Personal liability

NXA

The short version: I misdelivered a couple packages and they're gone. I admitted the misdelivery to the consignee, and they're pretty mad.

Yes, I know, never admit anything. Now on to my question: am I liable for the loss? It's "a couple hundred dollars." Tho the single DFU said 79.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If UPS pays a claim, they'll normally only pay the least amount possible, like; cost to replace at wholesale or actual price paid, not retail estimate. And 35years is correct, they can charge or disciplining you but not both. Usually under 100 your safe, but don't let them become habitual or they'll use this as evidence that you're not double checking the address. Everyone misdelivers at some point. Everyone.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
BOTTOM LINE

You deliver for a living !!! Deliver to the right houses.
It's one thing to DR a package and then it becomes missing, it's another to deliver it to the wrong house. SLOW DOWN
I'd be more worried about progressive discipline if I were you (verbal,written,suspension,termination)

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Heff is correct. Good advice. In our building. We have up to 300 dollars before the driver is given the bill. About 10 yrs ago a newbie had a 5k diamond missing. He just quit. Ups still paid for it

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Heff is correct. Good advice. In our building. We have up to 300 dollars before the driver is given the bill. About 10 yrs ago a newbie had a 5k diamond missing. He just quit. Ups still paid for it
Well shouldn't that 5k ring been considered a high value and a signature required. I've never in my 15 years have heard of a driver footing the bill for a lost/stolen pkg. You never know if the customer is being honest, so UPS cannot/should not bill the driver.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

BOTTOM LINE

You deliver for a living !!! Deliver to the right houses.
It's one thing to DR a package and then it becomes missing, it's another to deliver it to the wrong house. SLOW DOWN
I'd be more worried about progressive discipline if I were you (verbal,written,suspension,termination)
No ones perfect. As MC said everyone misdelivers at some point. EVERYONE!!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Well shouldn't that 5k ring been considered a high value and a signature required. I've never in my 15 years have heard of a driver footing the bill for a lost/stolen pkg. You never know if the customer is being honest, so UPS cannot/should not bill the driver.

Yes. It had no paper work. It was missed. By all

MC4YOU2

Also, as much as I hated it, the shipper is under no obligation to require a signature to prevent a driver release, though that would solve this issue in most cases. It would certainly be smart, but at $5k we had no such luxury in my center. At $10k, it would get HV status. Anything below that was just another package.
UPS obviously knows the insured value of a pkg at 9999.00, but they've decided to make the driver the insurer instead of risking the singling out of that pkg in the system to prevent theft. Oddly enough.

MC4YOU2

This is an area where the most productive and favorite runner gunners will shine in spite of most losses.
We had a guy that was like that who had a HV for a federal building that was across the street from a busy and popular restaurant. They were gone, and of course he didn't want to waste time on a second trip. He just dr'd it at the front door behind a garbage can. This was as I recall about a 15K pkg. Well, they couldn't find it and filed a claim. I was given the DF first and of course the guy it was for was gone that day. Anyway the driver finally got them to sign off on it and saved his ass.
No PCM, no mention of improper methods, no retraining. Just keep on a running.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
This is an area where the most productive and favorite runner gunners will shine in spite of most losses.
We had a guy that was like that who had a HV for a federal building that was across the street from a busy and popular restaurant. They were gone, and of course he didn't want to waste time on a second trip. He just dr'd it at the front door behind a garbage can. This was as I recall about a 15K pkg. Well, they couldn't find it and filed a claim. I was given the DF first and of course the guy it was for was gone that day. Anyway the driver finally got them to sign off on it and saved his ass.
No PCM, no mention of improper methods, no retraining. Just keep on a running.
Jesus h Christ who does this crap!?! Smh

rod

Retired 22 years

I don't know what happens now but they used to just deduct it from your pay if you couldn't make good on a driver follow up that turned into a claim. Might not have been done everywhere but that's the way it was at my center. I paid for a couple of packages myself in my early days.

barnyard

KTM rider
If UPS pays a claim, they'll normally only pay the least amount possible, like; cost to replace at wholesale or actual price paid, not retail estimate.

Actually, they will paid what the package is insured for/the declared value. I used to own a photo studio and shipped a bunch. I had 2 claims, both were last in Chicago and both were paid for the retail price that I insured them for.

MC4YOU2

Actually, they will paid what the package is insured for/the declared value. I used to own a photo studio and shipped a bunch. I had 2 claims, both were last in Chicago and both were paid for the retail price that I insured them for.

Maybe it's changed over time. My wife had a retail business that shipped product and the only way they'd pay was from an invoice proving our cost at that time. I figured they must've paid too many fake claims where they were paying more than replacement.