Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to pull up and read the GQ article before I wanted to comment. I saw nothing that a rational person would go to the point of outrage about. Could they be upset at the wording of his comment, sure. But you're not talking to a Rhodes scholar. He's a backwoods hick. No disrespect, I'm a cornfield hick. He basically says in one paragraph that he doesn't get how someone can choose a mans parts over a woman's. The next thing said was a quote from the bible. In neither were the slightest implication of hatred. His last statement should negate any negative comments as he goes on to say that
“We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?”

Sounds like a fair bit of tolerance and I happen to share that feeling.
My take on the man is he recognizes his past as a sinner, has repented and now has his faith, and is pretty tolerant and non judgmental. Nothing deserving of outrage or worthy of any penalty from A&E.

Read it for yourself

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sounds like a fair bit of tolerance and I happen to share that feeling.
My take on the man is he recognizes his past as a sinner, has repented and now has his faith, and is pretty tolerant and non judgmental. Nothing deserving of outrage or worthy of any penalty from A&E.

Read it for yourself

Maybe wkmac is on to something

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I see the whole damn thing useful in a mindless diversion that could go something like this.

While you're pre-occupied with nonsense, what is really happening where you are not looking?
Entertainment culture...solid example of the word, too. lol

en·ter·tain·ment
/ˌentərˈtānmənt/
noun
noun: entertainment
the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment.
"everyone just sits in front of the TV for entertainment"synonyms: amusement, pleasure, leisure, recreation, relaxation, fun, enjoyment, interest, diversion More

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll

over9five

Staff member
Never seen the show, never will, but ran across this:
http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-2010-sermon-homosexuality-gays-homophobia-a-and-e/

Take a look at the video (above) of a 2010 sermon at Berean Bible Church in Pennsylvania ... it's pretty much your typical bible-thumping drill. Phil calls gay people shameful, perverse, heartless, faithless, senseless God haters ... destined for the burning pits of hell

Let's remember the kind of crap the Obamas used to cheer about at church, and yet 51% of voters still chose him to be president.
It's definitely a sad world we live in!

roadrunner2012

Troll
Let's remember the kind of crap the Obamas used to cheer about at church, and yet 51% of voters still chose him to be president.
It's definitely a sad world we live in!
Obama did not preach the hate that Phil does. I can't find any evidence of him cheering the stupid things Rev Wright said, either.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is not another 'Bash Barry' thread. It's about that duck guy.

oldngray

nowhere special
Obama did not preach the hate that Phil does. I can't find any evidence of him cheering the stupid things Rev Wright said, either.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is not another 'Bash Barry' thread. It's about that duck guy.

Phil wasn't preaching. He was asked a question in an interview and answered honestly. And Phil did not say anything hateful. Quite the opposite. Hate the sin but love the sinner. He has never made a secret of his religious views and A&E knew about it when they hired him. Hypocritical of A&E to make a big issue about it now.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Gee, A & E are so upset they suspend Phil but the don't cancel the marathons of the Duck Dynasty on Dec. 22,23,24 &25 !!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
FromTMZ...

The Robertson family just drew a line in the sand with A&E -- NO PHIL, NO SHOW ... and says they are already talking to the cable channel about possibly pulling the plug on "Duck Dynasty."

The family issued a statement saying, "As a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of 'Duck Dynasty.'"

They also say they're "disappointed" that Phil Robertson was suspended by A&E just for expressing his religious beliefs ... which, they point out, is his "constitutionally protected right."

Fun fact: "Duck Dynasty" is the highest rated cable reality TV show ever.

Way to go A&E.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2o3I3Hckv

roadrunner2012

Troll
Phil wasn't preaching. He was asked a question in an interview and answered honestly. And Phil did not say anything hateful. Quite the opposite. Hate the sin but love the sinner. He has never made a secret of his religious views and A&E knew about it when they hired him. Hypocritical of A&E to make a big issue about it now.
Pretty sure he's preaching here:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-2010-sermon-homosexuality-gays-homophobia-a-and-e/

What do you call a "sermon at Berean Bible Church in Pennsylvania"?

oldngray

nowhere special

moreluck

golden ticket member
I saw an interview today with one of the sponsers and they will follow Duck Dynasty wherever they go.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Once again, not about President Obama. Nice racist statement there, boy.
Now youwant to eliminate the word boy because you think it's racist ??? Geeeeeez Louise !!

Is it a _____, or a girl?
___, that was a grueling day!

What would your substitution be?
If ovah referred to 'O' as boy, it was because he thought better than to call him your dog in the race !!

roadrunner2012

Troll
Now youwant to eliminate the word boy because you think it's racist ??? Geeeeeez Louise !!

Is it a _____, or a girl?
___, that was a grueling day!

What would your substitution be?
If ovah referred to 'O' as boy, it was because he thought better than to call him your dog in the race !!
Birds of a feather...

Status
Not open for further replies.