Picked for Feeders, 27 years in PC, what's next ?

ManInBrown

Buddy of mine told me some of the new feeders are automatics. Any truth to that? I have no problem driving a stick. I've never once stalled a manual ups truck, but if they are automatic it's one less thing to worry about when going into feeder. Automatic would be less intimidating when first starting out

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
All our new tractors are automatics, I had a mechanic tell me that UPS wouldn't be buying any more manuals.

rod

Retired 22 years
All our new tractors are automatics, I had a mechanic tell me that UPS wouldn't be buying any more manuals.

The pussifying of America. As much as UPS pinches a penny its hard to believe that they would stoop this low. Better mileage with a manual and more reliable. Some big wigs family member must own the automatic transmission company.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The pussifying of America. As much as UPS pinches a penny its hard to believe that they would stoop this low. Better mileage with a manual and more reliable. Some big wigs family member must own the automatic transmission company.
Its for insurance reasons. The automatics are equipped with crash avoidance tech and automatic braking. Lane deviation.

P

pickup

They are getting real close to eliminating the feeder driver job if you ask me.

Nah, they will still need someone to blame when the truck's automatic braking throws the tractor trailer combination into a jack knife.

ManInBrown

You really have to think, that down the line the government puts some type of law in effect regarding automation. If they don't the unemployment rate will be 30%. I think they'll let it happen to an extent, but there has to be a line somewhere.

I think we are still a long ways away from full blown automation taking jobs, but it's going to eventually happen. The government is going to have to step in.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
With computers doing the shifting, today's automatics get better mileage than manuals.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

I'm sure manual transmissions are more reliable but the autoshifts have a better mpg. Our Mack MDrives vs Mack 10 speeds are probably at least 1-1.5 mpg higher.

Pulling an empty or light set I've been over 9mpg many times with the autoshifts...It's tough to break 8 with the 10 speeds.

over9five

Staff member
I'm sure manual transmissions are more reliable but the autoshifts have a better mpg. Our Mack MDrives vs Mack 10 speeds are probably at least 1-1.5 mpg higher.

Pulling an empty or light set I've been over 9mpg many times with the autoshifts...It's tough to break 8 with the 10 speeds.
Add in the cost of DEF, is it still more economical?
Serious question.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I feel much more in control especially in bad conditions with a manual trans. I guess I can't really say for semi-tractors as I have never driven one on icy or snow-covered roads.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Add in the cost of DEF, is it still more economical?
Serious question.

What does DEF have to do with an automatic or 10 speed? These are all posts emissions tractors probably less than 2 years apart in age.

The tractors we run that are non DEF are lucky to break 6mpg. They pull a little better but on some runs it can be a 54 gallon average fill up vs an 85 gallon fill up x twice per day. I've used 110 gallons on a 440 mile run through the hills in an old International, the sets were heavy both ways which is unusual.

They only use a couple gallons of DEF per run so I'm sure the savings is substantial with the new tractors. I know there is more to the emissions than just DEF so when that is factored in I have no idea.

Last edited:

fedx

Extra Large Package
Its for insurance reasons. The automatics are equipped with crash avoidance tech and automatic braking. Lane deviation.
Manual tractors also have crash avoidance, auto braking, lane alert. The reason they are going to automatics is because they get slightly better mpg with electronic shifting and you multiply that by thousands of trucks and it means more profit in the company's mind. Also, I read somewhere UPS wants automatics so their drivers can concentrate on just driving-making it safer. FedEx is also switching to all automatics. The automatics are a lot slower getting going from a stop compared to a stick though.

Indecisi0n

Most of the new hires for package get disqualified because they don't know to drive stick. Maybe feeders run into this issue as well?

Johney

Most of the new hires for package get disqualified because they don't know to drive stick. Maybe feeders run into this issue as well?
If you can't drive a manual trans package car you're going to have a hell of a time learning a tractor manual trans. Two of the biggest problems with new feeder drivers is backing and shifting.