Picked for Feeders, 27 years in PC, what's next ?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Most of the new hires for package get disqualified because they don't know to drive stick. Maybe feeders run into this issue as well?
Most come from package so presumably they already know how to shift. Shifting a tractor is a lot different though, I've heard at least one trainer say sometimes it's better if they don't how to shift at all so they don't have to unlearn stuff like putting the clutch pedal all the way to the floor every time you shift.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Buddy of mine told me some of the new feeders are automatics. Any truth to that? I have no problem driving a stick. I've never once stalled a manual ups truck, but if they are automatic it's one less thing to worry about when going into feeder. Automatic would be less intimidating when first starting out
Then what do yah do when then hand you the keys to a stick !!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
When you take the CDL exam it will still need to be in a manual tractor. I'm not sure if it's everywhere or my state, but taking your CDL test in an automatic gives you a limited CDL only good for automatic tractor's.

Over 70

When you take the CDL exam it will still need to be in a manual tractor. I'm not sure if it's everywhere or my state, but taking your CDL test in an automatic gives you a limited CDL only good for automatic tractor's.

I know in my state it doesn't matter. I took an auto on my test just to have one less thing to worry about

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Better mileage with a manual.

Not True

Its for insurance reasons. The automatics are equipped with crash avoidance tech and automatic braking. Lane deviation.

So are the manuals.

With computers doing the shifting, today's automatics get better mileage than manuals.

True.

Add in the cost of DEF, is it still more economical?
Serious question.

The new manuals also use DEF.

I myself would prefer the Manuel trans , I want control of that thing on a snowy , icy nite

Me too.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Read several posts and weighed all the issues and Im ready to move on to feeders. I am here to ask for help. I am in Texas and was told I needed to get my CDL. This just happened couple of days ago and supposedly the process goes quickly. I downloaded the CDL application and started filling it out. Not sure what Im applying for. Class A is a given, but what about endorsements, CPL ? Instrastate or interstate. Haven't talked to anyone other than my Sup. and he's not sure. Any advice on what to concentrate on, (rules and regulation wise) ? I hope I can get some insight for y'all. Apparently all this is happening in April, but Im not wasting any time. Looking forward to hearing back.
You have a real swift management team.
out in the west you need almost every endorsement except passenger. ask another feeder driver what you need.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I went into feeders at age 30, after 8 something years in PC. I was #2 in my PC center in seniority. I knew I was going to work nights going in. My wife worked days. We made it work to our advantage. Had a babysitter the first part of the day, when I was sleeping, then when I woke up, I'd pick the kids up, and bring them home. Wife would get home, and I'd leave for work. I also scheduled the kid's doctor visits in the afternoons so I could take care of that as well. I actually saw my kids more while in feeders than I did in PC. T-ball and little league practice was in the afternoons, and I attended all those. Secret is to go to bed as soon as you get home from work, if possible. It'll leave you more time to do stuff in the afternoons. Had a hard time sleeping during the day at first. Used blackout curtains and unplugged the phone. Left a note on the doorbell that said you had better have a very good reason to ring this bell. I got with my next door neighbor about mowing his grass during the mornings. (he is a pilot and works weird hours, but is home a lot. He compromised and I learned to sleep during the day. I worked 29 years in feeders, and it was the best decision I ever made. No way I would have lasted 38 years in PC. There were about 125 drivers in feeders when I went in, and I moved up to about #15 when I retired. It's never too late to go into feeders, IMHO. You must learn that you are no longer driving a package car. Slow down and be aware of all your surroundings. Good luck to you.

almost my whole career in feeders was working at night except when I was relief. told family "unless the house is on fire, do not wake me up"

there are advantages to feeder as long as disadvantages. same in any job. but 9 out of 10 feeder drivers will tell you that it was a good decision.

you'll save on your body but probably expand your waist. you'll need to go to the gym now.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You have a real swift management team.
out in the west you need almost every endorsement except passenger. ask another feeder driver what you need.

Huh?

You never did know what you were talking about, did you?

You do not need...

Tanker
Hazmat
Passenger
Schoolbus

The only endorsement that you need is Doubles/Triples.

tdgolf

Ive learned that UPS tells me I don't need HazMat, Tanker, Passenger or School Bus. But drivers taking the CDL test say its on there. I probably won't have much time once Im officially called to start class. So I'll study those just so I don't bomb the test, sure as hell don't want to take it twice. Officially its Combos, Doubles/Triples and Air Brake endorsements.

badpal

Most of the new hires for package get disqualified because they don't know to drive stick. Maybe feeders run into this issue as well?
Heard that in the last 6 months we had a kid that an on car was going to give a driving test to before they sent him to school. The last 2 standards we had were red tagged ready to go to the crusher. So we paid a wrecker to go get one from a neighboring center, then when he didn't pass it we paid to tow it back.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Ive learned that UPS tells me I don't need HazMat, Tanker, Passenger or School Bus. But drivers taking the CDL test say its on there. I probably won't have much time once Im officially called to start class. So I'll study those just so I don't bomb the test, sure as hell don't want to take it twice. Officially its Combos, Doubles/Triples and Air Brake endorsements.
I forgot about the air brake endorsement. yes. I had tanker and almost everything else except school bus because I drove tanker trucks before UPS plus doubles/triples and everything in between. UPS has their own haz-mat training as you know but it is not recognized by other companies and it is not on your license. It is hard test but i would take it anyway.

it's good sense IMO to have as many tools in the toolbox as you can. you never know if you will need them.

good luck

FUH.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It is hard test but i would take it anyway.

Why? It is not necessary.

it's good sense IMO to have as many tools in the toolbox as you can. you never know if you will need them.

Just worry about getting what you need now to drive for UPS. He can always add endorsements later if he quits UPS and goes elsewhere.

Do not make it harder than it is now.

But drivers taking the CDL test say its on there.

Each of those are separate tests that you do not have to take.

To drive feeders for UPS, you need a Class A CDL with a "T" endorsement.

To get your Class A CDL Commercial Learners Permit (CLP), you must pass 3 parts:

1. General Knowledge exam. This is required for any type of CDL license.
2. Air Brakes
3. Combination Vehicle

This gets you a Class A CDL Commercial Learners Permit (CLP).

You also need to pass a 4th test:

Doubles/triples to get your "T" endorsement.

P

pickup

Manual tractors also have crash avoidance, auto braking, lane alert. The reason they are going to automatics is because they get slightly better mpg with electronic shifting and you multiply that by thousands of trucks and it means more profit in the company's mind. Also, I read somewhere UPS wants automatics so their drivers can concentrate on just driving-making it safer. FedEx is also switching to all automatics. The automatics are a lot slower getting going from a stop compared to a stick though.

We have a manual option on our automatics at Ups. You have to move the gear selector to "M" and then hit one button to move up in gearing and another button to go down in gearing.

I prefer to use the manual option when I need to move quickly from a dead stop , such as making a left turn across an intersection. Once I am through, I can slide the gear selector to "D" and the automatic will take over.

I can beat the automatic option in terms of speed from a dead stop all the time using the manual option .

Last edited by a moderator:

Johney

General Knowledge