Pickup Compliance Time...

BrownArmy

I also have an on-route pickup that I get anywhere from 11:30 to 3:00, depending on air and splits. I brought that to my on-car's attention and he put a note in the board. When I open that pickup in the diad a note pops up to pickup on route. I guess that keeps me off the non-compliance list as I haven't heard anything about it since!

I should see if I can do this in my center on a particular stop on a particular route...

Medium heavy business stop, gets stuff every single day...the guy shipping stuff out knows we're overworked, so even though the pickup in the board is for 4:15pm, he always has whatever he's sending out when we make delivery, which is anywhere between 9:45AM to 11:30 AM. He's real chill...if he doesn't have it going out when we make delivery, he just says "see you tomorrow!"...There would be no accurate time to put in the board as it's a potential hour and a half deviance every day.

If he doesn't have anything, no problem, just hit stop complete when you pick up the business next door.

Or else,

1. Prerecord anything going out between 9:45 and 11:30AM, and then STOP COMPLETE around the time the pickup is scheduled for...

2. Wait to scan anything picked up earlier at the scheduled pickup time, and then STOP COMPLETE (this is non-ideal, as there are many other pickups coming right up, you know how it gets hectic)...

I just hit STOP COMPLETE when I do the pickup, life's too short.

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If the customer had a problem with me calling to check for pickups I'd understand. But to break off deliveries and waste ten minutes to make a pickup that more often than not ships out nothing, especially on Fridays, doesn't make much common sense.

I'm all for customer service. I've always done everything I can to be courteous and professional to customers and people I work with, both management and hourly co-workers. However, with this economic situation, management doesn't realize (or seemingly care) about customer service, only numbers on reports. I'm just trying to keep my numbers in line, in any way possible, within reason (NOT skipping breaks) to keep my job.

K
Are you salary or hourly, because I get paid by the hour and I use every hour that I can. Besides, miles help your sporh.

In my center,they were big on this pickup compliance b.s. about a year ago for about a month with daily posted lists with our name and pickup compliance % on it. Then this stopped with almost never another mention of it. Then, today I was sent a message saying "You were only 70% compliant last week. Get with the OMS and fix your pickup log TODAY so this is fixed. I don't know if this happening everywhere,but where I am it looks like this is September's flavor of the month. Always something stupid going on to make our jobs so enjoyable. Oh well, more OT for me so I don't show up on some stupid report.
Same flavor here.

I have a stop that ships a lot of refrigerated medicines. They told me not to come by on Fridays as they didn't want any shipments sitting around in a trailer or building all weekend thawing out. I told my on-car supe and I suggested that I don't even complete the pickup if I am not making it and she agreed. No lying to gps and no commit time violation, because I never went there.

I also have an on-route pickup that I get anywhere from 11:30 to 3:00, depending on air and splits. I brought that to my on-car's attention and he put a note in the board. When I open that pickup in the diad a note pops up to pickup on route. I guess that keeps me off the non-compliance list as I haven't heard anything about it since!
Can your on car talk to my OMS?:knockedout:

beentheredonethat

The solution??

I was informed that my whole-entire-massive-4 pickups would be put in my DIAD starting at 4 o'clock and then every 5 minutes after that.

In other words, I am getting permission, by a supervisor, to stop-complete pickups that I am not even at just to make sure I am in compliance because he is getting his peepee slapped. I will be mentioning this to our center manager on Monday (covering my ass) and, YET AGAIN, UPS is giving us a glowing example of how inconsistent they are with how we do our job..

Here's a big issue that UPS has a problem with. The idea of giving our customers a routine time for pickups is a good idea. It's just that we go about it the wrong way. 1st, not all customers care about consistent pickup time, esp those on a resi route. But I'd say 90% do care. Second, for those that care, pick them up when they are supposed to. If you do it, great, if you can't, fine. We have an internal report that shows how well we performed. Then we fix the problems to get better results. We shouldn't be playing with the numbers. Also, re the calling a customer for a pickup to see if they have anything going out. I'm a little torn by it. But if the customer and the driver agree to it, then that's what's really important. Plus, usually when a customer helpds the driver, usually on occasion, the customer needs some help, later pickup time etc, and the driver usually reciprocates. I see that as a no harm no foul issue.

JustTired

free at last.......
Update:

I have been told by my on-road and the center manager that this is to be treated in the center as a 'work as directed' policy since it's also being done on a handful of other routes to keep the building in compliance.

Although I am stop completing them at the times requested I am putting them in pre-record as I physically get to the pick-up. Also, this was mentioned to the stewards and made a note of...

This is just one example of why the "numbers" are meaningless. I.E. puts out a number, then everyone cheats to get the number. Now that number becomes the standard by which all other numbers are obtained. After several years of adding up bogus numbers, the job becomes impossible to do (not literally, but as far as standards go). This doesn't help the company or the driver.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here's a big issue that UPS has a problem with. The idea of giving our customers a routine time for pickups is a good idea. It's just that we go about it the wrong way. 1st, not all customers care about consistent pickup time, esp those on a resi route. But I'd say 90% do care. Second, for those that care, pick them up when they are supposed to. If you do it, great, if you can't, fine. We have an internal report that shows how well we performed. Then we fix the problems to get better results. We shouldn't be playing with the numbers. Also, re the calling a customer for a pickup to see if they have anything going out. I'm a little torn by it. But if the customer and the driver agree to it, then that's what's really important. Plus, usually when a customer helpds the driver, usually on occasion, the customer needs some help, later pickup time etc, and the driver usually reciprocates. I see that as a no harm no foul issue.
I agree. I have some customers that ask me to call them, and since they don't ship everyday, I could really understand it in this case. On the other hand, I drive right by 100% of my pick ups, so why not just pop my head in and see?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This whole issue is just another classic example of an all-too- common UPS dysfunction...when the number becomes more important than the business element it was intended to measure.

tourists24

If it keeps my over/under in line and the sups off my back, I'll make the call. They (the sups) do what they gotta do, and I'm gonna do what I have to do.

K
that's ok,,, you just keep playing with that fire.... as long as nothing goes wrong you are ok,,,, but if not?... what if the business has pieces going out?

Kman845

Are you salary or hourly, because I get paid by the hour and I use every hour that I can. Besides, miles help your sporh.

I'm hourly. Been driving FT almost 6 years.

that's ok,,, you just keep playing with that fire.... as long as nothing goes wrong you are ok,,,, but if not?... what if the business has pieces going out?

That's why I call. I don't do this on my own route, only when I'm doing this other route when mine's busted. Calling a stop or two that seldom ship can save time, sometimes saving additional time cause I can finish and bring in air without having to drive to air drop and return to route.

K

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I'm hourly. Been driving FT almost 6 years.

That's why I call. I don't do this on my own route, only when I'm doing this other route when mine's busted. Calling a stop or two that seldom ship can save time, sometimes saving additional time cause I can finish and bring in air without having to drive to air drop and return to route.

K
Maybe if you didn't break the rules and cut corners to "save time" and make your supervisor look good, they wouldn't be so quick to bust your route.

Kman845

Maybe if you didn't break the rules and cut corners to "save time" and make your supervisor look good, they wouldn't be so quick to bust your route.

No, maybe they busted my route along with 10 or so others because ** NO ONE ** puts their name on the 9.5 list... again: **NO ONE**

When I spoke to my steward about this he told me I should put my name on the list. Yeah, lotta good that's gonna do, put my name on the list so I can be the only one and be an easy target for management. That'll do me a lotta good.

This 9.5 stuff might actually fly if management were required to submit to the Union, every Monday, a detailed list of all drivers and the hours they worked the previous week, documenting each day's hours worked per driver. If any driver works over 9.5 three days in a week its automatically grieved BY THE UNION.

I'm not on the list cause I don't want retribution from management, and I'm not alone. A few drivers used to be on the list but they came off, later rumored because management advised them it would be "In their best interests" NOT to be on the 9.5 list.

This contract would be much better if management abided by it instead of finding ways around it.

K

"Alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse" (Groucho Marx)

browned out

...and suppose they have more going and call in a concern saying you were there too early?

put em in as unscheduled pickups because these on area customers have no scheduled times. do not take credit in the scheduled pu on your board. when diad asks you did you complete scheduled pu answer no; this way you are not being dishonest or taking credit for extra stops. They have no integrity but keep yours. I have customers that close an hour earlier on Fridays so it they close at 4 on that day how can I stay within the 15 min of their usual 4;30 comit.

simple unsheduled pu or would ups rather have us sheet it closed.
yeah cust would be overjoyed with that

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
put em in as unscheduled pickups because these on area customers have no scheduled times. do not take credit in the scheduled pu on your board. when diad asks you did you complete scheduled pu answer no; this way you are not being dishonest or taking credit for extra stops. They have no integrity but keep yours. I have customers that close an hour earlier on Fridays so it they close at 4 on that day how can I stay within the 15 min of their usual 4;30 comit.

simple unsheduled pu or would ups rather have us sheet it closed.
yeah cust would be overjoyed with that

God, that is genius! I wish I had thought of doing that when they first started bugging us about pickup times:angry:

browned out

God, that is genius! I wish I had thought of doing that when they first started bugging us about pickup times:angry:

I would even go so far as to talk to your customers off the clock on a break or lunch and get it in writing. That this is what they want.

It is united parcel Service. This obsession with numbers irregardless of service to our customers needs borders on crazy; and I don't mean crazy like a fox. More like staight jacket, padded walls, lose business and customers type crazy.

porkwagon

I would even go so far as to talk to your customers off the clock on a break or lunch and get it in writing. That this is what they want.

It is united parcel Service. This obsession with numbers irregardless of service to our customers needs borders on crazy; and I don't mean crazy like a fox. More like staight jacket, padded walls, lose business and customers type crazy.

I agree, except for your use of the word "irregardless". That's not a word.

tourists24

No, maybe they busted my route along with 10 or so others because ** NO ONE ** puts their name on the 9.5 list... again: **NO ONE**

When I spoke to my steward about this he told me I should put my name on the list. Yeah, lotta good that's gonna do, put my name on the list so I can be the only one and be an easy target for management. That'll do me a lotta good.

This 9.5 stuff might actually fly if management were required to submit to the Union, every Monday, a detailed list of all drivers and the hours they worked the previous week, documenting each day's hours worked per driver. If any driver works over 9.5 three days in a week its automatically grieved BY THE UNION.

I'm not on the list cause I don't want retribution from management, and I'm not alone. A few drivers used to be on the list but they came off, later rumored because management advised them it would be "In their best interests" NOT to be on the 9.5 list.

This contract would be much better if management abided by it instead of finding ways around it.

K

"Alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse" (Groucho Marx)
Why would the company care about how long you work if they know you are too scared to file a 9.5 grievance? It would be nice if they would just abide by the contract, but if they know you wont file, then contract violations dont matter.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
I agree, except for your use of the word "irregardless". That's not a word.

So how come you didn't correct his use of the words "staight jacket" [sic]? It's "straitjacket". And it should have read "customers' needs", not "customers needs".

Now who's the one who doesn't sound so smart?