PLEASE! MAPP Help! Operations Manager Trainee

atlantis

Hello everyone!
I am an external candidate for operations manager trainee position..
So far, I have passed the 100 question test, and an inbox test..
Now I am scheduled for a panel interview, which will be on the phone..
I need help.. What should I expect on a panel interview? How should I prepare myself for this?
Thank you!!

bones

stay consistent, think of protecting the companies liability and providing service to the customer. Will probably give many different senario's and ask you what you would do. When giving senarios involving employee punishment should fit the crime. Good luck, very tough thankless job but it pays the bills.

Hello everyone!
I am an external candidate for operations manager trainee position..
So far, I have passed the 100 question test, and an inbox test..
Now I am scheduled for a panel interview, which will be on the phone..
I need help.. What should I expect on a panel interview? How should I prepare myself for this?
Thank you!!
The call will be with an HR employee, not the manager who grades the interview though.It will be several scenarios that they will ask you about. You will be given some time to gather your thoughts after each question, have a pen and paper handy!! Focus your answer on servicing the customer, SAFETY (very important), and treating employees with common sense. Be as honest as you can. Some of my questions involved an unhappy customer, an employee with an attendance problem (but he had a very sick child at home to complicate the question), and an employee that deserted after getting in an argument with a customer and we couldn't locate him/her.

Just relax and realize that the other person on the line isn't the one that is grading you. So take your time, formulate your answer, and give succinct answers.

atlantis

The call will be with an HR employee, not the manager who grades the interview though.It will be several scenarios that they will ask you about. You will be given some time to gather your thoughts after each question, have a pen and paper handy!! Focus your answer on servicing the customer, SAFETY (very important), and treating employees with common sense. Be as honest as you can. Some of my questions involved an unhappy customer, an employee with an attendance problem (but he had a very sick child at home to complicate the question), and an employee that deserted after getting in an argument with a customer and we couldn't locate him/her.

Just relax and realize that the other person on the line isn't the one that is grading you. So take your time, formulate your answer, and give succinct answers.

Thank you so much for your reply..
I am scared of getting nervous or giving wrong answers.. I guess I should make a research about how to deal with employees who have attendance problems caused by personal problems!
------

thank you both for your answers!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I'm a little more concerned with why we are hiring 'external' people for an Operations manager position. I thought that was one of the last few spots that are truly filled from within....

The panel interview should be of no concern. Just follow the tips the folks told you already. It's easy compared to the way it was before. You should be more worried about the operation you will be taking over and gaining respect from not only the union employees, but the part time supervisors that will be working for you.

Taking an ops manager off the street? Really UPS?

curiousbrain

I'm a little more concerned with why we are hiring 'external' people for an Operations manager position. I thought that was one of the last few spots that are truly filled from within....

The panel interview should be of no concern. Just follow the tips the folks told you already. It's easy compared to the way it was before. You should be more worried about the operation you will be taking over and gaining respect from not only the union employees, but the part time supervisors that will be working for you.

Maybe it's different in Air, but I will try to be succinct about how (so far as I can see, anyway) things work in "Ground".

The manager doesn't give a rotten rats arse what anyone thinks, or why they have the job. Just do what I say - and if what I say is wrong, do it anyway and expect to be scolded for failure.

That's pretty much it.

Justaname

It's kind of scary, most of the driver sups and center managers I've spoken to have been here 20+ years. Now theyre going to be here less than a month and running a center. Yikes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It's what they call a supervisor position these days.
Makes it sound better and more promising.
I was a manager trainee for 5 years ... at the time I just thought I was a supervisor.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Maybe it's different in Air, but I will try to be succinct about how (so far as I can see, anyway) things work in "Ground".

The manager doesn't give a rotten rats arse what anyone thinks, or why they have the job. Just do what I say - and if what I say is wrong, do it anyway and expect to be scolded for failure.

That's pretty much it.

I have spent time in ground as well....yes it's all the same everywhere. But still, a FT supervisor position filled by someone off the street to run an area in an operation is about as bad of an idea as it gets.

And Hoax, I figured it was referring to a supervisor position...am I right to assume it's talking about full time supervision?

atlantis

Hello, well this is not a permanent position.. It is just a operations manager trainee program that lasts 6 months with intend to hire permanently. So when they hire permanently it will be within the company..