Pre-trip, Post-trip and DVIR. Is it necessary and why isn't it enforced?

just interested

I just heard of a serious acicident somewhere in Virginia. Supposedly the car was written up for no brakes. Previous driver didn't turn in report. Another driver jumped in, took it out without looking in the book, and ran into a house. It will interesting to hear what happens to both drivers.

That's awful! Was anyone hurt? Do you have a story link ??

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Does Federal Law require the post-trip to be done at the very end of the day? If so, where should it be done?

Should each returning driver hold up the incoming line while he post-trips?

Should they clog up the parking lot?

If they try to do it after parking on line, how could they walk around their vehicle with other vehicles squeezed next to it?

I don't know of any law requiring a post trip. Law requires the DVIR to be completed. I don't think the law actually says it requires a pre-trip. It just says the driver must be reasonably assured that the vehicle is free of safety and break down defects before operating it.

It boggles my mind that we have people that drive vehicles till the wheels fall off and they have no idea that something is wrong until they see the wheel roll by...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We recently had DIAD Training concerning filling out the DVIR. I have always done mine, its part of the job. It is a Federal law, and I think I have heard that the driver can be personally fined up to $5000. Its not hard to do, I have never understood why drivers with 20+ years skip it and the company never seems to enforce it.