Pretty clear at this point UPS is going to let this strike happen

I'm all for fair wages with this company, but I would like to see strong language on retirement and working conditions. We do get paid fairly well, and if a PT'er want's more money, then there's FT positions. When I was working PT in the AM, I also found another job...hence...PT.

I do get the fact a PT employee needs to eat and pay rent, I used the PT for benefits, health, and paid rent split 3 or 4 ways with roommates, we made it work.

I don't see how a PT can pay for a mortgage working PT in any job.

Again, I'm not against what we are trying to do, just throwing out a different objective in terms of where employees should source income.

That being said, I would like to see the PT wages increase, but obviously there's a sustainable limit for both sides.
That and more full times jobs available. I'm a part-timer also working a full-time job elsewhere. Obviously I understand that part-time jobs, no matter where you work, aren't going to provide enough. If more full time jobs were available to eventually move to, there wouldn't be such a high turnover rate for preload and twilight. Part-timers at my center make $16.20/hr. It's ridiculous.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so. Losing business every day to competitors, if they weren’t willing to let it happen they would’ve came back to the table. IMO O’Brien overplayed his hand. I feel bad for anyone with less than 5 years company time. See everyone out on the picket line.
I def expect a big volume drop off next week. Hasn’t happened here yet though

My point was clear I thought.

If you NEED more money, then a second job will net more money.

The part you mention about "Where is anyone acting like it's a single job" is a moot point. I never mentioned or implied that.

I also stated I'm FOR HIGHER WAGES, but I also have stated there's a balance point in regards to profits.

I feel we are treading into areas that MAY not work out as we hope for.

Hypothetically...what happens after $25 per hour? Do you think UPS will ever pay $40 for PT work?

We need room for raises, and we are taking a huge bite out of that.

I may be wrong..but again, just an opinion.
They definitely need to pay more than $16.20/hr. Thats what they pay us loaders at my center. That's coming from someone who also has a full-time job. Inflation has ruined $16.20 being a decent wage for a part-time job.

HarryWarden

They definitely need to pay more than $16.20/hr. Thats what they pay us loaders at my center. That's coming from someone who also has a full-time job. Inflation has ruined $16.20 being a decent wage for a part-time job.
It’s just weird to me how so many people are ignoring the difference in pay from the 80s to now for the same job, if not harder with increased flow

My prediction is ups is going to come back with a stronger offer at the last minute, but still below teamsters demands. Teamsters will declare strike, and ups with either agree to the demands within a day, or they will draw It out for a very long time
If they don't let us vote, it will completely diminish all of the changes they made in the constitution at the convention. The whole idea of that was the importance and meaning of voting.

YourMissingCallTag

Most of them need to understand a single PT job won't finance a vehicle, rent, iphone 15 MAX, restaurants, insurance, utilities, etc.

This is where I think we may have issues with this contract. Again, I'm for COLA and fair wages, but you need to find a 2nd job or go FT if you want to live on your own.
The bigger picture is the union has to get as much as they can for part timers. How will they be able to go to other big corporations and sell the value of being in a union if people see that non union jobs are paying more? Part timers do deserve a healthy raise so we can keep the best workers we can get but to try to sell “living wages” for part timers is like fighting windmills…..

The bigger picture is the union has to get as much as they can for part timers. How will they be able to go to other big corporations and sell the value of being in a union if people see that non union jobs are paying more? Part timers do deserve a healthy raise so we can keep the best workers we can get but to try to sell “living wages” for part timers is like fighting windmills…..
Well they do not advertise the healthcare package and the pension package that the part-timers have.

That's almost unheard of in the part-time workforce

Unfortunately most people are looking for the dollar amount in your check, which is important but..
Nobody keeps our eye on the prize anymore it's all about today
YOLO

HarryWarden

Well they do not advertise the healthcare package and the pension package that the part-timers have.

That's almost unheard of in the part-time workforce

Unfortunately most people are looking for the dollar amount in your check, which is important but..
Nobody keeps our eye on the prize anymore it's all about today
YOLO
Most part timers are gone before 5 years and don’t tap into the pension, and are gone before they’re 26 so they never use insurance either. UPS doesn’t pay for a lot of it and they know it

They were paying equivalent to $33 an hour for part timers in the 80s plus the benefits, they’ve been riding the dirt cheap labor and using a revolving door of young kids to do the majority of their work force for decades