Prudential Retirement

Future

Victory Ride
I meant better investment options.
I can't believe how many don't save anything at all.
image.gif

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I've been putting 10% of my pre-tax pay into it since 1996 & I'm glad I did now that I'm close to retirement. You can get a loan from it before age 59-1/2 for education, medical, or foreclosure only. However, remember, this should be a last resort option as you will pay 10% penalty to the government & interest on the loan which you will pay back w/after tax dollars. So, yes, invest in it-but only as much as you feel comfortable not being able to use til you're 59 1/2. Hope this helps

You are a bit off on the loan information. You are taking a loan out against YOUR OWN money. You are paying YOURSELF back. The downside is you lose the income that your monies would otherwise have made during the loan repayment but no penalty. The approved reasons for a loan include buying a primary residence not just to avoid foreclosure.

I've been putting 10% of my pre-tax pay into it since 1996 & I'm glad I did now that I'm close to retirement. You can get a loan from it before age 59-1/2 for education, medical, or foreclosure only. However, remember, this should be a last resort option as you will pay 10% penalty to the government & interest on the loan which you will pay back w/after tax dollars. So, yes, invest in it-but only as much as you feel comfortable not being able to use til you're 59 1/2. Hope this helps
No 10% penalty on a loan.

lazydriver

Put away any money you can afford. The fees are low and you manage where your money is allocated. It is also tax deferred. I retired a few years ago at age 51 and can't touch my ups401K, but it will probably have over 1mil when I begin to withdraw at 60.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
If I was a driver I would be doing the 5 percent that is allowed for after tax for the 401k.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why pay any fees. It lacks physical assets.
Because I don't do investments for a living, I'll pay someone else who does at a discount to do them for me. If the returns suck I'll switch it, so far I've been pleased with the limited selection of funds we have.

twoweeled

If I was a driver I would be doing the 5 percent that is allowed for after tax for the 401k.
That's what I did for a few years. I'm happy I did now. Some people might ask why? I'm sure most of us will agree, we'll NEVER save too much money. I now have an extra $100K, already been taxed, dollars.
If you start contributing early on, later on you won't even notice it and you'll live on what remains - which really shouldn't be too difficult.
no brainer. Max out!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
That's what I did for a few years. I'm happy I did now. Some people might ask why? I'm sure most of us will agree, we'll NEVER save too much money. I now have an extra $100K, already been taxed, dollars.
If you start contributing early on, later on you won't even notice it and you'll live on what remains - which really shouldn't be too difficult.
no brainer. Max out!

That's my point. 5 percent of a drivers check is pretty significant. Plus its already taxed and you can take out anytime you want to. That is why I am not sure why a lot of drivers don't do it.