Prudential Retirement

twoweeled

I would do both after tax and before tax. I would do the five percent because has a drive it is a pretty good amount going in each check. Plus it adds up fast and it isn't taxed.
The 5% after tax, is taxed. But it's just more money saved. I understand and accept, there is no tax benefit - but the more money saved benefit is still there. We as employees, will never reach the point of saying:
"Damn! I think I saved too much money!!!
upload_2016-5-11_9-21-35.jpeg

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The after tax section is nothing more than a savings account. Not sure why you wouldn't just open one and move money there every Friday? If you are looking at using it as an investment vehicle, you still pay taxes on the growth, just as if you opened your own investment account. I'm not seeing any benefit besides the direct withdrawal from your paycheck to the account.

twoweeled

The after tax section is nothing more than a savings account. Not sure why you wouldn't just open one and move money there every Friday? If you are looking at using it as an investment vehicle, you still pay taxes on the growth, just as if you opened your own investment account. I'm not seeing any benefit besides the direct withdrawal from your paycheck to the account.
If your the type of person who is disciplined enough to put a certain amount of money into a savings account and never touch it, well you are absolutely correct. I'm pretty sure the majority of us would not do that. I know I wouldn't have. It just makes it a little easier, and helps keep me on track.
But if your disciplined enough, my hat is off to you.
your better than I am!!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Roth after tax grows tax free.

That's a little different from a savings account where earnings are taxable.

twoweeled

Roth after tax grows tax free.

That's a little different from a savings account where earnings are taxable.
A Roth is different, you are correct. That probably is a good idea. There are restrictions on income I believe. I'm not sure what they are. But a Roth is Better than after tax, if your eligible. I'd say max your 401K, max your Roth, then Max into after tax - in that order.
Good luck at getting the wife to do the same!
104b679f9ac62a5809968628e593b7ee.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A Roth is different, you are correct. That probably is a good idea. There are restrictions on income I believe. I'm not sure what they are. But a Roth is Better than after tax, if your eligible. I'd say max your 401K, max your Roth, then Max into after tax - in that order.
Good luck at getting the wife to do the same!
104b679f9ac62a5809968628e593b7ee.jpg
I told my wife from day one we will set it up so you max out your 401k. Never miss it if it isn't there. Between her company match and profit sharing it's pretty much a 100% match.