PT Supervisor Payscale - historically

Title really explains what I'm looking for, but I'll explain my reason:

To keep it simple, I've heard that PT Sups used to be compensated between 2500-3500/month as compared to now they are compensated between 1800-2000/month.

Is that true, and if so, what gives?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
A part time sup that's been a part time sup for 15 years told me he takes home 1,000 a week after taxes...I find that hard to believe...walking around with a clipboard telling people what trailer to unload should not be a high paying job

km3

PT sups are paid by the hour and guaranteed 27.5 hours per week. Starting pay is around $15 to $16 per hour

Damn. I might've accepted the offer to become a PT sup were that actually the case in my building. Around here, it's 27.5 hours, yes, but the weekly pay is only $300, which comes out to $10.90 before taxes. A solid $0.60 less than what my straight time rate is now. And I'd have to pay for my own insurance. That day is coming soon, but right now I'm enjoying my free ride. Screw that.

I only have to double shift once to make more in a week than any of my PT supervisors, and it's open season right now.

PT Car Washer

Damn. I might've accepted the offer to become a PT sup were that actually the case in my building. Around here, it's 27.5 hours, yes, but the weekly pay is only $300, which comes out to $10.90 before taxes. A solid $0.60 less than what my straight time rate is now. And I'd have to pay for my own insurance. That day is coming soon, but right now I'm enjoying my free ride. Screw that.

I only have to double shift once to make more in a week than any of my PT supervisors, and it's open season right now.
There is always a catch. Always read the fine print.

km3

Hourly wage is contractual, Teamster leadership had to be pushed to move wage to 10 per hour.

Yes, but the contract says wages and raises "shall be minimums" (Articles 17, 22.5c). With permission from the local union, UPS could pay more if they wanted to. And I can't imagine any local union saying no to that.

Box Ox

Why not offer PT hourly $15/hr and a 3.5 hour guarantee? Would go a long way to solve the staffing problems in the Hubs.

Something should be done. As the economy has continued to get better it seems like the quality of new PT preloaders willing to work for current starting wages has dropped off a cliff where I am. If one of them loads your route you are absolutely boned.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, but the contract says wages and raises "shall be minimums" (Articles 17, 22.5c). With permission from the local union, UPS could pay more if they wanted to. And I can't imagine any local union saying no to that.

Why would the company need "permission" from the local union to pay their employees more than the minimum, if said pay was applied equally across the board?

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I was making $24.10 as a PT sup before I went driving, would have been nice to have my progression red circled at that rate

Last edited:

km3

Why would the company need "permission" from the local union to pay their employees more than the minimum, if said pay was applied equally across the board?

There are fine details that would need to be worked out. What happens to the wages of employees who currently make less than whatever the proposed new starting rate would be, for one thing. Do they get bumped up to the new starting rate, or do they get bumped up to the new starting rate AND retain their raises?

For example, I've gotten $1.50/hr in raises since I've worked here. A $1.00 skilled pay increase, and a $0.50 annual raise. I make $11.50/hr, straight time right now. If they were to raise the starting rate to $15.00, would that be my new rate because it's higher than what I'm making now anyway, or would it be $16.50, to include my raises?

The escape clause is another detail they would want to work out. UPS will inevitably want to lower starting rates at some point in the future, and the local union probably wouldn't allow that unless employees who were able to receive the new starting rate/got a raise because of the starting rate change could keep their raise(s). In other words, no new hires at $15.00 getting bumped down to $10.15 a few months later when the escape clause is invoked. No unskilled 2-year employees who got bumped from $11.00 to $16.00 getting knocked back down to $11.00.

There are fine details that need to be worked out to make the transition as fair and understandable as possible for all parties involved.

Some of you that are FT sups or managers, I'd love to have an answer and not sarcastic UPS management answer:

I need a raise. If UPS, and my managers, want me to do what they've told me they want me to do, then I need a raise to help bridge the gap until I get there. I've said something before but it always gets glossed over or lost in the BS. If I take a second job, then I won't be able to get the degree that they want me to get, nor take the position they want me to take next May. But I also won't be able to keep living with my current level of compensation. I'm behind on bills and my car is being held together by wishes and hope (okay, it's actually copper bailing wire, but point still stands - it isn't safe to drive and it's a matter of days until it falls apart). My only other option is quitting UPS and taking out student loans. I don't like that option very much, but I won't go through this next year living the way I've been having to live. I shouldn't ever have to go to the store and buy two loaves of bread + PB and J so that I can eat all week. I work well over 27.5 (they aren't ignorant, they know - they see me come in at 2am and leave at 930 or 10) but I make less than 24k/year.

Something has to give, and it can't keep being my stomach, my car, or my quality of life. Because there is no more quality to be sacrificed.

What are the odds that upper management will stump up and give me a deserving raise? What are the odds that my affiliation with UPS ends by the end of August?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Title really explains what I'm looking for, but I'll explain my reason:

To keep it simple, I've heard that PT Sups used to be compensated between 2500-3500/month as compared to now they are compensated between 1800-2000/month.

Is that true, and if so, what gives?
HR did a study of comparable positions in the Transportation industry.
UPS paid the highest in the industry back when.
UPS's goal is to be at industry average.
Only the driver's stand above UPS's efforts to make UPS an average corporation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Some of you that are FT sups or managers, I'd love to have an answer and not sarcastic UPS management answer:

I need a raise. If UPS, and my managers, want me to do what they've told me they want me to do, then I need a raise to help bridge the gap until I get there. I've said something before but it always gets glossed over or lost in the BS. If I take a second job, then I won't be able to get the degree that they want me to get, nor take the position they want me to take next May. But I also won't be able to keep living with my current level of compensation. I'm behind on bills and my car is being held together by wishes and hope (okay, it's actually copper bailing wire, but point still stands - it isn't safe to drive and it's a matter of days until it falls apart). My only other option is quitting UPS and taking out student loans. I don't like that option very much, but I won't go through this next year living the way I've been having to live. I shouldn't ever have to go to the store and buy two loaves of bread + PB and J so that I can eat all week. I work well over 27.5 (they aren't ignorant, they know - they see me come in at 2am and leave at 930 or 10) but I make less than 24k/year.

Something has to give, and it can't keep being my stomach, my car, or my quality of life. Because there is no more quality to be sacrificed.

What are the odds that upper management will stump up and give me a deserving raise? What are the odds that my affiliation with UPS ends by the end of August?
Get your degree.
UPS is headed towards a totally average corporation.
Find a way to reduce your hours and study for your degree ... wasting your abilities otherwise.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hourly wage is contractual, Teamster leadership had to be pushed to move wage to 10 per hour.
OK ... that may be the biggest lie ever told on Brown Cafe.
UPS wants to pay more but drivers will not take back a few of the dollars they stole from P/T over the years via the Teamster's contract negotiations.