Punches changed to 'No Call' on WOR

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Punching in late means that you may lose your daily guarantee and, as shown above, may result in you being sent home and your time card coded as NC/NS.

Usually if you are just a few minutes late they will adjust your time card back to your start time; however, if you are 15 minutes or more late you most likely will be sent home and the day will be coded as NC/NS.
What is the practice? Nobody has authority at UPS to adjust a time card without telling you.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
This post is geared towards those who are shop stewards or has in-depth knowledge of the union contracts.

I will be turning in a grievance this week and have all papers, evidence ready. The situation was I misread my schedule thus accidentally starting 15 minutes late. Last time I was late was by 2 minutes during the first week of January. I clocked in, threw a package noting the tracking number, spoke with supervisor owning up to my error. She requested I leave the sort then changed my punch to a 'No Call' on the WOR. Punches where 4:15 in, 4:18 out. She advised me I was being considered an 'NCNS' for that day. The punch log should show that she edited my punches to a 'No Call'. I did write a package tracking number down before leaving as secondary proof that I was in the hub.

Due to such unorthodox procedures in my hub, I must disclose so perhaps some of you in my district may be able to offer any advice. My hub is 0764 DFW Air, 19th St, DFW Airport, TX. The areas in the hub affected are sort aisle, unload, small sorts, outbound on both night and sunrise. Time cards are not being edited to NCNS for tardies on day sort, twilight, preload (all shifts), and ramp (all shifts).

In the grievance, I am protesting lost wages of $.82 / 3 minutes, falsification of the time card, and unfair enforcement (another person was allowed to work despite being 8 min late)

Considering the situation above, which clause under the supplement for my region can be applied. Been reading through the book and well...it is very understandable for anyone to be baffled by this.

You stated you threw a package..did you mean sort a package? Is "threw a package" slang for sorting packages? If not you should be happy she only coded you as a NCNS instead of terminating you for workplace violence.

NCNS is used when a employee does not notify UPS within 1 hour of start time that they will be absent, late etc: etc: pretty much standard here also.

If you show up late we have the right to send you home or work you and adjust your time card accordingly. Did you punch in in your work area or across the building? If you did we don't owe you 3 minutes.

What they do on the rest of the shifts is irrelevant, your supervisor or manager makes the decision for his or operation.

Time card edits are easily managed, I have my OMS staff document all t/c edits, print t/c before and after edit and I sign the log everyday. I don't need employee's approval I just have to make the t/c edit available for review. If you disagree that the edit is wrong and I agree we edit your card again. If I don't agree you can grieve it. This process is way to easy to manage and I don't know why management does not do it everyday.

Take a deep breath, sounds like you are decent employee, let it roll you will be fine.

clean hairy

If an employee punches in late, and it takes 2 min to inform the employee they are late and to go home, the employee should be paid.
As per the contract "paid for time"
Even if it is only 30 seconds.....
The worst that should happen is for the employee to be coded "late" that day.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
If an employee punches in late, and it takes 2 min to inform the employee they are late and to go home, the employee should be paid.
As per the contract "paid for time"
Even if it is only 30 seconds.....
The worst that should happen is for the employee to be coded "late" that day.

payroll adjustment and you are still coded as NCNS..easy fix.

clean hairy

We can agree to disagree, but on the clock for 3 min is to be paid per the contract...
It is just as wrong to take 3 min from an employee as it is for an employee to stand at the timeclock 3 min before punching out.
It is stealing time in both instances.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
We can agree to disagree, but on the clock for 3 min is to be paid per the contract...
It is just as wrong to take 3 min from an employee as it is for an employee to stand at the timeclock 3 min before punching out.
It is stealing time in both instances.

Not stealing anything, employee was not in the work area at start time (I am guessing for the sake of the discussion), no pay due.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
NCNS is used when a employee does not notify UPS within 1 hour of start time that they will be absent, late etc: etc: pretty much standard here also.
How does an employee remain compliant to this standard?
Is it reasonable to expect an employee to "schedule" his illnesses and personal business to be in compliance with the mandated "1 hour before start time rule"???....

....and while we're at it, what's the penalty for NCNS, or is it just a fancy acronym for an occurrence???

F

Frankie's Friend

You stated you threw a package..did you mean sort a package? Is "threw a package" slang for sorting packages? If not you should be happy she only coded you as a NCNS instead of terminating you for workplace violence.

If you show up late we have the right to send you home or work you and adjust your time card accordingly. Did you punch in in your work area or across the building? If you did we don't owe you 3 minutes.

What they do on the rest of the shifts is irrelevant, your supervisor or manager makes the decision for his or operation.

Time card edits are easily managed, I have my OMS staff document all t/c edits, print t/c before and after edit and I sign the log everyday. I don't need employee's approval I just have to make the t/c edit available for review. If you disagree that the edit is wrong and I agree we edit your card again. If I don't agree you can grieve it. This process is way to easy to manage and I don't know why management does not do it everyday.

Take a deep breath, sounds like you are decent employee, let it roll you will be fine.
Not stealing anything, employee was not in the work area at start time (I am guessing for the sake of the discussion), no pay due.
:bsbullf: X 3
A. You admit thst if t he employee catches you editing his time card you have to change it. Stupid dragon:fishbashsmile:.
B. If the employee has a stsrt time he/she starts work even if he/she is a little late getting to their work area. The company has to give another "on call" employee an hour to show up when cslled in for any reason so why wouldnt you work the slightly tardy employee first?
Answer: so you can work a supervisor until the "on call" employee shows up.
Are you from upstate new york too? Yer dumber than i thought you were if you do this and i hope you do get filed on every day on every shift goober dude.

UPS Preloader

We are not required to be at our work areas at the start time. That’s just something you like to make everyone think they need to do. We are required to be punched in. At the start time management is required to tells us where our work area is for that day and to tell us to assemble for a PCM if they are going to have one.

F

Frankie's Friend

Ps @Dragon dude,
Why does the compsny have a code for "late" if it constitutes a ncns if the employee is late. Yer so dumb dude. That's why the hourly employee looks down on you dude. You should see a doctor for low blood flow in your brain dude.

F

Frankie's Friend

We are not required to be at our work areas at the start time. That’s just something you like to make everyone think they need to do. We are required to be punched in. At the start time management is required to tells us where our work area is for that day and to tell us to assemble for a PCM if they are going to have one.
Yer messing up his dumb rebuttal dude. Dont make the dumb dragon cry.

herbigharo32

Terminated for workplace violence? HUH? Throwing a truck, package, or belt is same as unloading, sorting, etc...Maybe I picked up the lingo from 25 years working in grocery which is my other job.

The hub I work in has timeclocks throughout the facility. The belt in question, it is located about 150' down at end of sort aisle so it does take about a min to get from clock to work area. The biggest problem with coding late arrivals as NCNS is there is no way of remembering who was layed off under 'Art 49.1.A' or actually not show up for work. A few weeks back, there were 9 irreg trailers with 3 employees sitting in the break room at beginning of shift showing up 5 minutes late, ON PURPOSE! Can those guys be wrote up? Sure! But the discipline will get tossed out due to 57 NCNS on sort aisle and unload in the last month alone!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Terminated for workplace violence? HUH? Throwing a truck, package, or belt is same as unloading, sorting, etc...Maybe I picked up the lingo from 25 years working in grocery which is my other job.

The hub I work in has timeclocks throughout the facility. The belt in question, it is located about 150' down at end of sort aisle so it does take about a min to get from clock to work area. The biggest problem with coding late arrivals as NCNS is there is no way of remembering who was layed off under 'Art 49.1.A' or actually not show up for work. A few weeks back, there were 9 irreg trailers with 3 employees sitting in the break room at beginning of shift showing up 5 minutes late, ON PURPOSE! Can those guys be wrote up? Sure! But the discipline will get tossed out due to 57 NCNS on sort aisle and unload in the last month alone!

Well I guess you did answer the question.

Sounds like your hub has some issues and you are one of them.

Good luck with your grievance.