Punished for getting hurt......

Nickjillb

Hi everyone. I recently strained a muscle in my neck during preload. It didnt hurt at the time, just normal aches. After leaving the pain continually got worse. About 3-4 hours after I left, I can only describe the pain as debilitating and excruciating......definitely worst pain ever. Anyway, I called my supervisor who directed me down to his office. After going to the doc----diagnosed with cervical strain, i went home. Was supposed to return to work next day, but didnt. (drugged up on some loopy stuff)I showed up the next day to a panel of guys who proceeded to explain why I was being twice written up. Once for my attendance, and the other for not following correct procedure regarding an injury. Can anyone give me some advice as how to contest at least the notice for procedure?

chopstic

sick, injured, or otherwise... you are suppose to call in to notify them of your absence. Or else it can be recorded as a "no call/no show". They are probably disgruntled about a possible injury going on the record. I've heard that if someone needs to see a doctor because of work related pain it automatically counts against the centers safety numbers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hi everyone. I recently strained a muscle in my neck during preload. It didnt hurt at the time, just normal aches. After leaving the pain continually got worse. About 3-4 hours after I left, I can only describe the pain as debilitating and excruciating......definitely worst pain ever. Anyway, I called my supervisor who directed me down to his office. After going to the doc----diagnosed with cervical strain, i went home. Was supposed to return to work next day, but didnt. (drugged up on some loopy stuff)I showed up the next day to a panel of guys who proceeded to explain why I was being twice written up. Once for my attendance, and the other for not following correct procedure regarding an injury. Can anyone give me some advice as how to contest at least the notice for procedure?

Yes! I'm sorry, (mgmt name here), I promise to show up for work when I'm supposed to.

kopykat

Yep, sounds like he planned to be injured (insert sarcasm).

I am glad that everyone working for UPS is a doctor and therefore can diagnose any and all pains to know if they qualify as an "injury", although our class was told not to report aches and pains, they didn't count. Sorry, but management is not the only ones that can get disgruntled about medical conditions that are outside someones control, yet get counted against them.

Okay, I will shut up now.

kat

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yep, sounds like he planned to be injured (insert sarcasm).

I am glad that everyone working for UPS is a doctor and therefore can diagnose any and all pains to know if they qualify as an "injury", although our class was told not to report aches and pains, they didn't count. Sorry, but management is not the only ones that can get disgruntled about medical conditions that are outside someones control, yet get counted against them.

Okay, I will shut up now.

kat

All well and good, but, he should have called out. He just never shoed up to work. Injury or not, you still have responsibilities.

kopykat

All well and good, but, he should have called out. He just never shoed up to work. Injury or not, you still have responsibilities.

Okay, calling in would have been the right thing to do, as was said to CYA. But if we are getting the right details about his pain, then I could see where it would change from muscle pain to something worse as time goes on. He did say he had "left", perhaps after his shift? Called his sup when he did experience the intense pain and saw a doctor. What else could have been done?

I had sore muscles during peak that I didn't even know I had. I also had an incident where I nearly passed out. It was reported, because a co-worker found me about to pass out on the floor. Come to find out from the doctor there was nothing I could have done to prevent it - I was eating food, drinking water and other fluids, resting when off work and following all safe work methods- my heart rate had gone to low! I did go to doctor and came back with my paperwork and I called in. So I guess I am just bitter and needed to vent. What can I say.
:wink2:

Okay, now that the venting is done, I will be quiet. Heh.
kat

DS

Fenderbender
Sorry everyone is giving you a hard time,you obviously have not been through this before.Its no contest you lose.Always report any injury at work immediately.If you are going to take a day off call in.I hope your cervix heals and you're back to work soon.Welcome to the brown cafe:)

backinbrown

respect my authority
Okay, calling in would have been the right thing to do, as was said to CYA. But if we are getting the right details about his pain, then I could see where it would change from muscle pain to something worse as time goes on. He did say he had "left", perhaps after his shift? Called his sup when he did experience the intense pain and saw a doctor. What else could have been done?

I had sore muscles during peak that I didn't even know I had. I also had an incident where I nearly passed out. It was reported, because a co-worker found me about to pass out on the floor. Come to find out from the doctor there was nothing I could have done to prevent it - I was eating food, drinking water and other fluids, resting when off work and following all safe work methods- my heart rate had gone to low! I did go to doctor and came back with my paperwork and I called in. So I guess I am just bitter and needed to vent. What can I say.
:wink2:

Okay, now that the venting is done, I will be quiet. Heh.
kat

i dont doubt his injury but he didnt call out you have to do that or you are a no call no show

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sorry everyone is giving you a hard time,you obviously have not been through this before.Its no contest you lose.Always report any injury at work immediately.If you are going to take a day off call in.I hope your cervix heals and you're back to work soon.Welcome to the brown cafe:)

Cervix?
I thought it was a guy and I thought the pain was in the neck? :funny:

dillweed

Not calling in that second day was a mistake but the issue of not reporting the injury shouldn't be such a big deal. Many of us get a little pain here and there thinking it's just a muscle that will work itself out. It often takes time to realize how serious those little ouchies can be.

As far as the write-ups. As long as they are not leading to a warning letter don't worry about it. If your record is otherwise clean it shouldn't be a problem.

If the doctor puts you on any restrictions for going back to work, make sure you stick to them. Sometimes UPS sups try to get you to handle pkgs or work loads you're not supposed to. "Oh, come on - you can lift these few, can't youi?" "Nope, sorry they are beyond my restrictions". Hairy eyeballs don't hurt for long, not as long as your body will if you abuse it when injured. Do what doc says and keep up a good attitude while staying safe. Hope you heal up soon.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Not calling in that second day was a mistake but the issue of not reporting the injury shouldn't be such a big deal. Many of us get a little pain here and there thinking it's just a muscle that will work itself out. It often takes time to realize how serious those little ouchies can be.

As far as the write-ups. As long as they are not leading to a warning letter don't worry about it. If your record is otherwise clean it shouldn't be a problem.

If the doctor puts you on any restrictions for going back to work, make sure you stick to them. Sometimes UPS sups try to get you to handle pkgs or work loads you're not supposed to. "Oh, come on - you can lift these few, can't youi?" "Nope, sorry they are beyond my restrictions". Hairy eyeballs don't hurt for long, not as long as your body will if you abuse it when injured. Do what doc says and keep up a good attitude while staying safe. Hope you heal up soon.

I agree in a perfect world you wouldnt have to report every muscle spasm you have but ups requires it and if you dont they will bag you there might be some leway on time to report check with your local,