PVDs and the contract

UPSER1987

Idk how much of the public are going to support UPS drivers making $40+/hr, full pension, top of the line health insurance striking over seasonal employees.

This exactly and why all the strike talk is laughable. There would be zero support from Joe Public. And no one care about “scabs” as long as their packages get delivered. There is no distinguishing between carriers when the service, safety and appearance (trash) is all the same. The only thing distinguishing UPS from others is the high rates.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Idk how much of the public are going to support UPS drivers making $40+/hr, full pension, top of the line health insurance striking over seasonal employees.

This exactly and why all the strike talk is laughable. There would be zero support from Joe Public. And no one care about “scabs” as long as their packages get delivered. There is no distinguishing between carriers when the service, safety and appearance (trash) is all the same. The only thing distinguishing UPS from others is the high rates.
Yes the high rates and the stupid business decisions of management. Admit it, you wish you could’ve been a driver but you couldn’t qualify, so you entered management, drank the koolaid and became an :censored2:.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
True,

But individually, if you were a scab and were called one (with pictures) on facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. for all your relatives, friends etc. to see....

You would think twice about continuing your temporary scabbing. Or even if you just heard of, or saw another shamed.

This (public shaming) doesn't take public consensus to be effective.

Historically in Germany they would post names and pictures of scabs publicly on light posts in public squares. It was effective. How much more so online.
Contact their insurance companies.

UPSER1987

Yes the high rates and the stupid business decisions of management. Admit it, you wish you could’ve been a driver but you couldn’t qualify, so you entered management, drank the koolaid and became an :censored2:.
Pointing fingers is why UPS (and society) is where it is it. Such divisiveness will never solve problems.
UPS management has its issues no doubt. As does the union, as most members have no clue of what a union means or does. So if the union members are uneducated, do you really think Joe Public gives a rats ass about “scabs” lol. I just want my package.

And now you’re 23-12 cuz you just got burned lol!!

Last edited:

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Pointing fingers is why UPS (and society) is where it is it. Such divisiveness will never solve problems.
UPS management has its issues no doubt. As does the union, as most members have no clue of what a union means or does. So if the union members are uneducated, do you really think Joe Public gives a rats ass about “scabs” lol. I just want my package.

And now you’re 23-12 cuz you just got burned lol!!
Straight from the horse's mouth. From one who rails against the PVD as if we are pick pockets. "Such divisiveness....."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How do PVDs start before you guys? Also how does your local allow more FT seasonals than actual FT members?
In the Central, the Company can hire as many seasonal employees as they please.

There is no violation as long as all seniority employees are put to work and given their daily/weekly guarantees (8/40 hrs).

As far as seasonal drivers starting ealry ahead of the rest of the fleet, the only way that makes sense is if they are out early delivering loads that were rolled and presorted from the day before.

I haven't seen that in any of our buildings.

UPSER1987

Straight from the horse's mouth. From one who rails against the PVD as if we are pick pockets. "Such divisiveness....."
Please read my previous posts. I’ve never railed against the concept of PVDs. I really don’t care.
I argue against silly threads and silly assumptions that your manager is ignoring you about trivial stuff that anyone can easily resolve on their own.
See all the whining here on this forum? Imagine that x100 in person from the professionals who have years of driving experience but can’t figure it out on their own.
You made assumptions that are entirely untrue based on a landscape that you cannot see.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Please read my previous posts. I’ve never railed against the concept of PVDs. I really don’t care.
I argue against silly threads and silly assumptions that your manager is ignoring you about trivial stuff that anyone can easily resolve on their own.
See all the whining here on this forum? Imagine that x100 in person from the professionals who have years of driving experience but can’t figure it out on their own.
You made assumptions that are entirely untrue based on a landscape that you cannot see.
Ok, fair enough.

35years

Gravy route
No doubt UPS would not be able to move the boxes...Feeders alone stop the entire system, no extra qualified drivers anywhere.

As to O'Brien's willingness to strike...

We shall see. He was not elected as a don't rock the boat candidate. And he expressed his position that PVDs violate the contract when they began.

I went through the 97 strike. The current situation feels exactly like 97. People said the exact same thing then...The public won't support us (wrong); new Teamster leader won't dare to strike (wrong); record profits will mean UPS will not risk a strike (wrong).

If we strike will the public support a company's top management that makes millions each?

I think not.

The press will expose the record profits and salaries of top management. The public supported the workers last time because they know our drivers...who work long hard hours. The press will also pick up on how little our part timers make...far less on average then in 97.

UPS has far more to lose and will have little public support.

35years

Gravy route
In the Central, the Company can hire as many seasonal employees as they please.

There is no violation as long as all seniority employees are put to work and given their daily/weekly guarantees (8/40 hrs).

As far as seasonal drivers starting ealry ahead of the rest of the fleet, the only way that makes sense is if they are out early delivering loads that were rolled and presorted from the day before.

I haven't seen that in any of our buildings.
It is happening here in the Central. Not rolled loads, not vollume from the previous day.
It has to be addressed.

Would you say this work (prior to regular driver start) should be offered by seniority? I value your opinion

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is happening here in the Central. Not rolled loads, not vollume from the previous day.
It has to be addressed.
I don't even see how it is possible with today's service lanes?
The preload operations here don't typically wrap up until well after 9am.

How are these PVD's getting their packages early, maybe that's were the grievance lies?
Would you say this work (prior to regular driver start) should be offered by seniority? I value your opinion
I know of no language that provides for seniority based start times (drivers), aside from options provided a bid holder if the Company changes their start time by more than an hour.

There is however language providing for staggered start times.
These scenarios are typically validated by promoting for a smoother exit of the facilities for drivers and are not necessarily determined by seniority, rather vehicle position in the building.

I have seen staggered start times challenged as a form of harassment, but is very hard to prove and not applicable in this scenario.

Last edited:

nWo

You think part of the reason seasonal drivers are dropping off the PVD UHauls is because they can't be trusted to run an actual route? And UPS needs bid drivers to be running their bid routes?

You think part of the reason seasonal drivers are dropping off the PVD UHauls is because they can't be trusted to run an actual route? And UPS needs bid drivers to be running their bid routes?
I think it's because UPS doesn't want to spend the money too take them to driving school and also the amount of accidents that they have

35years

Gravy route
I don't even see how it is possible with today's service lanes?
The preload operations here don't typically wrap up until well after 9am.

How are these PVD's getting their packages early, maybe that's were the grievance lies?

I know of no language that provides for seniority based start times (drivers), aside from options provided a bid holder if the Company changes their start time by more than an hour.

There is however language providing for staggered start times.
These scenarios are typically validated by promoting for a smoother exit of the facilities for drivers and are not necessarily determined by seniority, rather vehicle position in the building.

I have seen staggered start times challenged as a form of harassment, but is very hard to prove and not applicable in this scenario.
Preload does not wrap up before the seasonals drive the first loaded uhauls out to PVD drop points. They take the loaded uhaul out, and another empty is parked immediately in it's place. The seasonal returns to the building around preload wrap after emptying the first uhaul at the PVD drop point, jumps in the now loaded 2nd Uhaul and drives it out to the PVD storage facility.

The shuttling seasonals are essentially doing driver "extra" work since they return to the building before preload wrap...Seniority drivers could easily do this, but management doesn't want to use up thier hours.

Preload does not wrap up before the seasonals drive the first loaded uhauls out to PVD drop points. They take the loaded uhaul out, and another empty is parked immediately in it's place. The seasonal returns to the building around preload wrap after emptying the first uhaul at the PVD drop point, jumps in the now loaded 2nd Uhaul and drives it out to the PVD storage facility.

The shuttling seasonals are essentially doing driver "extra" work since they return to the building before preload wrap...Seniority drivers could easily do this, but management doesn't want to use up thier hours.
Oh yeah I want that job