Question about chances of getting in at UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, many part-time preloaders are completely offended when management takes a person from off the street and promotes them to a Full-time Driver because thats what most of the Preloaders are trying for, and they haven't put in the sweat and hard work required to become a Full-time Driver.

Yeah, you gotta hate those guys that think they can walk in off the street and drive a truck (sorry, I mean package car) on the first day.

Preloading is almost absolutely necessary for becoming a Full-time Driver because it makes you very familiar with the package car, in particular, the cargo area to the point where you know where everything is without even looking or could do it in your sleep, literally, these guys start at 3am everyday, and drive Saturday Air and I am one of them.

Yeah, it is tough to remember which one is FL1 or RD1 or which one is the 8000 shelf--oh, wait, these are all labeled--never mind.

Preloading also makes you familiar with the business addresses and zip codes to the point of looking at a package 1 time, and knowing exactly where the stop is without looking it up in the map book.

I'll let you in on a little secret. UPS has a system called PAS which puts little labels on each package that tells the preloader where to load the pkg in the pkg car so, really, area knowledge is no longer required; in fact, mgt would much rather you load by PAL than by area knowledge.

Some of our current Full-Time Drivers have worked Preload for 8-10 years when they were in college, and let me tell you, they know where every stop is off memory not just on their route, but other drivers routes too, these guys are the real managers.

There are guys who walk in off the street who also know where every stop is and where every delivery point is.

Titles don't mean crap in our building. The full time drivers literally instruct our supervisors about the most efficient way to get things done. These guys do this stuff ALL DAY, EVERYDAY. They are the Masters of their profession, looked up to, and very well respected by everyone. Without them, we wouldn't have a business.

Wow--these guys must be really good. Are you sure none of them were hired off the street??

They do promote outside drivers off the street without any seniority, but for every 1 driver they promote, they have to promote 6-7 drivers from within, hence from the preloaders or clerks. Also, my experience is that if you are not white, you have a good chance at getting hired off the street to make their quota. In our building, these jobs are highly sought after and the nature of obtaining these jobs is very competitive, however it is possible for you to get one of these jobs. Good Luck.

I can tell you from experience that UPS will hire pasty white guys off the street.

All kidding aside, I will admit that I would have a greater appreciation of what our part-timers go through had I started on the inside but, beyond that, not having done so has not hindered me one bit.