Question for the old school guys - How'd ya start your day?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Hired off the street in 1979. Had to polish my Golden Timberland Boots brown. Climbed into a 1958 Ford P-400 with an on road I knew for 5 minutes. I drove around the building and down the road about a mile. Returned to the building. He went in the office, came back with a clipboard , pick up log, and a 5 gallon plastic bucket.
He turned the bucket upside down, sat down on it, looked at me and said," Let's roll. Let the training begin."
Rode with me for 3 days. Fourth day I was all alone. Never had a map or cards. Never made any.
The RD areas had select people on them who pretty much knew where everyone lived.
Sort the truck. Write the names down. Get directions from 'em. Get back to the center between 8 and 9.
Thirty years later , you get a check.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
That's something you don't see much today - clean and shiny Pullman Brown and someone that looks professional behind the wheel.
My package car definitely isn't as shiny. Going away from the washing service to a drive through car wash doesn't get as clean or shiny.

I still keep up uniform standards. I just grew in a beard/goatee when that was lifted. I always had a mustache.

quad decade guy

View attachment 380019
Me in 1991. No shorts yet. You can see my paper timecard in my pocket.
You didn't keep anything paper in your pocket around here....not even money. It would be totally soaked with sweat and destroyed. Just like when you put your paper record clipboard under your arm. Loved when the secretaries got handed that thing. Many gross outs....

Look at that ergonomic uh plush seat.....air ride.....lol. My supervisor: " You don't spend much time in it anyways...".

quad decade guy

My package car definitely isn't as shiny. Going away from the washing service to a drive through car wash doesn't get as clean or shiny.

I still keep up uniform standards. I just grew in a beard/goatee when that was lifted. I always had a mustache.
Our carwash used reconstituted water....already dirty.

They eliminated soap a few years ago....just dirty water now. Brushes come and go. The safety committee even bought some mama jama industrial ones.....they lasted a few days...looked like they were in a Samsonite commercial...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So dumped on a route cold, you never did before, you would look at the shelf, look at a map, drive there and start delivering. You would jot down a section of stops. Sorting was a big part of the job.
So before that, you would grab a time card, punch in. Then enter name, social, date, and center number. Then grab a cod turn in form, fill that out then staple to the time card. Grab a cod cash envelope, fill it out.

Then head to the cubby for the route you are doing. Get your pick up log, calls, and one time's.

I was a split driver, so before I headed to the truck, I needed to copy down all my area numbers from the bug map on the center office wall.

Most drivers kept their clipboards in their lockers. They would disappear otherwise, or the carbon paper would be missing. Clips were often borrowed as well.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You didn't keep anything paper in your pocket around here....not even money. It would be totally soaked with sweat and destroyed. Just like when you put your paper record clipboard under your arm. Loved when the secretaries got handed that thing. Many gross outs....

Look at that ergonomic uh plush seat.....air ride.....lol. My supervisor: " You don't spend much time in it anyways...".
🙄

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In 89 I drove a p-600 was 20 yr old car , had paper time card , had a map to learn the area. 24 inch step on the car , crappy heater no power steering , roll of tape for a cup holder. Yelled at everyday for being the worst driver they ever had. Brought into the office because I forgot my belt , threatened with a warning letter for not using the car wash , got my Reds (NDA) off by noon

UnionStrong

In 89 I drove a p-600 was 20 yr old car , had paper time card , had a map to learn the area. 24 inch step on the car , crappy heater no power steering , roll of tape for a cup holder. Yelled at everyday for being the worst driver they ever had. Brought into the office because I forgot my belt , threatened with a warning letter for not using the car wash , got my Reds (NDA) off by noon
I forgot about those tape roll cup holders..Lol

UnionStrong

Our carwash used reconstituted water....already dirty.

They eliminated soap a few years ago....just dirty water now. Brushes come and go. The safety committee even bought some mama jama industrial ones.....they lasted a few days...looked like they were in a Samsonite commercial...
Chuckle

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
These kids today They take out everything, radar. Sonar , electric toothbrushes. Jeezuz h Christ
5DD62952-F43B-4E6C-BC1D-1F41715E3CCB.gif

Last edited:

El Correcto

god is dead
My first delivery was Jan. 1990.

You were expected to provide your own maps. There might be copies in the center. Maybe not. All we had were "Mapsco's". Local area spiral type maps of streets. They were adequate but not always up to date with new developments and such. There was a "big copy" of the Mapsco on the wall(chalkboard size). BTW, these Mapsco's were pricy($30). You might get away with a gas station type map. Maybe. BTW, you doing all this copying off the clock(now)?

So, if you were a qualifying rookie, you did everything possible to be "prepared"........maps, pre-running the area(weekends)(after work) etc. Whatever it took. Yes, working off the clock(pre-start)etc. Asking other drivers....Note: this was grossly unfair(working off the clock) and should have never happened. The Union looked the other way and condoned it(still does).

Once qualified and getting a regular route was huge. You just basically learned your "area" bit by bit. Built "area knowledge" every day. Some guys always worked off the clock pre-departure(massaging their load quality) etc. Multi-decade veterans to rookies. Once I got a bid route, all that stopped for me. Mgt. hated me for it. As it caused departure delays and lot's of other problems. Back then, I just stretched and read novels(right in front of the offices) and it infuriated them. We didn't have smart phones. Yes, I did buy my own 2-wheeler dolly. Our pkg car dollies would disappear overnight and your day was sunk without one. Our center tried chaining them but chains were cut. If you didn't go looking for one off the clock pre-work.....your departure was delayed(mgt hated that). Plus- they were all gone.

I hated cover driving for obvious reasons(too much working off the clock).

In the end, area knowledge made you successful. It gave you a cushion of time and rhythm to the route. Mgt though, always nipping at that time cushion to tighten it up.....always more work.

Directly answering your question: Rookie-anything it took. Vet- nothing. As a vet, I just started work at start-time and come what may....your day was make or break at start-work. Car a mess....you were behind all day. Neat and tidy......you had a chance. Being able to walk through your car throughout the day was huge. I had my same route for basically 14 years.

Old, big wheel, no power-steering pkg cars? Yep.You got a work out and tendonitis. Mgt could care less. You had to plan backing, parking and everything else(delivery points etc.). Getting low profile tires and bigger side doors was huge. I had a Ford with an electric emergency brake. Saved my left elbow. Today's GPS was Star Wars tech for us. Early 2000's we still didn't have it as a company(no-way I was going to buy it myself). Besides I didn't need it(area knowledge). If they gave me an unfamiliar split.....I stumbled through it(however long it took).

This was how I did pkg car.^^^^^
People were telling me to get a mapsco when I started but the only mapsco for the area was like 5 years+ old and cost $500 on eBay lol. No where else had one.

Such dumb advice when you have a constantly updating map on your phone in this day and age.