questions about funeral leave

therhino4

I am confused about how the funeral leave works. My mother in law passed away on wednesday. The funeral is monday. I read the contract as saying I get 2 days off between the death and funeral and then 2 days after the funeral. I believe I should have thurs, fri, mon, tues, & wed. What do you think??

upsgrunt

I think it is only 4 days if the funeral is over 100 miles away from your residence. The fourth day would be a travel day and is paid if you meet the criteria.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had to go to tx from Ohio, for my brother I got 3 days. w, th,fr, funeral on sat, so no day for travel as that was sunday. It varies tho as everything does at UPS. If you have to travel and the funeral is monday, you should get 4,if you travel. So you will lose one day if its on monday, never more than 4. Make sure you get what you should, call your union hall, and put the obit in your center manager hands as early as possible.

You are talking PAID days. If you need reasonable time off to attend the services and more importantly help your spouse through this time you can let your mgmt team know you may be off for a short period.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have to mention an upcoming funeral to my boss tomorrow. I just hope the funeral isn't on Wednesday. I already have a personal planned and would hate to have it interfere with my day off.

satellitedriver

Cachux is right.
We only get three days here, but when I told my center manager my father had died, he said to take as much time as I needed.
My center manager's exact words were," Family comes first."
I hope your management has the same compassion.

paidslave

I thought that you get family leave through fmla fo help your spouse. Not sure if you get paid time off for a mother in law..

Thought it extended to spouse, siblings, brothers and sisters only. I don't believe Aunts and Uncles apply either!

Maybe someone could clarify?

I believe it is only 2 days max between death and up to 2 days following funeral and only if you attend the funeral or other breavement rite.

satellitedriver

I have to mention an upcoming funeral to my boss tomorrow. I just hope the funeral isn't on Wednesday. I already have a personal planned and would hate to have it interfere with my day off.
If you were trying to be "funny", you missed the mark.
Would you be so glib if it was your fathers, mothers or any other close family members funeral?
A very shallow and callous post.

paidslave

Would you be so glib if it was your fathers, mothers or any other close family members funeral?

I agree! ....My uncle just passed away literally in the last hour. And I don't even care if I get paid or not. I will make sure that I show my final respects to him and I am honored to be there in his death!

In our supplement Mother/Father-in-law is the same as Mother/Father.

hmmmm, I'm thinking someone isn't reading Cements post correctly. I took it that he would hate for the personal day already planned to interfere with the day off for the funeral.

I thought that you get family leave through fmla fo help your spouse. Not sure if you get paid time off for a mother in law..

Thought it extended to spouse, siblings, brothers and sisters only. I don't believe Aunts and Uncles apply either!

Maybe someone could clarify?

I believe it is only 2 days max between death and up to 2 days following funeral and only if you attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

If you are going to be gone for more than the "reasonable" amount of time ,then yes, you would probably have to apply for fmla. As far as the 2 day rule it is more of a guideline as there is no hard and fast rule for funeral/bereavement time periods. There are exceptions. I recently attended the funeral services for someone over a week after there passing. They had children who live out of country and services were delayed until all could arrive.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I was not being funny at all. And my father passed away 14 years ago and UPS gave me 3 days paid off for that. I didn't really mean it to sound the way it did. My apologies if offense was taken by anyone.

Brownnblue

Cachux is right.
We only get three days here, but when I told my center manager my father had died, he said to take as much time as I needed.
My center manager's exact words were," Family comes first."
I hope your management has the same compassion.

WOW!!! That's something I can only dream about.

upshawk

What if your Father in Law passes away on Monday of your vacation week and the Funeral is on Friday of the last day of your vacation? Just wondering.