Ranking of best UPS jobs

I worked preload for maybe a dozen years. I didn't mind it at all and worked more hours then the Hub rats. It was when they started with the PAL labels and thought we could we could do so much more work in the same amount of time that the job really went down hill fast. I don't know how anyone stays. The truth is they don't.

JustDeliverIt

I worked preload for maybe a dozen years. I didn't mind it at all and worked more hours then the Hub rats. It was when they started with the PAL labels and thought we could we could do so much more work in the same amount of time that the job really went down hill fast. I don't know how anyone stays. The truth is they don't.

I did preload for 10.5 years, loading package cars the entire time. Maybe I should have clarified that loading on preload was the worst. There are some decent jobs on preload as there are with any shift. But of all the jobs I've done, FT or PT, loading package cars is the worst.

No matter what happens anywhere in the building (late loads, belt failures, etc.) the loader not having the trucks wrapped on time is the problem. It's a part time position, you have on-cars, pt supe's and sometimes the drivers :censored2: on you all for low wages (was $9/hr when I started with the skilled work bonus).

Just my opinion. But if you wanted the most hours as a part timer, it was the way to go. Unload/slides got about 20 hrs/week, I was easily 25-30.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I did preload for 10.5 years, loading package cars the entire time. Maybe I should have clarified that loading on preload was the worst. There are some decent jobs on preload as there are with any shift. But of all the jobs I've done, FT or PT, loading package cars is the worst.

No matter what happens anywhere in the building (late loads, belt failures, etc.) the loader not having the trucks wrapped on time is the problem. It's a part time position, you have on-cars, pt supe's and sometimes the drivers :censored2: on you all for low wages (was $9/hr when I started with the skilled work bonus).

Just my opinion. But if you wanted the most hours as a part timer, it was the way to go. Unload/slides got about 20 hrs/week, I was easily 25-30.
The trick is to get seniority for the slide, then bump a preloader to wrap up.

JustDeliverIt

The trick is to get seniority for the slide, then bump a preloader to wrap up.

Yeah, our slides were stacked with higher seniority guys and girls. Usually had a position on each slide for a new hire. After a week they got moved to loading once they learned to read a spa label. Usually quit within a month, very few stay. We are the lucky ones.

:dontgosmiley:

Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
I've been:
- Loader
- Pick off
- Primary sort
- Secondary sort
- Small sort
- Floor sweep
- Saturday Air Driver
- PM Air Driver
- Combo
- Package Car
- Feeder

PM Air is hands down the easiest and most fun part time position with great hourly pay after topping out.

Feeders is the best full-time position. Management basically leaves you alone, start times for every conceivable time of day, variety of job types (shifter, CPU, shuttle runs, state-wide, mileage, sleeper, etc), and you can work 12s or 8 n skate depending on your job.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Why don’t you explain it then because you’re right I’ve never worked the ramp. Have you ever worked in feeders?
Have unloaded quite a few in my time double shifting for extra money. I worked them pretty fast. They had me bounce around to help some poor saps because they were slow. I used to like outworking the young pups. I still like to do it on occasion when I feel like it. Which isn't very much anymore. I am kinda like the Toby Keith song anymore.

MrFeeder

I've been:
- Loader
- Pick off
- Primary sort
- Secondary sort
- Small sort
- Floor sweep
- Saturday Air Driver
- PM Air Driver
- Combo
- Package Car
- Feeder

PM Air is hands down the easiest and most fun part time position with great hourly pay after topping out.

Feeders is the best full-time position. Management basically leaves you alone, start times for every conceivable time of day, variety of job types (shifter, CPU, shuttle runs, state-wide, mileage, sleeper, etc), and you can work 12s or 8 n skate depending on your job.
I had a shift job for few years and whenever yard control decides to act funny on some nights, I do 8 and out. When they say please and thank you, I may do 12 and help them out.