Real Maple Syrup or Aunt Jemima/Pancakes-Waffles-French Toast?

klein

Für Meno :)
So instead of milking the herd you are suckling the public teat?

What am I sucking out of the public teat ? Please explain. I have zero income, and still pay taxes !

OK, expert....how come I can never find Jello, sugar free vanilla pudding in my stores???

Jello isn't made in dairies, either are Kraft cheeze slices. Trust me, it's made out of cheeses that didn't turn out at other true dairies.
They sell it to Kraft, with a major discount. That's why Kraft Cheeze Whiz or slices are cheaper by the lb, then a real cheese.

If you can't get Vanilla pudding sugar free from "Jello", try Dr. Oetker brand. I know, I had that here.

If that all fails, Jello is basically Gelatin with flavors and sugar added.
You could make your own Vanilla Pudding, using Gelatin, Splenda, Vanilla & Milk.
Would need to be all boiled first however, and then chilled down.

I'm sure you could find recipes online.

I made my own sugar-free, but cream-rich yoghurt for example.
Since all sugar-free yoghurts are also fat-free, but, I don't like fat-free kinds.

worldwide

In NH it is unlawful to use the word 'maple' on any product if it doesn't contain real maple syrup as defined by the state of NH. McDonald's is finding this out the hard way with their new oatmeal since it has maple flavoring. Word is, they are trying to incorporate real maple syrup into the product.

Imagine that, using unrefined syrup in what is essentially a completely refined and processed breakfast. What will the masses do???

FTR, we are taking more offense to this up here than we do electing politicians....go figure, lol.

Will only use NH made maple syrup. The real stuff is not cheap but it's worth it. Tastes great on vanilla ice cream as well.

klein

Not just NH has that rule, but the entire USA : (from wiki) : Interessting read :)

Maple syrup is a syrup made from the sap of sugar maple , red maple or black maple trees. In cold climate areas, these trees store starch in their stems and roots before the winter; the starch is then converted to sugar and rises in the sap in the spring. Maple trees can be tapped and the exuded sap collected and concentrated by heating to evaporate the water. Quebec, Canada, produces most of the world's supply of maple syrup.

Canada makes more than 80 percent of the world's maple syrup, producing about 26,500,000 litres (7,000,000 US gal) in 2004.The vast majority of this comes from Quebec: the province is the world's largest producer, with about 75 percent of the world production totaling 24,660,000 litres (6,510,000 US gal) in 2005.Production in Quebec is controlled through a supply-management system, with producers receiving quota allotments from the Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec, which also maintains reserves of syrup. Canada exports more than 29,000 tonnes (64,000,000 lb) of maple syrup per year, valuing over C$145 million.

Vermont is the biggest US producer, with 3,500,000 litres (920,000 US gal) in 2009, followed by Maine with 1,500,000 litres (400,000 US gal) and New York with 1,370,000 litres (360,000 US gal). Wisconsin, Ohio, New Hampshire, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Connecticut all produced marketable quantities of maple syrup of less than 450,000 litres (120,000 US gal) each in 2009.

In the United States, "maple syrup" must be made almost entirely from maple sap; small amounts of substances such as salt may be added.

American labeling laws prohibit imitation syrups from having "maple" in their names.In Canada, syrup must have a density of 66° on the Brix Scale (a hydrometric scale used to measure sugar solutions) to be marketed as maple syrup. Québécois sometimes refer to imitation maple syrup as sirop de poteau ("pole syrup"), a joke referring to the syrup as having been made by tapping telephone poles.

Not just NH has that rule, but the entire USA : (from wiki) : Interessting read :)

Maple syrup is a syrup made from the sap of sugar maple , red maple or black maple trees. In cold climate areas, these trees store starch in their stems and roots before the winter; the starch is then converted to sugar and rises in the sap in the spring. Maple trees can be tapped and the exuded sap collected and concentrated by heating to evaporate the water. Quebec, Canada, produces most of the world's supply of maple syrup.

Canada makes more than 80 percent of the world's maple syrup, producing about 26,500,000 litres (7,000,000 US gal) in 2004.The vast majority of this comes from Quebec: the province is the world's largest producer, with about 75 percent of the world production totaling 24,660,000 litres (6,510,000 US gal) in 2005.Production in Quebec is controlled through a supply-management system, with producers receiving quota allotments from the Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec, which also maintains reserves of syrup. Canada exports more than 29,000 tonnes (64,000,000 lb) of maple syrup per year, valuing over C$145 million.

Vermont is the biggest US producer, with 3,500,000 litres (920,000 US gal) in 2009, followed by Maine with 1,500,000 litres (400,000 US gal) and New York with 1,370,000 litres (360,000 US gal). Wisconsin, Ohio, New Hampshire, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Connecticut all produced marketable quantities of maple syrup of less than 450,000 litres (120,000 US gal) each in 2009.

In the United States, "maple syrup" must be made almost entirely from maple sap; small amounts of substances such as salt may be added.

American labeling laws prohibit imitation syrups from having "maple" in their names.In Canada, syrup must have a density of 66° on the Brix Scale (a hydrometric scale used to measure sugar solutions) to be marketed as maple syrup. Québécois sometimes refer to imitation maple syrup as sirop de poteau ("pole syrup"), a joke referring to the syrup as having been made by tapping telephone poles.

Inetresting read also.

https://web.archive.org/web/2010032...005/08/grandinites-40-most-annoying-canadians

menotyou

bella amicizia
Cracker Barrel, anyone? I think the best food is at the local diner. Longway's, yummy in my tummy.
I make my own syrup. I assume its organic. The trees don't chat much.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I like Cracker Barrel, but we don't have one close to us. Love their cheesy potatoes and I make them at home a lot.

Sorry, I can't let you get away with that. What's in it?

It`s the illegitimate redheaded stepchild of Spam.

imagesg dg d.jpg
imagesg dg d.jpg

klein

Remember toaster-leavers from the 80's ? (Al Bundy - married with children).

Well, maybe they renamed them scrapples by now ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Originally of Pennsylvania Dutch origin, scrapple was made from the bits and pieces of the pig not suited for anything else! This streamlined recipe takes only minutes to prepare ... perfect for making the night before. Serve topped with choice of warmed syrup."

Scrapple

27725.jpg
Rated:
4.0.gif
Submitted By: KCFOXY
Photo By: Belle Ann

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 13 Hours 45 Minutes
Servings: 8

"Originally of Pennsylvania Dutch origin, scrapple was made from the bits and pieces of the pig not suited for anything else! This streamlined recipe takes only minutes to prepare ... perfect for making the night before. Serve topped with choice of warmed syrup."
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground pork sausage
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed
milk
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black
pepper

Directions:
1.Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and rinse in colander under cold water, breaking sausage into pea sized pieces.2.Return to skillet along with the condensed milk, and heat over medium until just bubbling. Immediately stir in the cornmeal and pepper and reduce heat to simmer. Continue cooking, 5 minutes total; mush will be stiff.3.Pack into 8x4 loaf pan, cover and chill overnight. To serve, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and saute until golden in nonstick skillet.

moreluck

golden ticket member
menotyou...here's the Cracker Barrel Recipe...

2 lbs. frozen hash browns (thawed)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups Colby cheese (grated)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam. Combine soup, butter
salt, pepper onions & cheese. Gently mix in potatoes and pour into
prepared baking dish or pan.

Bake uncovered for 1 hr. 'til golden browned and bubbly.