Rear view monitor too bright?

I would pick up a piece of lexan from a hardware store, some carry pre-tinted. Tint it if needed and use an appropriate method to secure over the screen.

over9five

Staff member
I think I would write it up in the DVIR as a safety issue.
If it's so bright that it kills your night vision, it needs to be fixed. They won't want to send them all back to the factory to be modified so they can dim sufficiently, but it's what should be done.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think I would write it up in the DVIR as a safety issue.
If it's so bright that it kills your night vision, it needs to be fixed. They won't want to send them all back to the factory to be modified so they can dim sufficiently, but it's what should be done.

This is the optimal course of action.
​Establish a problem before taking corrective action on your own.

HomeDelivery

Maybe some window tint. Hell , the glare from the street,house, and head lights are bad enough. I'm able to dim mine enough though.

this... you can sometimes score some scraps for free and cut-to-fit... i use free packing tape as well to tape it over if it's still too bright & can double-up on it for even a more darker screen

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How about the dash boards on the newer trucks? The are angled so the dash lights reflect against the windshield! So stupid! All it needed is to be more parallel with a lip on the top to block the light.

Mine has the same problem. I solved it by taping a piece of cardboard to the top of the dash to make a "lip" that blocks the light from reflecting on the windshield.

Notretiredyet

What would you say to your center manager/on car if you are involved in a hit from behind or a backing accident and your monitor is covered by your hat?

I don't back up in the residential areas I'm working in at nite, if I had to I'd remove the hat. If you spent as much time as many of us do delivering at nite you would know the light from the monitor restricts your vision. And how does the rear camera come into play on a struck from behind?

Last edited: