Regal Cinema's new "security policy"

bbsam

Staff member
So if your daughter is trapped beneath a wrecked car that is starting to burn, and I come along and do my best to lift the car up enough for her to crawl out but wind up losing my grip...is it my fault if she gets crushed? Or do you blame the drunk driver who caused the accident in the first place?
If the government is held accountable, why shouldn't you be?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the government is held accountable, why shouldn't you be?
Google "Good Samaritan laws".

A person who is taking reasonable action during a crisis in order to save a life should not be held responsible for making an honest mistake, especially when it was the criminal actions of another that caused the situation in the first place.

Sportello

Who said anything about shooting into the darkness? I wouldn't shoot unless I had a target. You just can't go shooting unless you know who are you shooting at.
Every movie theater I've been in shows the movies in the dark. Granted, I haven't been in years, but I think that's how it still is.

Sportello

A person who is taking reasonable action during a crisis in order to save a life should not be held responsible for making an honest mistake, especially when it was the criminal actions of another that caused the situation in the first place.
That applies in medical emergencies, not in returning fire in a shootout.

bbsam

Staff member

That's just it. I don't trust a lot of would be "Good Samaritans" with that judgement.

"I thought I had a clear shot."
That's not good enough.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you are there and allow more people to be victims through your inaction is that better than taking an active role in trying to end the violence?

Sportello

If you are there and allow more people to be victims through your inaction is that better than taking an active role in trying to end the violence?
That's not what anyone is saying.

I think people are saying don't return fire in a darkened theater. Bum rush the guy, but unless you are following all gun safety rules, don't unload the clip.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
it wont be long before every public place has a metal detector or screening like TSA.

in my small town there are signs up saying to remove hat, sunglasses, and backpacks before entering a public building ( pop. 4632 )

In Israel it's common everyday way of life to be searched and scanned everywhere they go,

2015 will be the "good ol days" . our freedoms will be completely gone soon .maybe already gone and we don't realize it yet.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That's the problem. A lot of these folks have half a brain, and lack the skills and reasoning ability to handle a true emergency. I have a CCW, but only use it when I go hiking/fishing or in very sketchy areas. I would only shoot someone/something as an absolute last resort.

My point is that a lot of gun people I know, who are really into it, want the chance to use it someday. When you carry everywhere and don't have law enforcement type training, you're asking for a problem. Just ask George Zimmerman, and please review his post-Martin record as evidence.
my son lives in a major city and he told me today he wants a gun. he has 3 small children. I advised against it. too many things can go wrong. someone can break into his home and steal it or use it against the family. someone can take it away from him . even highly trained people like cops and the military make mistakes with guns.

but I couldn't really tell him an alternative except using a baseball bat or something else if someone broke into his house.

bbsam

Staff member
That link did little to clarify anything. Other that say it depends. Also it referred to an unsure situation and not a known one.
Really? If you have a family, career, bank account, and don't want.to be wrapped up in legal battles for several years, it seemed pretty clear: make a mistake and you very well may pay dearly. There is no Good Samaritan blanket cover.

oldngray

nowhere special
Really? If you have a family, career, bank account, and don't want.to be wrapped up in legal battles for several years, it seemed pretty clear: make a mistake and you very well may pay dearly. There is no Good Samaritan blanket cover.

As that link said - it depends.

Sportello

That link did little to clarify anything. Other that say it depends. Also it referred to an unsure situation and not a known one.
Do you know what/who is behind who you perceive to be the 'bad guy with a gun' in a darkened movie theater?

Gun safety 101.

This talk about stopping an active movie theater shooting is really pretty stupid, IMO.

Sportello

my son lives in a major city and he told me today he wants a gun. he has 3 small children. I advised against it. too many things can go wrong. someone can break into his home and steal it or use it against the family. someone can take it away from him . even highly trained people like cops and the military make mistakes with guns.

but I couldn't really tell him an alternative except using a baseball bat or something else if someone broke into his house.
Guns in a home with children is a terrible idea. Good advice.

bbsam

Staff member
As that link said - it depends.
But that's not what sober implied nor does the article come close to suggesting there is anything clearly backing the non-LEO citizen using deadly force and killing the wrong person...possibly even the right person.