Repositioning Cruise

over9five

Staff member
Anyone ever done one of these? It's when a cruise line is changing the home port of one of their ships. The draw of these is generally it will include an awesome itinerary.

There are two upcoming repositioning cruises from Carnival, and they both include that awesome itinerary.

One is the Carnival Splendor being moved from San Juan to Miami (8 days).
The second is the Carnival Pride being moved from Tampa to Baltimore (14 days).

Yes, it has given me a bad case of cruise fever....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Anyone ever done one of these? It's when a cruise line is changing the home port of one of their ships. The draw of these is generally it will include an awesome itinerary.

There are two upcoming repositioning cruises from Carnival, and they both include that awesome itinerary.

The Pride has been in Baltimore for years now.

pretender

I have never taken one, but we plan to in the future. They are a bit more expensive, because there are usually extra days--and you can't do roundtrip flights. Do you usually do Carnival cruises?

pretender

The Pride has been in Baltimore for years now.

I am not sure about the Pride, because we have never been on Carnival; but it is common for cruise lines to reposition their ships depending on the season. Is it possible that the Pride has been in Baltimore for years, but only for six months at a time?

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Never taken a cruise, but check the price of plane tickets to San Jaun. Wife's brother just passed on a cruise out of there. 2 round trip tix from Logan, $2,500.

over9five

Staff member
Is it possible that the Pride has been in Baltimore for years, but only for six months at a time?

Ah, checking carnival.com, this appears to be correct. Right now, the Pride is in Baltimore, but it will soon be in Tampa then next March back to Baltimore.

over9five

Staff member
I have never taken one, but we plan to in the future. They are a bit more expensive, because there are usually extra days--and you can't do roundtrip flights. Do you usually do Carnival cruises?
Yes, we have done seven Carnival cruises, and one Disney cruise.

over9five

Staff member
Never taken a cruise, but check the price of plane tickets to San Jaun. Wife's brother just passed on a cruise out of there. 2 round trip tix from Logan, $2,500.
Yikes, wouldn't do that! I've flown in and out of SJU before non-stop from Logan and it wasn't near that. They must have gone on a peak day or something. The day I want to fly there this time, there is no non-stop out of Boston (maybe too early to look?), but there's a one stop in Miami that is pretty reasonable.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ok I just looked it up and you're right, The Pride will be going to Tampa then repositioning back to Baltimore in March 2015. We've been on the Pride twice and it's a nice ship so I'm thinking hard about flying down to Tampa for that one, already pricing out balcony rooms..

over9five

Staff member
Ok I just looked it up and you're right, The Pride will be going to Tampa then repositioning back to Baltimore in March 2015. We've been on the Pride twice and it's a nice ship so I'm thinking hard about flying down to Tampa for that one, already pricing out balcony rooms..

14 days, baby! I've never gone longer than 8.

over9five

Staff member
P.S., the TA I used is offering Cat 8C balconies for $1564.
Be interested to know what Carnival (or whoever you use) is asking.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
P.S., the TA I used is offering Cat 8C balconies for $1564.
Be interested to know what Carnival (or whoever you use) is asking.
I go right off Carnival's website, I can get a forward balcony on the Panorama deck (that's right were we like to be) for about $1600.

over9five

Staff member
I go right off Carnival's website, I can get a forward balcony on the Panorama deck (that's right were we like to be) for about $1600.
We always used a Carnival PVP until now.
I started looking at these two cruises maybe 3 weeks ago. I had been pricing the Splendor cruise, and the price for a balcony has gone up $270 PP in that 3 weeks. I found a TA that was selling the cabins at the original Carnival price, so I held a room with a small refundable deposit.

We will be on one of these cruises, just not sure which yet.

Whaddaya say, Jonesy? Ready to hang out 24/7 for a couple of weeks?!?!?!