Republican Debate last night 03/07/11..what a crock!

brett636

The idea of social security was originally for widows and children of soldiers of WWII. This money was set aside and untouched for decades. IT was expanded to include all seniors later and by the time Ronald Reagan took office, the social security fund was in the black and over funded for years to come.

What is it about you and the truth? You consistently lie on just about everything you post and I must say it gets a little tiring at times trying to correct everything you state. Maybe thats your goal is to post so many factually incorrect statements that nobody cares to try to correct you anymore.

Anyways, you state Social Security was started for the widows and children of WWII. I find that interesting because the Social Security act was passed in 1935 and we didn't enter WWII until 1941. Not only that but on the Social Security website it makes no mention of the program being intended for widows or children, but that it was intended to provide the retirement benefits for the primary worker of a household and was amended in 1939 to include spouse and survivor benefits.

I think its not that you don't know these things, its just that you are willing to altar the truth to fit your narrative. Being the good little Marxist that you are I must say I am not all that surprised.

preload1

I am about halfway through "Decision Points", the George W. Bush memoirs, and he discusses his efforts to fix Social Security, which were misinterpreted as an attempt to privatize SS. The plan that he favored was crafted by Robert Pozen (D) and used progressive indexing, which set benefits to grow fastest for the poorest and slowest for the wealthiest, with a sliding scale for everyone in between. By changing the benefit growth formula, the plan would wipe out the vast majority of the SS shortfall. In additon, everyone would have the opportunity to earn higher returns through personal retirement accounts.

BTW, this has been a good read thus far. There is a lot more to GWB than the image created by the media.

Decision Points is a great read. It shows first hand what can be accomplished in America when you have a leader, not a reader, in the Whte House. God Bless America....always.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Decision Points is a great read. It shows first hand what can be accomplished in America when you have a leader, not a reader, in the Whte House. God Bless America....always.

It is a great read but I am still not a GWB fan. I will admit that it has given me a greater perspective as to why he made some of the decisions that he did and the pressures of the job, the pressures of being the son of a former president and the pressures the children had to deal with.

There is a lot more to the man that an SNL satire.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What is it about you and the truth? You consistently lie on just about everything you post and I must say it gets a little tiring at times trying to correct everything you state. Maybe thats your goal is to post so many factually incorrect statements that nobody cares to try to correct you anymore.

Anyways, you state Social Security was started for the widows and children of WWII. I find that interesting because the Social Security act was passed in 1935 and we didn't enter WWII until 1941. Not only that but on the Social Security website it makes no mention of the program being intended for widows or children, but that it was intended to provide the retirement benefits for the primary worker of a household and was amended in 1939 to include spouse and survivor benefits.

I think its not that you don't know these things, its just that you are willing to altar the truth to fit your narrative. Being the good little Marxist that you are I must say I am not all that surprised.

Brett,

By the time President Roosevelt came into office, we had just ended WWI. There were many persons unemployed and the depression happened. Looking forward, Rossevelt saw that unemployment was reaching 50% after WWI and long term care for seniors and widows was in order.

""The Social Security Act was drafted during Roosevelt's first term by the President's Committee on Economic Security, under Frances Perkins, and passed by Congress as part of the New Deal. The act was an attempt to limit what were seen as dangers in the modern American life, including old age, poverty, unemployment, and the burdens of widows and fatherless children. By signing this act on August 14, 1935, President Roosevelt became the first president to advocate federal assistance for the elderly.[SUP][[/SUP]"

Roosevelt believed that asking our men to fight in wars and leaving wives and children behind would cause a "burden" to society at large if those men did not come home. Knowing that WWI took a toll on the USA and helped to put us into a depression, and the likelyhood of foreign wars once again rising, Roosevelt took action to protect this segment of our society.

The program was expanded many times from its original intention. Both wars ( WWi and WWII) cost this country thousands of lives, and those lives had wives and children left without the means to support themselves.

"Social" security, was the idea to help protect widows and children as I said. In 1935, it covered women and children. No matter, it was not originally intented to protect all americans after they retired from working, and it was a safety net for the elderly. The program was created in 1933 and worked on for 2 years before it was ratified. It was modified from Roosevelts original plan and ratified in 1935 with additions in coverage.

It has been modified many times over the decades.

What you read today is the current interpretation of social security. Try reading what Roosevelt actually said.

Here is a link to review what "his" thoughts were towards "social" security.
http://www.ssa.gov/history/fdrstmts.html#message1

In 1933, President Roosevelt was bombarded by letters from widows all across the country asking for help as they had no means of support. There husbands either died in WWI, or came back and died, or were in the military and dying on the battlefield. Seeing this was a "Nationwide" problem, Roosevelt set out to help these americans (wives and children).

Brett, if you read enough of what Roosevelt actually said and did from 1933 to 1935 and then to 1941, you will see his focus was on widows and children. Roosevelt believed in social justice and saw to it that americans were protected.

Dont call me a liar cause you read something that fit your argument. Try the facts. http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v70n3/v70n3p89.html

Peace.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
SS has been broke since LBJ.
It was only designed to help those in retirement, not to be the only support as many today demand it to be.

And it is a Ponzi scam.
My dollars put in today helps pay for today's freeloaders, when my time comes to collect who will still be working and paying into the system to pay me ?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It was only designed to help those in retirement, not to be the only support as many today demand it to be.

And it is a Ponzi scam.
My dollars put in today helps pay for today's freeloaders, when my time comes to collect who will still be working and paying into the system to pay me ?

Oh geez, are you serious? The SS fund was solid and overfunded when Reagan took office. Reagan and ART LAFFER, took close to a trillion dollars out of the fund to offset the hugh deficit that Reagan was about to leave the nation, and GH BUSH took another trilion to plug his hole. After that, JOBS left the country during Reagan and Bush and Bush and that put another huge hole in the Social security fund.

But you say it was not funded during LBJ? Who told you that? ORLY TAINZ?

peace.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

And it is a Ponzi scam.
if it's a ponzi "scam" (which I am not agreeing with or denying), and you and other TP's are so strongly against it's purpose, why would you or anyone else be looking to collect money from it?

No different than Bachmanns family raping gov't subsidies for the family farm then whining about gov't subsidies.

brett636

Brett,

By the time President Roosevelt came into office, we had just ended WWI. There were many persons unemployed and the depression happened. Looking forward, Rossevelt saw that unemployment was reaching 50% after WWI and long term care for seniors and widows was in order.

""The Social Security Act was drafted during Roosevelt's first term by the President's Committee on Economic Security, under Frances Perkins, and passed by Congress as part of the New Deal. The act was an attempt to limit what were seen as dangers in the modern American life, including old age, poverty, unemployment, and the burdens of widows and fatherless children. By signing this act on August 14, 1935, President Roosevelt became the first president to advocate federal assistance for the elderly.[SUP][[/SUP]"

Roosevelt believed that asking our men to fight in wars and leaving wives and children behind would cause a "burden" to society at large if those men did not come home. Knowing that WWI took a toll on the USA and helped to put us into a depression, and the likelyhood of foreign wars once again rising, Roosevelt took action to protect this segment of our society.

The program was expanded many times from its original intention. Both wars ( WWi and WWII) cost this country thousands of lives, and those lives had wives and children left without the means to support themselves.

"Social" security, was the idea to help protect widows and children as I said. In 1935, it covered women and children. No matter, it was not originally intented to protect all americans after they retired from working, and it was a safety net for the elderly. The program was created in 1933 and worked on for 2 years before it was ratified. It was modified from Roosevelts original plan and ratified in 1935 with additions in coverage.

It has been modified many times over the decades.

What you read today is the current interpretation of social security. Try reading what Roosevelt actually said.

Here is a link to review what "his" thoughts were towards "social" security.
http://www.ssa.gov/history/fdrstmts.html#message1

In 1933, President Roosevelt was bombarded by letters from widows all across the country asking for help as they had no means of support. There husbands either died in WWI, or came back and died, or were in the military and dying on the battlefield. Seeing this was a "Nationwide" problem, Roosevelt set out to help these americans (wives and children).

Brett, if you read enough of what Roosevelt actually said and did from 1933 to 1935 and then to 1941, you will see his focus was on widows and children. Roosevelt believed in social justice and saw to it that americans were protected.

Dont call me a liar cause you read something that fit your argument. Try the facts. http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v70n3/v70n3p89.html

Peace.

Thank you for making my point. Either you have a poor understanding of history, or you are purposefully misrepresenting it in order to fit a reality that only you exist in.

First you claimed Social Security was for WWII widows, now you claim its for WWI widows. I would ask which is it, but neither fit the timeline of history that most normal people accept. WWI ended in 1919, and FDR was not sworn into office until January of 1933. By the time Social Security was passed and began collecting taxes all the kids born during WW1 were legal adults. Lets not forget the Social Security history I quoted came straight from the Social Security website so you are basically saying you know the history of Social Security better than the Social Security Administration does.

After WWI the economy boomed. Ever hear of the roaring 20s? The economy didn't tank until the stock market collapse and unemployment never reached 50%. The highest recorded unemployment during the great depression of the 1930s was 25%.

I could go on and on about the obvious lies you have posted, and will probably continue to post, but I have made my point. Either you are doing this intentionally, or you simply have never studied history and you are making it up as you go. So which is it? Are you a pathological liar or just another liberal :censored2:? I look forward to your reply.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thank you for making my point. Either you have a poor understanding of history, or you are purposefully misrepresenting it in order to fit a reality that only you exist in.

First you claimed Social Security was for WWII widows, now you claim its for WWI widows. I would ask which is it, but neither fit the timeline of history that most normal people accept. WWI ended in 1919, and FDR was not sworn into office until January of 1933. By the time Social Security was passed and began collecting taxes all the kids born during WW1 were legal adults. Lets not forget the Social Security history I quoted came straight from the Social Security website so you are basically saying you know the history of Social Security better than the Social Security Administration does.

After WWI the economy boomed. Ever hear of the roaring 20s? The economy didn't tank until the stock market collapse and unemployment never reached 50%. The highest recorded unemployment during the great depression of the 1930s was 25%.

I could go on and on about the obvious lies you have posted, and will probably continue to post, but I have made my point. Either you are doing this intentionally, or you simply have never studied history and you are making it up as you go. So which is it? Are you a pathological liar or just another liberal :censored2:? I look forward to your reply.
TOS clearly meant, GREATER than 50% POVERTY RATE within the elderly after the depression, which was and is very relevant. That's unintentional, hardly a lie...seeing the previous sentence mentioned unemployment.

bbsam

Staff member

And it is a Ponzi scam.
I think Sleeve makes a good point. If it is a ponzi scheme (which I concede the idea has some merit) then shouldn't the republican field of candidates be proposing it's immediate abolition? Because from my perspective at age 43, why should I still be on the giving end of a ponzi scheme only to get screwed in 22 years?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You should be angry .
But why seek help only from the GOP ?
Every Congress since the 60's has raided the fund , mostly just to add it's monies into the general funds so their budget look balanced.
There is no money left.
The only way to stop it would be so drastic that no elected official would undertake it and expect to be reelected ever again .
Here's an example of what happen in Mass. a few years back, when the state changed the rules on who could get welfare.
Being out-of-work and having a kid or kids was no longer legal to receive benefits, but having a mentally disable kid was .
Suddenly every kid was labeled with a mental disorder . Who certified this, why the mothers did. And they also claimed that they too were mentally disabled.
No matter how the rules are changed, the free loaders will always find some way back on to the welfare rolls.
Before the 70's when the state took over the welfare programs, it was up to the local city and towns.
Anyone wanting money had to go to the city/townhall and request it.
Which came direct from the property taxes paid by your neighbors.
Lets return to that system .
It would be a better way to create jobs; more city/town hall employees to verify ever applicant , check out their proper papers, make sure the addresses that they provide do exist and that they actually live there. Follow them around to make sure they are really unemployed, disabled, or mentally unfit.

bbsam

Staff member
So Social Security recipients are" free loaders"? Maybe Perry can work that into his next campaign speech.

bbsam

Staff member
I didn't have to twist it. We were speaking of Social Security and Babs went off the deep end. "No matter how the rules change, the free loaders will always find some way back on the welfare rolls." So I ask you, WTF!!! How does the logic flow? Why when the subject is Social Security is Babs talking about "free loaders"? He's the one who seems to equate it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I can name one such free loader who never paid a penny into the system , yet receives $700 a month and is not a citizen.
Why none other than bhos' auntie zietuni .
Her high price immigration lawyer told a judge that this poor frail woman who entered the courthouse on crutches, was in fear of her life back in Kenya. While wearing $200 sunglasses and a custom designed dress, yet as by a miracle as she left the courthouse she could walk upright with out any assistance .
That's $700 a month that is taken from you of which you will never get a penny of.
Now times that by a few million of other non-citizens who also collect your money and you can see the ponzi scam in action.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You want to fix this run-away system;
Step one... require proof of citizenship.
Step two...stop Congress from stealing any more of these funds.
Step three...Inform all those that currently collect, but are not citizens that they will be required to pay back all funds given to date.

Outcome.....fewer non-citizens will be staying here, most will head back to their home country willingly.