Respect "On Topic"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about UPS actually keeping people on. It shouldn't be that hard to hire someone new or tell them the truth whether they will work after the holidays or not.
Well that is pretty hard. I mean how do they know who they are gonna keep or let go or how many may quit?

Cementups

Box Monkey
This is less of a question as it is an observation. I have been with UPS only a short while as a pre loader (hired right before peak as a temp). Before being hired I heard horrible things about working at UPS. How difficult it is to work, how everyone :censored2:s on you... etc. I worked at the end of the belt with three trucks. I often got behind and my supervisor would come help me out. As time went on I got a little better. Maybe a misload per day on average, which I know is not good. After peak my trucks were no longer there and I had to call in for work. Then I was told that some guys were leaving so there was a year round opportunity, but I had to take 4 cars at the end of a belt. I came in everyday and literally gave it my all, and got my ass kicked every day. Boxes going past me, misloads, one driver complaint. I really really wanted this job for the health insurance for my family. I make it a point to be cordial and friendly to all my supervisors and co workers. I apologize to my drivers for my misloads, I honestly do not want to add to their day. Now I'm being moved again to another spot to split the belt and 2 cars. The problem is I'm short, and cannot reach across the belt so inevitably boxes get by me. That spot is only temporary so I do not know if I will have a job again in a couple weeks. I've put my wife and family through an emotional roller coaster with this. In the end I know that I gave it my best and despite my best efforts I guess its not good enough. I truly respect you guys that are able to do this job and make it look easy and have been doing it for years. I've worked a lot of physically demanding jobs, but this one takes the cake. Driver who read this, I hope that you know or remember (if you were one a preloader) how demanding this job is. I hope that somehow I get better at the job and they keep me. At this point that looks doubtful. I've been looking at threads on tips on how to perform better, increase speed, etc. You guys have earned my respect.

I like your attitude OP. Unlike a lot of the people who come here, you seem like you actually want to be here and aren't afraid to put in the effort. Let that be known. Try your best. And keep your head up. This job comes with good and bad days.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Everybody sucks at their job when they first start. If you truly wish to make a career out of UPS you have got to develop a thicker skin. You are a piece of equipment in UPS eyes to be exploited and used. That is just the mentality that exist at MOST location. Show up ,do the best you can ,give an honest hard effort, and the job will get easier with time. Take the complaints of others with a grain of salt. Because whatever else they may tell you at one point and time they were new too and sucked and needed help too
People still suck after 30 years and a plaque to prove it. Play the game, work 5 enjoy your weekend, pretty soon, you are at the end. I was on preload for 8 yrs. I never let anyone go that wanted and tried their best.