Returning Package Driver after Total Hip Replacement

The Brown Shadow

I thought it might be interesting for those Drivers out there with bad hips.

I had osteoarthritis (bone spurs) in my right hip. This led to total destruction of my cartilage, 8 mm displacement of hip ball, and deformation of femoral hip ball. After 7 years of moderate hip pain (2 weeks of severe pain in the last year) I had my hip replaced.

My surgeon used the posterior approach. I was able to return to work after a 7 week recovery period and am doing ok. I still have pain in the area of my hip, but it is from the surgery and is not the same as the internal hip pain I had pre-surgery. I work carefully, but am able to perform all my normal work functions on my mostly residential route.

I didn't try to claim workman's comp on this injury. I am not sure how much genetics had a hand in this, but I am sure my 17+ years as a driver did contribute to this condition. I took the time off from Nov 24th-Jan 5th. I used 20 sick days I had accrued, 2 weeks of vacation, and the 5 paid holidays to cover my time off. Comp would have only paid 67% of my 40 hour work weeks and how I did it paid better than that. I am OK with using my sick days and vacation weeks this way. I didn't have to fight for months, or go to court, to get this procedure authorized. I have some coworkers who were gone for like 6-9 months off with severe, surgery requiring injuries, that started with a battle to determine that UPS work caused said injuries. In the end UPS did pay for my operation through Union benefits and the days off paid from the job.

If anyone has questions please ask. Especially those who may be suffering from a similar condition.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I guess we got hip and knee replacements covered. Glad to hear you are doing good. Just one silly question, does your hip set off metal detectors like my knees?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The above is why it is so essential to have supplemental health insurance. The OP used up all of his personal time when if he had SHI he could have gone on comp and the SHI would have made up the difference.

The Brown Shadow

Yes, my hip sets off the metal detectors and I get a complimentary pat down.

About how much is SHI per month? I still would have had to fight UPS with a lawyer's help to get workers comp.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Is it a titanium hip? My mother got 2 new knees. If you did go thru comp. You also could have used PIP (personal injury protection) on you own car insurance. To cover the rest of the expences not covered by comp. Use your insurance. We sure pay enough into it

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Exactly I would have taken off a lot longer than that, that's for sure. If I ever need any replacement surgery, guess what? Im taking a longasczz Aflac vacation n getting paid my whole salary while recovering turning into a fatt boy lol.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Exactly I would have taken off a lot longer than that, that's for sure. If I ever need any replacement surgery, guess what? Im taking a longasczz Aflac vacation n getting paid my whole salary while recovering turning into a fatt boy lol.
Actually going back to work was the best thing for me. The first few weeks were agony because I was so out of shape but I keep getting better. I've noticed that my knees get funky when I don't move them.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Interesting post. I have the exact same problem with my right hip. Been on the fence about surgery. Searching the internet answered a lot of questions. I think I will have it done soon. My old age insurance and supplement only has a $147 deductible and $20 for Doctor. Already met deductible so it will be a cheap operation. Insurance will also pay for my crutches or walker during recovery. I remember when I was nearing retirement, that was one of the things retirement was going to be able to give me, unlimited sick days. It was encouraging to see that you recovered so quickly. My doctor said I would be able to go fishing, camping, working in garden no problem this summer, and also said I would be able to return to skiing next winter.

undies

What's this talk about supplemental disability? Is this something you get on the side? I've been off of a few times and somehow managed to live off the reduced pay.

10 point

Aflac refused to cover us here.
They took one driver's payments but turned around and refused to pay him.

raceanoncr

Had two hips done whilst feeder driver. Off 3 months with first...no problem...off 7 months with last...femur wasn't healing around rod they drill down it. Finally did and off to work. No prob.

Can't remember what metal. Zimmer brand is all I remember. Oh, yes, I have it somewhere just don't remember right now.

Yes, set off detectors EVERYWHERE. Had usual rent-a-cops trained when I came thru. New ones had to take a look at the card w/x-ray pic on it and still didn't believe. I offered to git nekkid but none ever took me up on it.

Airport was a shock, tho. Standing in detector line, I told em I had metal hips. They said "Thanks for telling us. Just stay in this line and we'll let viewers know".
Did get one pat-down. In Vegas, I think. Went thru routine, it was getting backed up. Newbie TSA came over to start a new line in a cheaper detector with no picture. Set it off. Had to do the whole schemer....with an UGLY dude. Why couldn't it have been some babe? Of course, I don't ever remember seeing a hot TSA babe so it may be a moot point.

Yeah, I know feeders is different than P/C. I don't know if I coulda gone back to P/C after that. Just kinda nervous.

Good luck to everyone that has/wants/needs it done. I'd do it over in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I know name's on pics. Don't care. Retired, ain't got nuttin to hide.

hips.jpg