RIP Andy Rooney

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

trpinkl,

When I first retired I took steps to get my Teachers license re-issued and fully believed I would go back to work. After a number of months of going to bed when I wanted to and getting up when I woke up naturally , not by an alarm clock -I realized that I would never hold a job again. Like you I do many things around the house that while I was working at UPS would never consider. I found out that I have a talent for "Landscape Design" Like you some days the body is ready and looking forward to hard work-- other days a good book in front of the fireplace with my cat on my lap is unbeatable.:happy-very:

This is exactly why I urge my younger co-workers to think about their retirement while they are still young--so that their financial situation when they do retire will be such that they will work by choice, not by necessity. I will be 58 when I have my 30 years. I had mentioned to my daughter that I might get my teaching certificate--she then gently reminded me that I don't like kids (this is not entirely true--I like my kids, just don't care for anyone elses) so teaching may not be a good fit for me.

Many of you know that I am a disciple of Dave Ramsey. Well, I am less than $1K away from being debt free (other than my mortgage), which is a wonderful feeling. Going in to retirement at or near debt free will be a huge plus.

I do know that I want to work as a helper for just one Peak after I call it quits. I think it would be neat to sit in the jump seat for a change knowing that there is zero pressure on me. In Upstate NY we can only work up to 40 hours in the same or similar industry without affecting our pension.

We just had a driver retire and less than 2 months later his wife filed for divorce. He had to find a job to pay his bills. That sucks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Many of you know that I am a disciple of Dave Ramsey. Well, I am less than $1K away from being debt free (other than my mortgage), which is a wonderful feeling. Going in to retirement at or near debt free will be a huge plus.

We just had a driver retire and less than 2 months later his wife filed for divorce. He had to find a job to pay his bills. That sucks.

We've been debt free for 5 years now (other than mortgage - in 3 yrs that is gone) - it does remove a lot of stress from your life.

Late life divorces can be very destructive to your finances. Cheaper to keep her is not an empty saying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We've been debt free for 5 years now (other than mortgage - in 3 yrs that is gone) - it does remove a lot of stress from your life.

Late life divorces can be very destructive to your finances. Cheaper to keep her is not an empty saying.

Without giving out too much info he told me they hadn't been intimate for 12 years. Not even hallway sex.

This is exactly why I urge my younger co-workers to think about their retirement while they are still young--so that their financial situation when they do retire will be such that they will work by choice, not by necessity. I will be 58 when I have my 30 years. I had mentioned to my daughter that I might get my teaching certificate--she then gently reminded me that I don't like kids (this is not entirely true--I like my kids, just don't care for anyone elses) so teaching may not be a good fit for me.

I do know that I want to work as a helper for just one Peak after I call it quits. I think it would be neat to sit in the jump seat for a change knowing that there is zero pressure on me. In Upstate NY we can only work up to 40 hours in the same or similar industry without affecting our pension.

Yea that would suck alright. Getting debt free is indeed a wonderful feeling. I had bought a place in the country about a year before I married the second time. I recently sold it and with what I had left paid of my wife's house so now we are debt free except for regular expenditures, taxes, insurance, food, utilities and what we want. That helps make the relatively meager retirement checks doable.

trpinkl,

When I first retired I took steps to get my Teachers license re-issued and fully believed I would go back to work. After a number of months of going to bed when I wanted to and getting up when I woke up naturally , not by an alarm clock -I realized that I would never hold a job again. Like you I do many things around the house that while I was working at UPS would never consider. I found out that I have a talent for "Landscape Design" Like you some days the body is ready and looking forward to hard work-- other days a good book in front of the fireplace with my cat on my lap is unbeatable.:happy-very:

My Ex is a retired teacher, 25 years. She got out mainly because new regulations have hogtied teachers/schools so much that unless the kids just want to be good in class, the teacher is in trouble. She got really tired of dealing with unruly kids that the parents thought were little angels and with administration that wouldn't/couldn't do much to help the situation. She taught in a neighborhood that had mostly higher income bracket families.

Landscaping is something I have little talent for, lol, I even hire out the mowing. But I am enjoying learning how to do various remodeling/renovating procedures.

OK, Herman Cain is not out yet.

moreluck

golden ticket member
To all you 'debt free' people.........do you have your niches or plots bought & paid for.............?????????????????

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To all you 'debt free' people.........do you have your niches or plots bought & paid for.............?????????????????

No I don't.
Three reasons:
1) Not a priority and I have no wishes - I'll be dead.
2) Don't know where I will be living in 10 years .... much less 20 or 25
3) I have enough money in the checking account to take care of that

klein

Für Meno :)
I'll just walk to the deep forest and let myself decay. (large country here, nobody will ever find me, besides all the wild animals and insects that will feed off me).

klein

Für Meno :)
Actually, forget about walking to the deep forest, I signed my healthcare-card backside. With a witness. I donated my entire body already (and they pay for what's ever left of it - to get rid of it) :)

Maybe, I end up in one of those CSI decaying plots ? - I don't care !

moreluck

golden ticket member
Actually no I don't ....yet. We have been discussing that some lately though. thanks for reminding me.
We lucked out. The neighbor friend that moved his elderly folks to Texas in Feb. had pre-paid niches in Pacific View in Newport Beach. He gave them to us....didn't want anything for them. His parents have since died in Texas and are buried there. Pre-planning is good if you stay put.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I caught the tribute to Andy on 60 Minutes tonight. It was a good show to me because it did not gloss over Andy's gruff personality or put him up on a pedestal - it seemed to be true. That is a bit unusual for 60 Minutes.

rod

Retired 22 years
I caught the tribute to Andy on 60 Minutes tonight. It was a good show to me because it did not gloss over Andy's gruff personality or put him up on a pedestal - it seemed to be true. That is a bit unusual for 60 Minutes.

I noticed that too. Dang -he really was a grumpy old cuss.