Safe Work Days My Ass

cynic

So, the 15 minute "safety" committee meeting wound up taking 45 minutes. Yes, it appears to be an ass kissing session with a PT pawn as the head of the committee and the center manager.

The phrase "Safety Grievance" went over like an ass-flapping fart in church - only one hourly smiled - the others looked like they had seen a ghost. I thought one hourly would need an EMT when I asked how many safety grievances on the same issue was considered standard practice before filing with OSHA. Oh, yes, please put that down in the minutes as an action item since we were unable to resolve or answer it during the meeting.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So, the 15 minute "safety" committee meeting wound up taking 45 minutes. Yes, it appears to be an ass kissing session with a PT pawn as the head of the committee and the center manager.

The phrase "Safety Grievance" went over like an ass-flapping fart in church - only one hourly smiled - the others looked like they had seen a ghost. I thought one hourly would need an EMT when I asked how many safety grievances on the same issue was considered standard practice before filing with OSHA. Oh, yes, please put that down in the minutes as an action item since we were unable to resolve or answer it during the meeting.

The TA includes language that allows for the removal of the CHSP union co-chair and any bargaining unit members on the committee, even though this has been an "unwritten right" of locals for some time now. While the union co-chair gig is a pretty cushy job for a PT'er (five hours/day doing office work and safe work methods observations), it's a magnet for pro-company clowns and spineless jackasses that essentially has little/no power outside of what a rank-and-file member or shop steward can do in regards to safety; ie. filing safety grievances, calling OSHA, etc.

Still, if the co-chair doesn't recognize they are heading a committee that was bargained for by the union and should thus be pursuing the interests of the union (demanding safety issues be addressed, holding management accountable whenever/however they can, informing members that safety comes ahead of numbers) rather than the interests of management (pushing DOK especially when a Keter audit is coming down the pipe, harassing members over dumb ****, etc etc.) then they need to go and can be removed by the BA if enough hourlies make some noise.

cynic

The TA includes language that allows for the removal of the CHSP union co-chair and any bargaining unit members on the committee, even though this has been an "unwritten right" of locals for some time now. While the union co-chair gig is a pretty cushy job for a PT'er (five hours/day doing office work and safe work methods observations), it's a magnet for pro-company clowns and spineless jackasses that essentially has little/no power outside of what a rank-and-file member or shop steward can do in regards to safety; ie. filing safety grievances, calling OSHA, etc.

Still, if the co-chair doesn't recognize they are heading a committee that was bargained for by the union and should thus be pursuing the interests of the union (demanding safety issues be addressed, holding management accountable whenever/however they can, informing members that safety comes ahead of numbers) rather than the interests of management (pushing DOK especially when a Keter audit is coming down the pipe, harassing members over dumb ****, etc etc.) then they need to go and can be removed by the BA if enough hourlies make some noise.

Bingo!! That's what this person is - so is the best place to start with my BA to start the process of getting this management pawn back to humping cardboard?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Bingo!! That's what this person is - so is the best place to start with my BA to start the process of getting this management pawn back to humping cardboard?

Yup. Before you get the ball rolling, however, I'd advise you talk to the other members on the committee and try to build support. Ultimately, the BA assigned to your UPS facility has the authority to select/remove the co-chair and any members of the committee. Depending on past practice, however, they might not be willing to do so until after the TA is ratified and that new language in the NMA takes affect.

cynic

Yup. Before you get the ball rolling, however, I'd advise you talk to the other members on the committee and try to build support. Ultimately, the BA assigned to your UPS facility has the authority to select/remove the co-chair and any members of the committee. Depending on past practice, however, they might not be willing to do so until after the TA is ratified and that new language in the NMA takes affect.

Excellent point. This person overlooks safety so much due to production numbers I really thought this safety jackass was PT management. It was when I told him I'd list him in the safety grievance that he said he was hourly I discovered he was not mgmt - he declined to answer whether he was in the union or not. (RTW state.)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Excellent point. This person overlooks safety so much due to production numbers I really thought this safety jackass was PT management. It was when I told him I'd list him in the safety grievance that he said he was hourly I discovered he was not mgmt - he declined to answer whether he was in the union or not. (RTW state.)
Did his name start with a big "I" ?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

If he's a scab, he should be canned from the safety committee ASAP.

Integrity

Binge Poster

cynic,

How many hourlies participated in the meeting?

How many from management?

Did you ask how the Hourly Co-chair was selected?

Did you ask about the Committee Member Handbook?

Sincerely,
I

cynic

cynic,

How many hourlies participated in the meeting? 9

How many from management? 1, the center manager

Did you ask how the Hourly Co-chair was selected? No, I took 30 minutes listing our safety issues

Did you ask about the Committee Member Handbook? No, I took 30 minutes listing our safety issues

Sincerely,
I

See above. I spent the majority of the meeting time listing out the safety concerns for our work area first, next meeting will ask all of the questions above you recommended, and obviously next is a conversation with our BA.