Safety Co-Chair offer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Being the Safety Co-Chair is sort of like being in charge of the steering wheel on a locomotive. UPS will let you wear the engineer hat, and you will get to blow the whistle and ring the bell and turn the wheel, but the train will only go where management wants it to....right back into the "safe zone" full of stickers and slogans and Keter audits. The track is circular and the destination never changes.

leastbest

LeastBest
I've been told by three CMs in a row that I'm not allowed to be on the safety committee. I guess 34 years of service, 31 driving and 21 years of safe driving aren't enough.

Fnix

I have a good relationship with our safety co-chair because I know him out of work. One day I was unloading a trailer 4ft off the unload bay because the trailer wouldnt budge so I had to stand on the very edge 8ft off the ground chucking boxes to another guy. The supes and center manager were watching wanting us to hurry up and the safety guy walked by and saw it but ignored it. I asked him later on why he didnt do anything and he said he has 2 kids to feed and cant risk losing his job and there is nothing he can do.

A few days before he is on peoples backs for shoes.

gandydancer

I've been told by three CMs in a row that I'm not allowed to be on the safety committee. I guess 34 years of service, 31 driving and 21 years of safe driving aren't enough.

"Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees There shall be Safety and Health committees to cover all full-time and part-time employees. There shall be one (1) committee per Center unless the number of employees and/or job classifications within a center dictate the establishment of more than one (1) committee. The respective committees will be comprised of a mutually agreed to number of bargaining unit representatives and up to an equal number of management representatives.

Bargaining unit members who seek to serve on the Safety and Health committee may volunteer to do so, with approval of the Local Union. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee.

...The Employer shall provide committee members with adequate time to perform committee functions, as described in paragraphs 1 through 7 below..."

It's the Local, not the center manager, that gets to approve "BARGAINING UNIT representatives" and they select the "UNION Co-Chair". Management prefers to say "Hourly representatives" and "non-Management co-chair", but that's not what the contract says. UPS can limit the number, but not whom, and provides time. The contract specifies functions. If your BA approves your place on the list of members allowed to serve and the number of committee members that management agrees to is as many or more than your place on the list and management refuses to give you the time to perform your commitee functions, specifically attendance at the safety meeting among other things, then grieve it. The Local can also refuse to approve -anyone- to serve on the safety committee unless management plays ball. So, is your BA in management's pocket, or not?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Thankyou Gandy,

Least, just show up at the meeting, they will have to pay you for the time. you have the right to participate in your safety committee.

I have a good relationship with our safety co-chair because I know him out of work. One day I was unloading a trailer 4ft off the unload bay because the trailer wouldnt budge so I had to stand on the very edge 8ft off the ground chucking boxes to another guy. The supes and center manager were watching wanting us to hurry up and the safety guy walked by and saw it but ignored it. I asked him later on why he didnt do anything and he said he has 2 kids to feed and cant risk losing his job and there is nothing he can do.

Fnix

bring his lack of concern for safety to your union, and ask to replace him. not only is he a poor example of what the cochair needs to be, he is a spineless piece of excuse for a ups man as well. There is not a thing ups can or will do if you stand up for safety issues at work.

Tell him to grow a set. and if he really thinks that ups can or will retaliate, get someone else in there. now!

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was informed last week by the current co-chair, that he would be quitting asap. He told me that it was just like I said, safety when they feel like doing safety. As with any new year the threat of an audit is pending, so instead of keeping the jargon in our minds throughout the year, here we go again cramming for the finals.:sad-little:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If we wanted effective safety committees, they would network with one another nationwide and hold the threat of mass resignations over UPS's head as a way to force the company to adopt real improvements instead of being stuck on word games and commentaries.

Imagine how much hot water UPS would be in with OSHA if every single member of every single committee nationwide were to write in on the same day and announce that they were quitting due to the company's refusal to make meaningful changes to equipment and facilites.

If the company wants to pass the Keter audits and have everyone be able to recite the commentaries and the 5 keys etc, we should hold their feet to the fire and refuse to cooperate until the older trucks get retrofitted with 3 point seat belts and power steering.

It would be like going on strike...except that, instead of refusing to work, we would merely refuse to regurgitate acronyms and safety drivel. No picket lines or missed paychecks, just a few less buzz words to recite.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've been offered the Safety Co-Chair position in my building. I'm currently the Wellness Champ. Would this be a good/bad move? What are the benefits/downsides of this position? I haven't accepted/rejected the position as of yet. What do you all think?

Who offered you the Safety Co-Chair, the other Safety Committee member or a management person?

I was informed last week by the current co-chair, that he would be quitting asap. He told me that it was just like I said, safety when they feel like doing safety. As with any new year the threat of an audit is pending, so instead of keeping the jargon in our minds throughout the year, here we go again cramming for the finals.:sad-little:

There are UPS documents that cover the responsibilities of the Hourly Co-Chairs and the Hourly members. Unfortunately I have not seen any committees really follow them to even a small degree. The Co-Chair should get it at his or her training, Co-Chairs are supposed to be officially trained. I believe it is an 8 hour training class. The one for other safety committee members is called the Committee Member Handbook and each member of the Safety Committee both hourly and management should get one when they join the Committee. You can probably access them on the Safety Sharepoint on the web at work. Maybe someone else out there would like to confirm this. It is crystal clear in these documents that it is the Hourly Co-Chair and the Hourly members who are to drive the actions and activities of the committee and the management members are to be the management support to these actions and activities. This is the image that is presented however it very rarely, if ever, is the case.

I

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Who offered you the Safety Co-Chair, the other Safety Committee member or a management person?

There are UPS documents that cover the responsibilities of the Hourly Co-Chairs and the Hourly members. Unfortunately I have not seen any committees really follow them to even a small degree. The Co-Chair should get it at his or her training, Co-Chairs are supposed to be officially trained. I believe it is an 8 hour training class. The one for other safety committee members is called the Committee Member Handbook and each member of the Safety Committee both hourly and management should get one when they join the Committee. You can probably access them on the Safety Sharepoint on the web at work. Maybe someone else out there would like to confirm this. It is crystal clear in these documents that it is the Hourly Co-Chair and the Hourly members who are to drive the actions and activities of the committee and the management members are to be the management support to these actions and activities. This is the image that is presented however it very rarely, if ever, is the case.

I
MGMT offered and I reluctantly/thoughtfully took the position with the idea that I could bring change. I left with no change.

Hey STUG,,, I noticed the first post in this thread was Dec 08.... my my what a difference a year makes huh?
You said it, brotha.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If we wanted effective safety committees, they would network with one another nationwide and hold the threat of mass resignations over UPS's head as a way to force the company to adopt real improvements instead of being stuck on word games and commentaries.

Imagine how much hot water UPS would be in with OSHA if every single member of every single committee nationwide were to write in on the same day and announce that they were quitting due to the company's refusal to make meaningful changes to equipment and facilites.

If the company wants to pass the Keter audits and have everyone be able to recite the commentaries and the 5 keys etc, we should hold their feet to the fire and refuse to cooperate until the older trucks get retrofitted with 3 point seat belts and power steering.

It would be like going on strike...except that, instead of refusing to work, we would merely refuse to regurgitate acronyms and safety drivel. No picket lines or missed paychecks, just a few less buzz words to recite.

Dear soberups,
I have started a social group here on the Brown Cafe with a similar purpose. My hope and vision sees this as an "at large" Safety Committee. In the future I even hope to be able to have regular live discussion meetings in the chat room. The name of the social group is employees4safetyIntegrity. When concerns come up, I will use the UPS Help Line exclusively for concerns of this group. You would definitely be an asset to my cause.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
MGMT offered and I reluctantly/thoughtfully took the position with the idea that I could bring change. I left with no change.

Dear stevetheupsguy,
The first change that I would recommend to all Safety Committees nationally that are not already doing this is to read and study and apply Article 18 section 20.4 of the National Master United Parcel Service Agreement.

It is crystal clear that the Union Co-Chair is to be selected by the union members of the Committee and that members of the committee are to be approved by the Local. The reason for this is that employees who are going to pander to management are not going to be able to effectively and strongly represent the rank and file in the area of Safety.

In the past I have personally run across a Division Manager, a Region Safety Manager and 2 Center Managers who did not even know that the Employee Health and Safety Committees are collectively bargained for at UPS.

I have also run across countless hourly employees, some who were committee members that did not know this either.

Sincerely,
I

barnyard

KTM rider
Steve, you resigned also????

I've been our cochair for 3 or 4 years now. I tried resigning a couple of times. Now, I am working as directed. I will do what I am asked and do a good job at it (I do have pride in my job.) I am not expecting to change anything. That makes it very hard.

I have lowered my expectations a ton.

The replacement of Ford P1000s with older GM P1000's told me everything I need to know about the companies' attitude towards safety.

As long as I get a couple of days off route every month, I will continue doing it.....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Dear stevetheupsguy,
The first change that I would recommend to all Safety Committees nationally that are not already doing this is to read and study and apply Article 18 section 20.4 of the National Master United Parcel Service Agreement.

It is crystal clear that the Union Co-Chair is to be selected by the union members of the Committee and that members of the committee are to be approved by the Local. The reason for this is that employees who are going to pander to management are not going to be able to effectively and strongly represent the rank and file in the area of Safety.

In the past I have personally run across a Division Manager, a Region Safety Manager and 2 Center Managers who did not even know that the Employee Health and Safety Committees are collectively bargained for at UPS.

I have also run across countless hourly employees, some who were committee members that did not know this either.

Sincerely,
I
I have again been enlightened.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
wow, from not having a clue, to giving council to division and regional managers........the morph is continuing.

now if we could just make progress on integity.......

d

barnyard

KTM rider

Sincerely,
I

I was elected by my driver group. I did not know it was a function of the contract. On the 'ballot' everyone was told to write down the 3 names they thought would make an effective cochair. My name was on the majority of the ballots....

I'll go read the contract to make sure that I am fulfilling my dutes.

Thanks for the head's up.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've been our cochair for 3 or 4 years now. I tried resigning a couple of times. Now, I am working as directed. I will do what I am asked and do a good job at it (I do have pride in my job.) I am not expecting to change anything. That makes it very hard.
Dear barnyard,

FYI.
Contractually serving on the Safety Committee is voluntary and employees can only serve with the approval of the Local.
Sincerely,
I

barnyard

KTM rider
Our driver group would just as soon see the whole safety committee go away. I also believe the voluntary part, while contractually correct, is kind of gray. I would guess that 1/2 of our committee is 'working as directed.' I also suggested that, "If safety is everyone's job, then everyone should serve on the safety committee at some point."

I really do believe that it is important to work safely and that left to our own devices, we will take shortcuts that could lead to accidents.

I also see that if our recommendations cost that company serious dough, they will be shelved.