Safety infractions & labor disputes

804teamster

In recent months I have observed a vast majority of management launching a campaign that not only disciplines hourly employees for labor issues more than ever , but crucifies workers for safety infractions .
since when has safety been a tool to harass employees for production ? local 804's safety director made a great point when he said "Safety and Labor disputes should be kept separate like church and state ".

Give it back to them in spades. Especially the safety issues. Get an OSHA guide and you`d be surprised how much they violate. Plus they don`t dare retaliate as that violate DOL laws protecting such reports on safety.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Give it back to them in spades. Especially the safety issues. Get an OSHA guide and you`d be surprised how much they violate. Plus they don`t dare retaliate as that violate DOL laws protecting such reports on safety.
cachsux,

Have you ever filed a formal complaint with OSHA?

Please PM if you are not comfortable sharing that information here?

Sincerely,
I

Absolutely. Gearing up for another one or two if the "proper chain of command" continue to hem and haw and stuff that needs to be fixed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Absolutely. Gearing up for another one or two if the "proper chain of command" continue to hem and haw and stuff that needs to be fixed.

cachsux,

Can you PM me the citation number or numbers I would like to look it up online and review it or them?

Post a link if you are comfortable.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sure. Pm me your social security and drivers license numbers so I know who I`m sending it to.
cachsux,

This information is private and I cannot give it to to you.

However,

OSHA publishes information on the inspections and citations on the internet.

This is in accordance with the Electroninc Freedom of Information Act.

It is available on the OSHA site 7 calendar days after the Citation is issued

A inspection #, citation # or Date of the inspection, and the state the facility is in is all relavent search criteria.

The records on the OSHA site appear to go back to 2006, so unless your complaints are before this they should be listed.

Sincerely,
I

C

chuchu

I will tell you that if you call your local OSHA agency they do NOT have to come on site unles there is an injury, death, etc. that mandates them to. OSHA will normally fax the violation inquiry to the center. BUT...if you write a letter and sign it they HAVE TO respond with an on site visit (altho they will probably alert the management that they are coming and what day and time that will be) but they will keep your name anonymus. Our center just got fined for egress violations and it was an employee who alerted OSHA to the problem with a written and signed letter. The PDS even LOCKED ALL THE DOORS in the center so the agent couldn't get in after the preload sort started. Silly boy. That just hacked the agent off more when they finally got in!

Integrity

Binge Poster
While one is not required to give ones name to file a complaint it does not have to be done anonymously either.
cachsux,

As you know a formal complaint that results in an inspection by the compliance officers must be done in writing and it does require a signature.

OSHA will not reveal the identity of the person filing the complaint without permission from the complainant.

Sincerely,
I

BCFan

We all need to spin the inflated numbers that management expects to relate to the fact that haste in our duties of driving could endanger the general public. Now my question to I is this a viable OSHA complaint?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We all need to spin the inflated numbers that management expects to relate to the fact that haste in our duties of driving could endanger the general public. Now my question to I is this a viable OSHA complaint?

There is no doubt that many of the accidents and injuries are happening because of people trying to make the "standard". I agree bc....the numbers are getting so out of hand. It's a control thing and just a way to deal with a union workforce...and an excuse to get on the car...period.

Integrity

Binge Poster
BCFan,

I'm not sure I understand.

What do you mean by spinning the inflated numbers?

What exactly do you mean by haste?

We all need to understand that we are fully resonsible for our actions.

If we are acting in a way that is endangering the public then we need to stop this at all cost to ourselves.

If you give me a specific incident or behavior I may be able to give you my opinion as to whether it may be a viable OSHA complaint?

Sincerely,
I

C

chuchu

BCFan,

I'm not sure I understand.

What do you mean by spinning the inflated numbers?

What exactly do you mean by haste?

We all need to understand that we are fully resonsible for our actions.

If we are acting in a way that is endangering the public then we need to stop this at all cost to ourselves.

If you give me a specific incident or behavior I may be able to give you my opinion as to whether it may be a viable OSHA complaint?

Sincerely,
I
Just google "OSHA WHISTLEBLOWER" information and read up on the driver who was fired for refusing to drive in unsafe conditions. He got WAY MORE than just back pay and seniority reinstated. This situation is very similar to being intimidated WHILE driving with a supervised ride. Drive the speed limit when conditions allow and document. The drivers that actually let over allowed affect their mindset are the ones at risk. Do the methods, drive safely, cut customer "contact" to the actual time necessary, deliver the pkgs to the right place on time (if possible) and don't break the traffic laws. Those of us who are trying to live (and die) by the daily dispatch summary numbers are the problem. What the heck are we trying to prove anyway? A quart holds just 32 ozs......jamb 1 more ounce into the glass with pressure and it'll shatter. Just sayin.