Salted constantly.....

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by nystripe96, Sep 28, 2011.

1. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

My supe keeps saltin me every shift cuz I'm new. While I catch the vast majority of them, I'd say I've mis-sorted about 7 packages since I started 3 weeks ago, but all were luckily retrieved. If I keep missorting is that grounds for firing even though I'm a hard worker and won't miss any days?

2. brett636

brett636 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just do your best to catch them when they are sent your way and study up on the ones you missed. Your attendance is a much bigger factor than your missorts assuming your not missorting nearly half of everything they are testing you on.

3. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

Ya, well he got me twice in the span of 5 mins the other day, so I'm stressin a little because I have no union protection for another month or so.

4. brett636

Just make sure you study on the ones you missed and keep going back to work. I was a sorter for over 10 years in my building and depending on the supervisor getting checked for exceptions was pretty normal, and I never knew anyone who was fired before they got their 30 days because they missed too many exceptions.

5. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

Well, its 40 days now, bleh. Got 27 left :(

6. brett636

Is it something different in your local? here its still 30 days till you get seniority.

7. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

I'm in local 408, so I guess so. Only bright side is 10 more days of no union fees haha

8. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

Missorts is definitely a way to lose your job. The two most important things are attendance and accuracy don't worry so much about speed. It will come later.

9. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

I think I'm focusing too much at speed right now, rather than accuracy. Thanks for the input. I'll get it down pat soon enough

10. brown_trousers

brown_trousers Active Member

There's not really any difference between a missed salt and a mis-sort/mis-load. Either way you are trying to send a package in the wrong direction. Its always better to go a bit slower in the beginning than to go fast and mis-load a bunch of packages. I can only imagine what would happen if you missorted a bunch of EAM or NDA packages, and they became service failures. I'm willing to bet discipline can and would be used.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Oh sure, make him even more nervous....

12. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

Oye vey. Nah, I'll get it. I just appreciate all the insight, it can only help in the long run.