Saw some pictures of Tesla tractors....

quad decade guy

Talked with an ORS that got a first hand look at the Ontario CA. hub. The center seat driver position was interesting. I asked about OJS rides...he said there can be provisions....

I asked about range and recharge time.....450 miles and 5 hours basically. He did mention "quick change" batteries. Also multiple large instrument screens....gosh we finally going to get navigation in feeders? Naw, they'll probably disable it....

So, lot's of our tractors here are double-utilized if possible. Diesel or CNG fueled in about 10-15 min. often hot-seating/handing the keys to a co-driver.

So, even the ORS admitted we would have to hire a whole new group to deal with Tesla tractors. Imagine the cost and time. He also mentioned the increased electrical requirements of the tractors physical plant.....basically as much as it takes to run the whole building.....!

Our infrastructure at our hub is based on fossil fuels. Tractors mainly CNG. Pkg car diesel/gasoline. We have a huge CNG network on property. 95% of our Feeders are CNG. With all electric pkg cars.....I would consider a failure.....we have a couple. They just don't have utility.

ORS said they were looking at acquiring 75 Tesla tractors. We've heard NOTHING here.

Platooning was mentioned also.

wilberforce15

Its all a pipe dream.

Yeah, good luck with that. Theyre gonna waste hella time waiting on trailers to be ready for the group of trucks to leave, vs the energy savings of platooting a bunch of trucks together.
It's not for energy savings.

It's for driver-savings.

A platoon with 3 drivers will turn into a platoon with 1 driver, and then one with no driver. Energy isn't the big deal.

wilberforce15

Talked with an ORS that got a first hand look at the Ontario CA. hub. The center seat driver position was interesting. I asked about OJS rides...he said there can be provisions....

I asked about range and recharge time.....450 miles and 5 hours basically. He did mention "quick change" batteries. Also multiple large instrument screens....gosh we finally going to get navigation in feeders? Naw, they'll probably disable it....

So, lot's of our tractors here are double-utilized if possible. Diesel or CNG fueled in about 10-15 min. often hot-seating/handing the keys to a co-driver.

So, even the ORS admitted we would have to hire a whole new group to deal with Tesla tractors. Imagine the cost and time. He also mentioned the increased electrical requirements of the tractors physical plant.....basically as much as it takes to run the whole building.....!

Our infrastructure at our hub is based on fossil fuels. Tractors mainly CNG. Pkg car diesel/gasoline. We have a huge CNG network on property. 95% of our Feeders are CNG. With all electric pkg cars.....I would consider a failure.....we have a couple. They just don't have utility.

ORS said they were looking at acquiring 75 Tesla tractors. We've heard NOTHING here.

Platooning was mentioned also.
The infrastructure change is huge and expensive, and would require reordering things in operations to accommodate. But the savings are so big they won't be ignored. It will take a while, though.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It's not for energy savings.

It's for driver-savings.

A platoon with 3 drivers will turn into a platoon with 1 driver, and then one with no driver. Energy isn't the big deal.
That's not why they're buying them right now, but I agree, platooning will be a huge issue sooner than later. And the union will kick the can down the road when it comes to negotiating about it until it's too late.

wilberforce15

That's not why they're buying them right now, but I agree, platooning will be a huge issue sooner than later. And the union will kick the can down the road when it comes to negotiating about it until it's too late.
It's not why UPS is buying them now, sure, but it's why Tesla is pushing platooning. They live on data, and UPS will provide some.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A4DB9DF4-F55D-4B88-A6BE-1C36ACA5E9E7.jpeg

Poop Head

Judge me.
Idk. The whole idea of platooning trucks seems dangerous and like a big liability to me. Doing it in the middle of the night in arizona is one thing. Add real traffic, construction, emergency vehicles and weather, etc...

quad decade guy

What was that 90's program called ?
It was a gov't sponsored program.
Where the used motor oil was to be used as fuel ?
The darn engines smelled really bad.
Heard every engine blew up.
80's really....

The Stratified Engine.

We had them in Automotive......yep.....trouble from day one.

Kept eating cam shafts......UPS shucked that pretty quick....

Kinda like MB Sprinters and total EV pkg cars.....pushed against the fence and quickly forgotten....

quad decade guy

So, those Tesla's will require dedicated trailers....we don't do that.

We tear crap up so fast.....

Most of the trailers I pull......look like they were pulled from the bottom of the ocean......severe corrosion....and the UPS ZZZ's unless brand new, all have speed tape and upper damage.

These Tesla's will have special sensors and all....platooning.....