Seat belt buckle ~ GM strikes again!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
20160516_214816.jpg
So this installment of a HD driver...

Gm latch internals fell apart!

Sooo, i am one who uses this seatbelt at every stop...

Well it fell apart on me this Saturday and i was lucky to have it stuck on so at least i can slide under the shoulder belt

Cheap plastic tabs to hold the metal latch mechanism in place.

Pix can essplain how i fixed it:

20160516_212228.jpg

20160516_213928.jpg

20160516_211856.jpg

20160516_215519.jpg

So the latch casing split in half... making the red release button inoperable and the innards just fell out of place.

Good thing i had that special sized torx bit to un do that seatbelt latch and play with it in the living room

Didnt have super glue, so electrical tape was used to hold it together. Shabadaba ding dong! I saved another trip to the FedEx mechanic!

OrioN

It's working nicely now... but a typical ground driver doesn't even strap on, eh?

If it does come apart again, i can always used the passenger side and switch over.

I see it every morning as i drive into the HD building... ground building is separate and not a co~ location yet & i see quite a few driving out without their seatbelts on... i guess they don't have families or has super high life insurance so when they do fly out of rheir stepvans from getting t boned.

There are many youtube vids about these and some older full metal GM buckles, but this is the exact problem i had.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
View attachment 97056 So this installment of a HD driver...

Gm latch internals fell apart!

Sooo, i am one who uses this seatbelt at every stop...

Well it fell apart on me this Saturday and i was lucky to have it stuck on so at least i can slide under the shoulder belt

Cheap plastic tabs to hold the metal latch mechanism in place.

Pix can essplain how i fixed it:

View attachment 97053
View attachment 97052

View attachment 97055
View attachment 97057

So the latch casing split in half... making the red release button inoperable and the innards just fell out of place.

Good thing i had that special sized torx bit to un do that seatbelt latch and play with it in the living room

Didnt have super glue, so electrical tape was used to hold it together. Shabadaba ding dong! I saved another trip to the FedEx mechanic!
You'd be a fool not to get the mechanism replaced.

OrioN

You'd be a fool not to get the mechanism replaced.

Absentee subcontractor... im basically on my own, so no one really manages me. I come in, look at my overview, move a stop or two to the neighboring routes that the Orion trace think it's mine, preload my own truck, do a #2 delivery in the restroom before i head out on the road

Im a fool for not joining team Brown! some coworkers of mine are worse by not using a seatbelt at all...

Me just a dumb package car driver who uses driving for dummies orion trace system to drive around in circles.

Heck, some of my coworkers probably can't use a forum like this, or day too poor to afford teh internetz

Last edited:

dezguy

If that seat belt fails and workers comp sees that you were fiddling with the seat belt, someone is going to be in some trouble, at least in my province.

I wouldn't care if I had an absentee contractor, he/she'd be getting a phone call to get it fixed.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If that seat belt fails and workers comp sees that you were fiddling with the seat belt, someone is going to be in some trouble, at least in my province.

I wouldn't care if I had an absentee contractor, he/she'd be getting a phone call to get it fixed.
Imagine how the insurance company would feel about that also?

No way he should mess with safety features.

OrioN

I am just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to ground or hd truck conditions... I've seen worse

bacha29

For the life of me I still can't understand why you do all this.
I agree. This is not a case of an absentee contractor but rather an irresponsible contractor just sitting back collecting the money and as long as the money keeps coming he will not change his approach. Orion's job is to pick it up here haul it over there, put it down here. Not spending his evenings, weekends and own money trying to hold his truck together, especially those cutaways which are low cost cheaply built units that have a limited life span no matter what you try to do.

OrioN

count how many FX drivers aren't wearing a seatbelt today. like the following jem:

stepvans are worse than my GMC. at least i have a door closed... during the summer, these jokers have their seatbelts OFF and both the sliding pocket doors OPEN

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
count how many FX drivers aren't wearing a seatbelt today. like the following jem:

stepvans are worse than my GMC. at least i have a door closed... during the summer, these jokers have their seatbelts OFF and both the sliding pocket doors OPEN
I wear my seat belt all day, every day, in my personal vehicle as well. If I am injured or killed in an accident it won't be because I was too stupid or lazy to wear a seat belt.

OrioN

yup. many stupid/lazy drivers at FX Ground /HD... but here's a smart one who wised up and got out of the game:

i got complacent with my route over the summer; good country folk ~ no ghetto areas, one gated community of retired people, and maybe less than 10 businesses. So what if i'm having an average of 2 miles per stop! dunno how this subcontractor is making out on this route, but he has MANY other routes that are condensed like UPS, but are doing back-breaking work like that guy i just linked

STFXG

Dude. Get a new one. I'm sure you fixed it correctly but it isn't worth it. I had a driver that wanted me to pay him to do brakes on his own truck. Not worth the risk. Seat belt buckles aren't expensive (unless it's a Sprinter). Don't be dopey.

OrioN

Don't get yo panties in a bunch, folks...

I swapped it to the passenger side (which gets no use out of it anyways) but they still work OK

Look at all the hack jobs other people are doing... that model's use of silicone is genius

dezguy

We had a guy up here die after getting in a head on, no seat belt, driver side door open. The police estimated the speed of both vehicles involved in the crash to be around 30kph, so not fast at all. Fool left behind a widow and two kids. Worst part was he was a casual courier/handler, 3 pay grades lower than a courier with no benefits. Gave his life for a company that didn't even consider him a permanent employee.

It will be fine

We had a guy up here die after getting in a head on, no seat belt, driver side door open. The police estimated the speed of both vehicles involved in the crash to be around 30kph, so not fast at all. Fool left behind a widow and two kids. Worst part was he was a casual courier/handler, 3 pay grades lower than a courier with no benefits. Gave his life for a company that didn't even consider him a permanent employee.
Ground has at least 2 fatalities this fiscal year of people falling out of the truck and getting run over. One was a driver and the other a trainer, both run over by their own truck because they weren't wearing seatbelts. There's no way putting on a seatbelt shouldn't be automatic muscle memory if your job is to drive.