Secession, A Word Heard More & More

wkmac

IS "Secession In Our Future?"

I don't think so at least at this time but found the POV interesting none the less.

I can't help but love this

I wonder if the whole State of Virginia is on Janet Napolitano's watch list?

LOL!!!!!

tieguy

Banned
IS "Secession In Our Future?"

I don't think so at least at this time but found the POV interesting none the less.

I can't help but love this

I wonder if the whole State of Virginia is on Janet Napolitano's watch list?

LOL!!!!!

The first couple of times you raised this idea I thought it crazy. Now I'm not so sure. this country is polarized more then it ever has been. Your large urban areas are predominantly liberal. Your rural areas more conservative. Very little common ground in between.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I been thinking of moving to Texas.

You're not the only one. The employment picture is a whole lot brighter down there. And when things pick up again, the cost of living is heckuva lot less than pretty much any city in the North. Houston and its surrounding area may be the exception to that generality but Dallas, Austin and San Antone are pretty reasonable if I'm not mistaken. -Rocky

You mean the Republic of Texas?

LOL. Now, now. Did you know that when Texas joined the Union it was with the caveat that it had the option of splitting into 4 (or was it 5? Satellite may know the answer to this question) different states at some point. And remember......there's a reason for the saying 'don't mess with Texas!' :happy-very: -Rocky

Caveat: I am a native Texan

wkmac

Believe it or not, Texas is not the only place that has a somewhat leg up in the idea of secession. People are starting to research law and so far it's been uncovered that Rhode Island and to my shock, New York, at the time they joined the union also reserved their right to secede should they choose to do so. On the 3/18 Fox "Freedom Watch" program, Judge Napolitano also pointed this out about Texas, Rhode Island and New York.

Secession is also not a southern thing as there were threats of secession by northern states not long after the nation was formed. Interesting enough, last July, St. Louis Today ran a story of Secession and it turns out the idea in very recent years was more alive with democrats upset over election outcomes than it was among republican/rightwing/militia types as is so often the myth. I'm sure the fortunes of elections have tampered those rumbling but I guess now they've in essence, switched sides based on shifting politcal fortunes.
:happy-very:

As I said in my original post, I don't think secession in any meaningful way is gonna happen because I don't believe the broader American public has the courage or will to do so. We've become to comfortable being parasites off of each other and using gov't as a mechanism to find us blood victims to feed our vampire appetites. Secession and the possible freedom and liberty that comes with it would require to much work and effort on our own individual parts rather than the current system of other's labor doing for us what we are to lazy to do for ourselves so for now, the idea and talk of secession is at best an awaking that in the future might serve as a way of seperating the wheat from the chaff!

jmo

:peaceful:

wkmac

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/04/30/does-state-think-texas-is-a-foreign-country/

This lists all of the countries that our current sec of state has visited, along with the mileage.
Texas is listed as a foreign country.

Giving in to the inevitable are they! :happy-very:

Couple of interesting websites that are focused in whole or part on secession are Front Porch Republic and Vermont Commons.

At Front Porch, there is this on secession. Also at Front Porch, the opinions are diverse and I've not myself even seen a hint of so-called militia types that seems some elements of gov't are worried with.

At Vermont Common and it's sister secession website, the focus is on secession but the Vermont movement in today's political climate would be seen more from a so-called "left" perspective but I just see it all as freedom, liberty with local governance and de-centralization (politically, socially and most important economically). If that's left then I'm hardcore left!

Along these same lines of de-centralizing of power (JimJimmyJames, I'm posting this mainly for you in respect to your wanting ideas of diverse opinion) I read this at the blog site known as "The Left Conservative".

In actuality this phenomenon is common and shows us just how meaningless the artificial political distinctions are these days. In arguing on behalf of a "left conservatism," I have often talked about alliances formed to combat empire. In truth though these "alliances" are more than just pragmatic coalitions. They are natural outgrowths of overlapping philosophies that are more often than not in synch. In a decentralist world the supporters of Ron Paul and Ralph Nader would not look very different. It is only because of the problem of artificial institutional bigness that the gap appears so large today.

P

pickup

Really? and does a state secede from its share of national debt? (however you want to count it) Does it get to keep any nuclear weapons that happen to be on its property or does it get any that it paid for that just happen to be on other lands.

Do other countries take advantage of this division like , I don't know a quick nuclear tactical attack because these newly formed nations can't cooperate amongst themselves.

Look at the south, see how it worked out for them. I don't think anyone of these states have even successfully invoked the state sovereignty clauses yet in fighting the federal laws shoved down their throats. Think they are going to do more than that when they haven't even done that yet?

tieguy

Banned
It was it's own nation for 10 years before joining the U.S. in 1845.
And Chuck Norris is interested in running for the presidency of Texas.
Yee Haw! Then we can move the border fence up to Amarillo!

Thats why texas would not want to be its own nation. The cost of the illegal immigration problem alone would kill them financially.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Heard a silly tale about that SC Governor who went missing.
Seem he may have been at a Russian Embassy , asking for them to be the first to acknowledge the secession of S.C.

wkmac

Oh, it's even better than that :happy-very: click

I heard about this and thought about Lord Acton's "absolute power corrupts absolutely!"

I guess this is considered bad news for the elephant crowd as Sanford's name was batted around as a potential 2012' golden boy. I imagine another skirt chaser in Newt is dancing around singing "Another One Bites the Dust" as he prepares himself for 2012'.