Split Shift 22.3

brown2023

Central State. Michigan,USA.

Recently found out that they are shutting down the night sort at my hub. The night sort acts as a bridge for 90% of the inside full time employees. Twilight/Night. Night/Preload.
Nothing has been presented in writing yet to our local as this change isn't suppose to happen until September 29th 2023. Just wondering what to expect from anyone who has gone through this. Rumor mill has it that they will have every 22.3 employee work a "split shift". That is work Twilight. And come back...possibly 3-5hrs later and then work preload.. and then somehow get back up and work Twilight again the next day. I don't understand how the union would allow this kind of disruption in a members life. It just doesn't seem safe(health wise) and would cause a lot of family disfunction. The union book has it that the company can't have us take a lunch for more than 1.5 hrs. Yet, I'm hearing there's a loop hole where that can be ignored. My, and many others, anxiety is through the roof. The union hall isn't saying a word and they just keep repeating "we have to wait until we a get something in writing appx 45 days before any operational change."

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Recently found out that they are shutting down the night sort at my hub. The night sort acts as a bridge for 90% of the inside full time employees. Twilight/Night. Night/Preload.
Nothing has been presented in writing yet to our local as this change isn't suppose to happen until September 29th 2023. Just wondering what to expect from anyone who has gone through this. Rumor mill has it that they will have every 22.3 employee work a "split shift". That is work Twilight. And come back...possibly 3-5hrs later and then work preload.. and then somehow get back up and work Twilight again the next day. I don't understand how the union would allow this kind of disruption in a members life. It just doesn't seem safe(health wise) and would cause a lot of family disfunction. The union book has it that the company can't have us take a lunch for more than 1.5 hrs. Yet, I'm hearing there's a loop hole where that can be ignored. My, and many others, anxiety is through the roof. The union hall isn't saying a word and they just keep repeating "we have to wait until we a get something in writing appx 45 days before any operational change."

Thanks in advance.
Would you rather be laid off permanently?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Thanks in advance.

Union can’t tell them how to run their business
What would you propose?

brown2023

The Union can not tell the company how to run the business. The Union can protect the workers being displaced.
The Union serves many roles. Every new contract the Union does have a say. UPS could say our new policy is no one gets 8hrs. And no more over time. Or they could say if u want 8 hrs we'll make it so difficult for u to have a life you'll give up a quit. The union doesn't need to be on the board to make its members lives better. That's what negotiations and contracts are for. And so to my original post. I was asking if anyone has gone through this. Don't need a debate on what a unions job is.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
The Union serves many roles. Every new contract the Union does have a say. UPS could say our new policy is no one gets 8hrs. And no more over time. Or they could say if u want 8 hrs we'll make it so difficult for u to have a life you'll give up a quit. The union doesn't need to be on the board to make its members lives better. That's what negotiations and contracts are for. And so to my original post. I was asking if anyone has gone through this. Don't need a debate on what a unions job is.
Unfortunately, I feel like your hands are tied. I've done it in our small center when it gets slow.
Work preload like 6:30 to 10:30, go home for a few, head back for 4 to 8 local.
It's not optimal, but it has some perks for me. See my kids in the best part of the day vs. from 6 pm to bedtime. Can stop in and take care of business related matters, etc.

DriverNerd

There's really not much the union can do in the case of permanent shift changes. When operations change it puts a strain on everybody. Just ask anyone whose building shuts down and their option is to get laid off or drive over an hour to work. Hopefully you live close enough to the building that a split shift wouldn't be horrendous. Maybe they'll offer the option to go back to part time - yes this is rare, but could happen in this instance.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

So, you think you’re the first person in ups history to work on a sort that gets shutdown? Bad news your not
You could always drive LOL everyone knows you don’t have the nuts for that

brown2023

So, you think you’re the first person in ups history to work on a sort that gets shutdown? Bad news your not
You could always drive LOL everyone knows you don’t have the nuts for

You could always drive LOL everyone knows you don’t have the nuts for that
No I don't think so. That's why I asked the question. Package delivery isn't brain science...and if that becomes an option I'll take it. Ive been here for almost 25yrs and i was able to secure a inside full time job way before any driving jobs became available. At this point you're just a troll/clown. Kindly go back to ur miserable hole of existence.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No I don't think so. That's why I asked the question. Package delivery isn't brain science...and if that becomes an option I'll take it. Ive been here for almost 25yrs and i was able to secure a inside full time job way before any driving jobs became available. At this point you're just a troll/clown. Kindly go back to ur miserable hole of existence.
3AAB2383-D5A0-4028-AABA-896722B6E744.gif

brown2023

Unfortunately, I feel like your hands are tied. I've done it in our small center when it gets slow.
Work preload like 6:30 to 10:30, go home for a few, head back for 4 to 8 local.
It's not optimal, but it has some perks for me. See my kids in the best part of the day vs. from 6 pm to bedtime. Can stop in and take care of business related matters, etc.
Right on. Thank you for that. I know the twilight here start times changes weekly and can sometimes start at 12-1pm and last to 10pm. Maybe they'll have all the full timers start later. I don't see night sort starting back up when it's gone so having to go another 20-25yrs on interrupted sleep freaks me out. See how it plays out.

opie

Unless there's another building in your area that has back to back shifts. You may have to have to work those shifts. There's been rumors of shifts closing in our area when Bayonne opens. The 22.3 employees affected will likely be offered a different shift in their building or go to Bayonne.