Security Shoots Armed Man Outside NJ UPS

J

jibbs

He's just taking a picture, bro, you asserted that it's obvious he's simply exercising his right to bear. I'm surprised you thought he looked menacing.

Menacing enough to shoot? Hmmm. I suggest we stop setting up straw men and stick to the issue at hand in the original post. It's just a suggestion, though-- of course we're all free to do whatever we want, including getting shot for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the other hand, if the security guard was in the wrong, tell me, where are the riots?

Wizard-of-Oz-Scarecrow.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
He's just taking a picture, bro, you asserted that it's obvious he's simply exercising his right to bear. I'm surprised you thought he looked menacing.

Menacing enough to shoot? Hmmm. I suggest we stop setting up straw men and stick to the issue at hand in the original post. It's just a suggestion, though-- of course you're free to do whatever you want, including getting shot for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On the other hand, if the security guard was in the wrong, tell me, where are the riots?
I don't know if the security guard was wrong or not. I have yet to hear the entire story. What I am getting at is that it's ludicrous to simply say that because they were openly armed they were logically considered a threat justifying deadly force. IF being openly armed causes that level of fear and angst in people, and we consider killing them justified...or are there other considerations? I am willing to guess there are other considerations that will differ from individual to individual an be completely unconstitutional. Think of it. "I'm afraid of you and your right to open carry so I had to shoot you." Yeah. Frightened people do crazy things.

J

jibbs

What I am getting at is that it's ludicrous to simply say that because they were openly armed they were logically considered a threat justifying deadly force.

I wish you would've just said that to begin with instead of all that picture BS.

IF being openly armed causes that level of fear and angst in people, and we consider killing them justified...or are there other considerations? I am willing to guess there are other considerations that will differ from individual to individual an be completely unconstitutional. Think of it. "I'm afraid of you and your right to open carry so I had to shoot you." Yeah. Frightened people do crazy things.

I agree, wholeheartedly, that there likely was and should always be other considerations taken into account before taking lethal action.

Unfortunately, you asked me to answer before on the fly and I came up with what I did without fully expressing my thoughts on the subject. I just kind of fired back with the first consideration one should take in these situations, which is whether or not your (for conversational sake, I'll say) target is armed. I didn't really think my response through much further than that before hitting the reply button.

wayfair

swollen member
What I am getting at is that it's ludicrous to simply say that because they were openly armed they were logically considered a threat justifying deadly force. IF being openly armed causes that level of fear and angst in people, and we consider killing them justified...or are there other considerations?

What's your definition of openly armed??

weapon in holster or weapon in hand?

Like I've suggested MANY times before, you need to take a class and quit trolling

newarkster

I work out of that building and from what I was told is that the young gentleman with his gun in hand approached the vehicle that the armed officer was sitting in and tried to carjack him. Oh boy did he pick the wrong vehicle to carjack.

Mack Grant

That is not possible.

New Jersey has some of the strictest gun-control laws in the country. You must be wrong; it obviously would have to be one of the safest places in the country to work and live.

Jersey's gun laws only result in the criminals having firearms and not the law abiding citizens.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I work out of that building and from what I was told is that the young gentleman with his gun in hand approached the vehicle that the armed officer was sitting in and tried to carjack him. Oh boy did he pick the wrong vehicle to carjack.
which is why I had said before I was wondering if the guy was brandishing it, had it holstered etc. That makes all the difference.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If two suspicious characters approached me at 4am and they had guns and I was equally armed, I sure as hell won't wait until they shoot me to see what their intentions are.

Shoot first, ask questions later

And my #blackpeoplearespecial was just me mocking the protesting weenies all across the country.

On one hand we hear #blacklivesmatter, and on the other we hear the chant
"WHAT DO WE WANT!?!?"
"DEAD COPS"
"WHEN DO WE WANT THEM?"
"NOW!!!"

Would I be seen as menacing if I stoop outside of Planned Parenthood in a shady neighborhood with a #blacklivesmatter placard? If they matter so much, stop killing them yourselves

browner89

Jersey's gun laws only result in the criminals having firearms and not the law abiding citizens.

That's what most gun restriction laws do.

Criminals don't care and law abiding citizens are left begging for help when they need it. I'm not a gun nut but laws don't stop the bad guys from breaking them. I definitely want to have my guns, which I do, legally, for home defense and recreational purposes and hope that I never have to even think about using them on another human.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
who in NJ are allowed to carry open ????? not a couple thugs..

Law enforcement, retired law enforcement, private security guards/contractors (while on duty only) and I believe private investigators who previously worked in law enforcement.

If you do not qualify as one of the above, you are not allowed to be issued a carry permit.

Of course, these laws cannot be properly enforced and therefore they cannot stop anyone from doing so unless they are caught.

Mack Grant

That's what most gun restriction laws do.

Criminals don't care and law abiding citizens are left begging for help when they need it. I'm not a gun nut but laws don't stop the bad guys from breaking them. I definitely want to have my guns, which I do, legally, for home defense and recreational purposes and hope that I never have to even think about using them on another human.
Absolutely agree.