security?

BrownArmy

We have a guard shack with a metal detector, but it's kind of a joke.

On the way out you have to empty your pockets of metallic items and show your lunch-box/work bag's contents to the security guard.

More often than not, I set the metal detector off anyway if I'm wearing my steel-toe boots.

Walking in in the morning, every single person sets off the metal detector, and the guard just says, "good morning".

I'm not sure about getting anything OUT of the facility, but I have no doubt I could bring anything IN that I wanted.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had a kid who thought stealing those little trees (Car Freshener is in Watertown) was fun. He would give some of the other peoloaders a ride home, and I guess his passenger floor was covered in trees.
He loaded that truck, so it was easy to steal them from the returns.
I was in DA and had a package come to me that was addressed to out acting preload sup. I gave it to him and watched him open it and put it on the belt. I didn't think much of it at the time. He was tempting the kid with dvd's. Security had set up a sting. It worked. Kid was an idiot. Security does work, sometimes.

UPSGUY72

We had a kid who thought stealing those little trees (Car Freshener is in Watertown) was fun. He would give some of the other peoloaders a ride home, and I guess his passenger floor was covered in trees.
He loaded that truck, so it was easy to steal them from the returns.
I was in DA and had a package come to me that was addressed to out acting preload sup. I gave it to him and watched him open it and put it on the belt. I didn't think much of it at the time. He was tempting the kid with dvd's. Security had set up a sting. It worked. Kid was an idiot. Security does work, sometimes.

The cops where at my building last week when I got back to the building. Apparently someone on the local sort isn't to bright. We have camera's all over are building....

W

want to retire

Happens all the time. By the time we do our end of day and punch out our cars are all defrosted.

Quite smug about it........they would have you dead nuts busted for stealing time.....and they would be right. You know it's stealing time, right?

W

want to retire

We're told about four times a year that we can't stop in the parking lot before punch-out to do 'whatever'.

You would think that as closely as we are watched, this would be pretty obvious. I suspect Upstate would not understand if he was fired for this. As it seems he does alot things "his" way.......as an observation(based on what he admits, says)IMHO.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would think that as closely as we are watched, this would be pretty obvious. I suspect Upstate would not understand if he was fired for this. As it seems he does alot things "his" way.......as an observation(based on what he admits, says)IMHO.

We are also told once a year that we are not to go to our personal vehicles prior to punching out but you can sit in the parking lot any night and watch the same people do it every night. The number goes up during the winter months. If and when I do it it takes me less than a minute to start my car and turn on the defroster. Some of the guys spend upwards of 5 minutes at their personal vehicles---to me that is clearly stealing time, much like changing in to street clothes before punching out.

BrownArmy

To be fair, my impression is that Upstate works in a much smaller center than I do, and by his reports, his center functions on a much more 'rational' basis than other centers, including mine.

I.E. it shouldn't be a problem to stop by your car and start it up...things like this were probably the norm in most centers in the past...perhaps in Upstate's center, there is less of an antagonistic relationship between management and hourlies.

I only have five years in, but I hear so many stories about how things 'used to be, back in the day'...my impression is that a lot of things used to slide that just don't slide anymore.

I just work as directed, life is a lot simpler for me that way.

W

want to retire

We are also told once a year that we are not to go to our personal vehicles prior to punching out but you can sit in the parking lot any night and watch the same people do it every night. The number goes up during the winter months. If and when I do it it takes me less than a minute to start my car and turn on the defroster. Some of the guys spend upwards of 5 minutes at their personal vehicles---to me that is clearly stealing time, much like changing in to street clothes before punching out.

OK. Again, I'm no homer. But, you might as well say"I steal less than the other guys". Right? I'm less wrong. Whatever. You really going to stand on that logic and reasoning? I'll ask you-the district mgr see's you do this......You going to tell him "it's ok Bob, I steal less than most of them...." But what really ices the cake.....you admit to being told not to do it. maybe even in writing(I don't know). If they walk you out tomorrow(for this), try to get your job back?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK. I'll bite....how so?

Please answer my other question.

I'll answer the other question first. Yes, if they were to press the issue, I would not have a leg to stand on.

As to the small center difference---basically, if you are a scratch driver who takes care of his business and doesn't get a lot of complaints mgt will look the other way on minor transgressions.

W

want to retire

I'll answer the other question first. Yes, if they were to press the issue, I would not have a leg to stand on.

As to the small center difference---basically, if you are a scratch driver who takes care of his business and doesn't get a lot of complaints mgt will look the other way on minor transgressions.

I'm impressed. I think all of that is true until.......something happens. BTW-do you think stealing is minor(so-called)? Last I looked, it was a cardinal sin...As major as they get. See?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have a guard shack with a metal detector, but it's kind of a joke.

On the way out you have to empty your pockets of metallic items and show your lunch-box/work bag's contents to the security guard.

More often than not, I set the metal detector off anyway if I'm wearing my steel-toe boots.

Walking in in the morning, every single person sets off the metal detector, and the guard just says, "good morning".

I'm not sure about getting anything OUT of the facility, but I have no doubt I could bring anything IN that I wanted.

This is the same exact "security system" that we have.

The company had the bright idea to place a metal detector inside of a metal guard shack. The result is a "detector" that randomly screeches every time the door is opened or closed.

Whenever we get a new guard, the line outside the guard shack gets 5 or 6 deep while he goes thru the motions of "inspecting" lunch boxes etc and wanding people down with the hand held detector when they set off the main one by opening the door.

After a day or two of this idiocy, the guard realizes that the entire setup is a complete farce and stops paying any attention to the detector. To get in, you simply show ID and a property sticker on your cell phone, and walk on thru while the metal detector beeps.

PT employees who arent in uniform get inspected fairly thoroughly on their way out, but if you are a driver in uniform you get nothing more than a cursory glance at the sticker on your phone or maybe a peek inside a lunch box while the screching metal detector gets ignored. Even without a metal building, the detector would go off from belt buckles, watches, hair clips or other jewelry. A while back we had a guard who got "wand happy" and wound up in a loud argument with a large-busted female employee who was setting off the hand held metal detector with the wires in her bra and did not appreciate being "wanded" in such a manner in front of others.

The entire setup is a joke, and a perfect example of what happens at UPS when someone in management with lots of authority and zero brains has himself a bright idea and decides to implement it without any input from the underlings who wind up having to liv with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm impressed. I think all of that is true until.......something happens. BTW-do you think stealing is minor(so-called)? Last I looked, it was a cardinal sin...As major as they get. See?

Do I consider pulling in to the parking lot, pulling up next to my vehicle, hopping out and starting it up, then continuing on to park the pkg car, which adds less than a minute to my turn in, to be stealing? I guess in the strictest sense of the word you may be right but when I am giving them 45-60 minutes per day by running .75 to 1.00 under I am not that concerned about 30-60 seconds. And neither are they.

BCFan

So let's see if I understand....if said employee is a suck up rear end smoocher who runs all day unsafely without taking the proper amount of relief time , this said employee is afforded "special" privileges. Also just so I am clear, is this special and different treatment acceptable to all parties covered my the Master CBA? I was under the impression that all employees were to be treated equal. Is this a side deal made,expressly forbidden by said CBA and the afore mentioned suck up rear end smooches? Please enlighten this entire forum, thank you BC

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
To the best of my knowledge, we have never been told that we can't stop in the parking lot before punch out. I am in a very small center and it's not a big deal. I've stopped at my vehicle leaving in the morning and coming in at night.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So let's see if I understand....if said employee is a suck up rear end smoocher who runs all day unsafely without taking the proper amount of relief time , this said employee is afforded "special" privileges. Also just so I am clear, is this special and different treatment acceptable to all parties covered my the Master CBA? I was under the impression that all employees were to be treated equal. Is this a side deal made,expressly forbidden by said CBA and the afore mentioned suck up rear end smooches? Please enlighten this entire forum, thank you BC

Yawn.