Sen. Richard Blumenthal: UPS owes customers refunds for late Christmas packages

worldwide

Sen. "Dick" Blumenthal is obviously unaware that ANY customer that has a late Next Day, 2nd Day or 3 Day Select can request a guaranteed service refund for these packages. The refund is paid to the company or person that paid UPS the shipping charges. Call 1-800-PICK-UPS to request a guaranteed service refund. All air packages were guaranteed during peak but on some days the delivery committment was pushed back 90 minutes. Keep in mind, most of these refunds would be paid to the companies that shipped the packages (i.e. Amazon, Kohl's, etc.) and paid UPS the shipping charges not to the receiver of the shipment. Those companies would then, in turn, refund their customers.

"The wave of shipments was so large that a UPS spokeswoman said “the volume of air packages in our system exceeded the capacity in our network.” Customers who ordered shipments via air or internationally are entitled to refunds, spokeswoman Natalie Black said."

gman042

Been around the block a few times
ummm......correct me if I am wrong. In the past peak seasons....were or were not the guarantees lifted from shipments the week before Christmas? Even if there was a delivery date given there were no guarantees. UPS has traveled down this road before with guaranteed delivery dates before peak and surely they would not have rescinded to allow guarantees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
ummm......correct me if I am wrong. In the past peak seasons....were or were not the guarantees lifted from shipments the week before Christmas? Even if there was a delivery date given there were no guarantees. UPS has traveled down this road before with guaranteed delivery dates before peak and surely they would not have rescinded to allow guarantees.
That was changed 3 peaks ago except for Ground.
As worldwide stated, the premium services were backed up 90 minutes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sen. "Dick" Blumenthal is obviously unaware that ANY customer that has a late Next Day, 2nd Day or 3 Day Select can request a guaranteed service refund for these packages. The refund is paid to the company or person that paid UPS the shipping charges. Call 1-800-PICK-UPS to request a guaranteed service refund. All air packages were guaranteed during peak but on some days the delivery committment was pushed back 90 minutes. Keep in mind, most of these refunds would be paid to the companies that shipped the packages (i.e. Amazon, Kohl's, etc.) and paid UPS the shipping charges not to the receiver of the shipment. Those companies would then, in turn, refund their customers.

"The wave of shipments was so large that a UPS spokeswoman said “the volume of air packages in our system exceeded the capacity in our network.” Customers who ordered shipments via air or internationally are entitled to refunds, spokeswoman Natalie Black said."
Sen. "Dick" Blumenthal is obviously an ignorant dipstick.
Fixed it for ya.

texan

I don't think Cheryl allows Mods to quit semi-monthly! :devil3:
Funny and true.:laughing2:

I really commit that I will stop daily posting next year.

Might be like Stewie, and stop in occasionally.
No, not another mood swing or I am offended temper tantrum. :offtopic:

I just need to have other priorities in 2014, as UPS Retirement
looms, and I need some major habit / life changes next year.

Shalom
Texan

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
How bout the Good Senator dump the tax paid for secretary under his desk,increase benefits to our veterans , bring jobs back from China and Mexico, then we can work on a small problem we had at UPS !!!

RPSman

Ouch, Roadway didn't end up bankrupt because they started RPS. In the mid 90's, they were spun off as a stand alone company, with no debt. Yellow acquired Roadway, and tried to operate two separate companies instead of merging everything from the start. It is Yellow's fault that YRC is barely hanging on, not because Roadway started RPS. In the early 90's, Yellow contemplated starting a package delivery company, also; but decided against it. Conway has enough money to start or acquire regional package delivery companies such as Eastern Connection, US Cargo, SpeeDee, LSO, Transtek and OnTrac. We desperately need a 3rd package delivery option in the USA besides USPS.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Ouch, Roadway didn't end up bankrupt because they started RPS. In the mid 90's, they were spun off as a stand alone company, with no debt. Yellow acquired Roadway, and tried to operate two separate companies instead of merging everything from the start. It is Yellow's fault that YRC is barely hanging on, not because Roadway started RPS. In the early 90's, Yellow contemplated starting a package delivery company, also; but decided against it. Conway has enough money to start or acquire regional package delivery companies such as Eastern Connection, US Cargo, SpeeDee, LSO, Transtek and OnTrac. We desperately need a 3rd package delivery option in the USA besides USPS.
Conway, a former CF company, a former CNF company, a former Menlo Company, had a Air freight counterpart. Emery Worldwide, a former CF company, a former CNF company, changed name to Menlo Worldwide Forwarding which UPS purchased 12.18.2004.

Conway, a former CF company, a former CNF company, a former Menlo Company, had a Air freight counterpart. Emery Worldwide, a former CF company, a former CNF company, changed name to Menlo Worldwide Forwarding which UPS purchased 12.18.2004.

On the bright side we got you out of all that. :blushing2:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm thinking that one of our more erudite members (Hoaxster?) should type up a letter that we could all endorse and send it to the good Senator.

Democracy at its finest.:innocent:

RPSman

Fed Ex did not buy RPS from Roadway Services. Roadway Express was spun off as a stand alone company with no debt in like 95 or 96. Fed Ex bought Caliber Systems, the new holding company, in 97. After Roadway was spun off, we were renamed RPS (letters only) , got new uniforms, couldn't even use the name, Roadway Package System anymore.
Cachsux, we did not do a half ass job. We could get packages from Omaha, NE to south central MO next day; when UPS couldn't do it. Yes, I know all about Emery, they were mostly an air express company, I used them and Airborne Express in the 80's when I was a warehouseman, because I detested my Fed Ex courier.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Fed Ex did not buy RPS from Roadway Services. Roadway Express was spun off as a stand alone company with no debt in like 95 or 96. Fed Ex bought Caliber Systems, the new holding company, in 97. After Roadway was spun off, we were renamed RPS (letters only) , got new uniforms, couldn't even use the name, Roadway Package System anymore.
Cachsux, we did not do a half ass job. We could get packages from Omaha, NE to south central MO next day; when UPS couldn't do it. Yes, I know all about Emery, they were mostly an air express company, I used them and Airborne Express in the 80's when I was a warehouseman, because I detested my Fed Ex courier.
RPS ground service sucked big time.
You might have been able to get them from one city to the next city but getting them delivered to the final consumer consignee was an ugly picture.
UPS had many customers leave to try RPS and almost every one came back.
What RPS did well was big business to big business. Kicked UPS's butt in this area on transit and cost.
Otherwise ... sucko!

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Well, Thank you Senator Dick, if we could be as efficient at UPS as you and your fellow politicians have been these past few years we can only imagine what a Christmas it could have been to all the retail customers of UPS. That you could sit up there on your throne working so hard for 4 months a year, never paying for your healthcare, your meals or even your haircuts, knowing you will collect your full salary in retirement your criticism certainly falls on deaf ears. We (UPS) may not be perfect, but we do a great job, and have for over a hundred years.

I worked alongside an RPS guy on my route. Nice guy, hard worker. But what he delivered vs what I delivered was no comparison. It was he who let me in on the inside workings and like you said RPS could get stuff from point A-B in short order but once it got to the delivery drivers RPS fell on its face. He eventually left as he was getting screwed over by the route owner, a forerunner to the present FedEx situation.