Senior Managers Leaving...The Decline Continues

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Even the SMs are abandoning ship, and who can blame them? Instead of one location, they now get two, and increasingly, three stations to manage. Figure-in the poor quality of Ops Managers available, and the ever-decreasing capabilities of the DRA-era employee, and then consider DRA itself.

That translates to incredible stress, and a very high likelihood that you aren't going to make your numbers and/or your budget. So, in ever increasing numbers, seniors are either stepping-down or stepping-out. A well-run company would be hearing alarm bells and taking immediate action.

Not this place.

bbsam

Staff member
Even the SMs are abandoning ship, and who can blame them? Instead of one location, they now get two, and increasingly, three stations to manage. Figure-in the poor quality of Ops Managers available, and the ever-decreasing capabilities of the DRA-era employee, and then consider DRA itself.

That translates to incredible stress, and a very high likelihood that you aren't going to make your numbers and/or your budget. So, in ever increasing numbers, seniors are either stepping-down or stepping-out. A well-run company would be hearing alarm bells and taking immediate action.

Not this place.
How many have you seen leave and where do they go?

DRAisawesome

Seen multiple take different positions or leave. Have had very good relationships with mine. They said its ridiculous what the expectations are. Year over year increases of SPH along with declining freight. Not going to happen. It's simple math but upper mgmt doesn't want to hear it. Not one person in this company is connected at this point. Everyone is just CYA and go on.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Seen multiple take different positions or leave. Have had very good relationships with mine. They said its ridiculous what the expectations are. Year over year increases of SPH along with declining freight. Not going to happen. It's simple math but upper mgmt doesn't want to hear it. Not one person in this company is connected at this point. Everyone is just CYA and go on.
And how long do you think this'll go on before the whole thing collapses?

Not real long is my guess,

Sent using BrownCafe App

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you think Fred will let it?

Fred is clueless, as is Memphis as a whole. They sail merrily along, ignoring what is obvious to those of us in the field. Most are downgrading, but some have left for distribution-type jobs too. My point is that this trend is an ominous sign of the direction Express is heading. It isn't like the management talent pool was brimming already, so the "brain drain" is significant. As long as the stock is healthy...all is well aboard Titanic.

I predict that the trend will continue unabated.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Fred is clueless, as is Memphis. They sail merrily along, ignoring what is obvious to those of us in the field.

The more I think about it the more I wonder whether they are ignoring it or if they truly DON'T KNOW. It's obvious in the field because we see it and live it every day. We always pull together and make it happen. We also see the falsification of many things that Ops Mgrs do. We don't see the reports they pass up the line. Maybe, as far a Memphis knows, everything really is hunky dorey. It's kind of like the story, The Emperor Has No Clothes.

When the execs come to stations, they are pretty much insulated from us common folks. They are whisked in and out, no difficult questions asked. Think about it.

Still sucks for us either way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The more I think about it the more I wonder whether they are ignoring it or if they truly DON'T KNOW. It's obvious in the field because we see it and live it every day. We always pull together and make it happen. We also see the falsification of many things that Ops Mgrs do. We don't see the reports they pass up the line. Maybe, as far a Memphis knows, everything really is hunky dorey. It's kind of like the story, The Emperor Has No Clothes.

When the execs come to stations, they are pretty much insulated from us common folks. They are whisked in and out, no difficult questions asked. Think about it.

Still sucks for us either way.

Falsification is absolutely rampant, probably due to the need to "make numbers", with no regard to the truth. The departure of so many managers (both SM and OM) has to register somewhere on the Memphis radar. Maybe they just think the problem will magically disappear, or perhaps they want to jettison the high-earners and replace them with McDonald's clones who will take half the pay and all of the abuse.

My personal experience has been that making your numbers is enough to keep Memphis at-bay, even if most of the data is cooked or just invented. I love how they come down on us like a ton of bricks for the slightest indication of falsification, while entire series of management reports are pure fabrications.

FedExRookie

Playing devil's advocate: If they monitor these boards it means they take what is taken here seriously, they understand a good portion of employees are upset.

Now you are saying they are oblivious to everything going on, how so if you are always posting about it on here?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Playing devil's advocate: If they monitor these boards it means they take what is taken here seriously, they understand a good portion of employees are upset.

Now you are saying they are oblivious to everything going on, how so if you are always posting about it on here?

They monitor these boards, but I've never seen anything to indicate they are highly concerned or particularly aware. Sure, they have Dano assigned here, but I really doubt that any of the higher-ups read or act based on postings here.

Mr fedex . Your have always been forthcoming . To bad many people didn't see your light sooner . Better to be a teamster cool aid drinker than purple . Teamsters don't scare fedex anymore they will give all the work to ground if you unionized . Before it was here's a raise tell them to go away . Not anymore so sad . Uaw has Chrysler , gm, ford . I have to say fedex not being union has made r job at ups much much tougher .

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's a big part of the problem.

The upper managements visits are always scheduled in advance and never by chance. The station Sr. and the OPS managers are always ready for the Memphis elite with a prepared dog and pony show complete with a nearly spotless warehouse. They need to be caught by surprise with their pants down for a change.

!Retired!

Not this place.
Our SM, I think, has 3 stations. And they're not even close to each other. Maybe 150-200 miles apart.

If they do monitor this site, either they don't care or somethings not registering.
That's a big part of the problem.

The upper managements visits are always scheduled in advance and never by chance. The station Sr. and the OPS managers are always ready for the Memphis elite with a prepared dog and pony show complete with a nearly spotless warehouse. They need to be caught by surprise with their pants down for a change.
I always wondered...why not show up unexpected? Catching the station off guard would be the only way to see things the way they really are.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I always wondered...why not show up unexpected? Catching the station off guard would be the only way to see things the way they really are.
because they don't actually WANT to see how things really are. That would just toss a wrench into the whole works and then they'd feel like they actually had to DO something about it.

And we certainly couldn't have that.