Shippers bailing yet?

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
Sooner or later shippers are gonna start thinking about leaving ups..You gotta figure by the end of the month blood will be in the water and the reps from other couriers will be circling, good for us bad for ups..
Which of the shippers will drop us first?

Returntosender

8580145250_5513599f81.jpg

beentheredonethat

I think it is kind of ironic how you phrase that. So this is good for a non union carrier like FDX that is very very anti union. Yet, you admit what is going on will help them. So it sounds like you are in favor of anti union companies.. Very interesting.

I hope the majority of people here on the boards realize that what is bad for UPS is also bad for Upser's. It doesn't have to be a win\lose.
FDX does a pretty darn good job and thier rates are low. When customers leave due to this, they won't necessarily come right back to us.

I'm guessing you are either a younger Upser who doesn't have a clue, or an old time with enough seriority it won't impact you if we do lose a lot of business.

(In 97 UPS was caught off guard on the strike). I don't see that happening this time. If their is a strike, I see UPS working to break the union and lower cost substantially. We will come out of this a smaller company but with a lot less overhead costs and be able to be profitable.

Again, ask a financial advisor.. Ask him if teamsters do strike, like in 97 and are out for a few weeks. What would be better for UPS, resolve in 2 weeks and give the teamsters what they want in contract, or stay out and break the union and reduce costs. Obviously first preference woudl be no strike and to lower overhead, like what UPS is doing. Second option is to break union.

Personally, I DO NOT want to see that happen.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I think it is kind of ironic how you phrase that. So this is good for a non union carrier like FDX that is very very anti union. Yet, you admit what is going on will help them. So it sounds like you are in favor of anti union companies.. Very interesting.

I hope the majority of people here on the boards realize that what is bad for UPS is also bad for Upser's. It doesn't have to be a win\lose.
FDX does a pretty darn good job and thier rates are low. When customers leave due to this, they won't necessarily come right back to us.

I'm guessing you are either a younger Upser who doesn't have a clue, or an old time with enough seriority it won't impact you if we do lose a lot of business.

(In 97 UPS was caught off guard on the strike). I don't see that happening this time. If their is a strike, I see UPS working to break the union and lower cost substantially. We will come out of this a smaller company but with a lot less overhead costs and be able to be profitable.

Again, ask a financial advisor.. Ask him if teamsters do strike, like in 97 and are out for a few weeks. What would be better for UPS, resolve in 2 weeks and give the teamsters what they want in contract, or stay out and break the union and reduce costs. Obviously first preference woudl be no strike and to lower overhead, like what UPS is doing. Second option is to break union.

Able to be profitable? You mean that they are not profitable now?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

What would a personal financial advisor know about running a business and weather or not its better to break the union or not.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Your union will also be "broken" if you accept the healthcare proposal.

It will be looked on as a paper tiger going forward.

beentheredonethat

If that is true, then every union employee who pays a portion of their healthcare is also in a union that is a paper tiger. Wouldn't that be the vast majority of the unions? Doesn't the current teamsters working for UPS Freight pay for a part of HW? Does that mean they already are paper tigers?

beentheredonethat

Able to be profitable? You mean that they are not profitable now?
IF UPS goes on strike and we lose more volume to FDX we would be less profitable due to losing density which helps us with profitability. If we compound that by being 100% responsible for healthcare costs that are rising at an incredible rate, those two things combined will seriously hamper the ability for UPS to be profitable. Yes we are profitable now.. But if we go on strike and give in to all concessions, I think we will lose a lot of profitability. The only way to counter that (IMO) if we go on strike is to seriously reduce cost to remain profitable. The way to reduce cost would be to break the union. Again.. I DO NOT want to see that happen. I want to see UPS stay very competitive, I want to see our employees enjoye the highest wage rate in the industry. However, we can't be so much higher in total costs that we lose our competitive edge.

thedownhillEXPRESS

If that is true, then every union employee who pays a portion of their healthcare is also in a union that is a paper tiger. Wouldn't that be the vast majority of the unions? Doesn't the current teamsters working for UPS Freight pay for a part of HW? Does that mean they already are paper tigers?

Depends where they negotiated from.

UPS made 4 billion last year, if you give in under those conditions then yes....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Did they make 1billion a quarter last year?

That's the point. We can't give concessions when the company is doing better than they ever have or we lose all credibility moving forward.

beentheredonethat

Often I hear "A fair day's work for a fair day's pay"... and I agree with that to a large extent. What I don't understand is it seems your definition of fair is based on what they company makes in profit, vs it being based on what you did for work for the company. So is it a fair day's pay for a fair day's work? You can't use that line when it benefits you and ignore it when it doesn't benefit you.

Griff

Often I hear "A fair day's work for a fair day's pay"... and I agree with that to a large extent. What I don't understand is it seems your definition of fair is based on what they company makes in profit, vs it being based on what you did for work for the company. So is it a fair day's pay for a fair day's work? You can't use that line when it benefits you and ignore it when it doesn't benefit you.

Fair day's work isn't what it was in 1990, 2000 or even 2008.

You clearly have no idea about the jobs in which you speak of. That sparks an idea, maybe you can be next in line for the CEO spot after Scott Davis retires with his golden parachute in Del Mar.

rudy5150

Brothers and sisters why dont we just start following all work methods and safety now till july 31st. Remember safety comes 1st!

yeldarb

Ups is a cash cow. There is no reason why every employee should not be benefiting. Management, hourlies, retirees. Concessions are only benefiting the 1%.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Sooner or later shippers are gonna start thinking about leaving ups..You gotta figure by the end of the month blood will be in the water and the reps from other couriers will be circling, good for us bad for ups..
Which of the shippers will drop us first?

Feeder News Network (FNN) claims Amazon wants to see a deal done by the end of the month and may jump ship if there isn't a handshake agreement in place. But that's all rumor and conjecture at this point.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
the amazon rumor has made it to the left coast too. those of you who were around in 97 will remember as the contract moved closer to its end the uncertainty of customers and how many reps from competitors began to show up at pick up locations. i do hope a handshake agreement happens soon. but its like we have said before "save your money"

brown_trousers

If it is by our "fairs day work" that record profits are produced then the "fair days pay" would be reflected in increased pay and benefits... not the other way around.

But thats only if you buy into the old motto. I dont

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Feeder News Network (FNN) claims Amazon wants to see a deal done by the end of the month and may jump ship if there isn't a handshake agreement in place. But that's all rumor and conjecture at this point.

Is Amazon that big that it can influence labor negotiations between the largest labor union and package delivery company?