Shooting at fed ex building

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. But those good guys cost money and Fedex has chosen not to employ them in most of their locations leaving their employees vulnerable to just this kind of incident. I guess they did a cost/benefit analysis and decided to protect the shareholders instead of the employees. Hopefully Fedex will address this lack of security.
Fred will just declare this some isolated incident and still expect handlers to be security officers too. He's too cheap to do anything else.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Express is technically an airline, so lots of TSA and other policies apply. Probably not so at Ground. Still, why was it so easy to enter the building?
He had a big gun. I worked at a FedEx ramp. The security guards they had there would be no match for anyone walking in the door with a gun intent on shooting people.

Stat41

He had a big gun. I worked at a FedEx ramp. The security guards they had there would be no match for anyone walking in the door with a gun intent on shooting people.
At least the security guards would have access to ummm. I don't know, a PHONE perhaps. I hear those things come in handy in an emergency. Sometimes you dont have to be a match, just a deterrent.

McFeely

Huge Member
I’ve always laughed at the security policy (at my station anyway) to challenge anyone trying to get in our gate or into the warehouse part of our building.

Hell, the police officer that was killed at the Boulder, CO grocery store last month was armed and trained in these kinds of situations. What’s an unarmed courier or handler gonna do?

vantexan

I’ve always laughed at the security policy (at my station anyway) to challenge anyone trying to get in our gate or into the warehouse part of our building.

Hell, the police officer that was killed at the Boulder, CO grocery store last month was armed and trained in these kinds of situations. What’s an unarmed courier or handler gonna do?
Was leaving the station one morning when a car zoomed through the gate right in front of me. I backed up to where he parked and asked him who he was and why he came through our gate so fast. Turned out he was our region's corporate security officer. Started critiquing how I handled the situation. Said I was too gruff. I told him anyone driving like that and delaying me getting on road was going to be talked to in a gruff voice. He then asked for my name but I never heard anything else. I decided right then I would just go to the mgr.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Was leaving the station one morning when a car zoomed through the gate right in front of me. I backed up to where he parked and asked him who he was and why he came through our gate so fast. Turned out he was our region's corporate security officer. Started critiquing how I handled the situation. Said I was too gruff. I told him anyone driving like that and delaying me getting on road was going to be talked to in a gruff voice. He then asked for my name but I never heard anything else. I decided right then I would just go to the mgr.
Only back when necessary

dezguy

Exactly. Here, let me go up to this person I don't know, who could have a knife, a gun or a bomb. The company says I have to. I enjoy getting stabbed, shot or blown up.

Nah, I'll find a phone and call a manager and stay a nice distance away.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Exactly. Here, let me go up to this person I don't know, who could have a knife, a gun or a bomb. The company says I have to. I enjoy getting stabbed, shot or blown up.

Nah, I'll find a phone and call a manager and stay a nice distance away.
My thoughts exactly. We have no fence around our building because the SM doesn’t want to cough up the money. Our warehouse doors are open more than they’re closed. If our building security isn’t important to FedEx, why should I put my life on the line? I’ll do like you and call a manager.

oldngray

nowhere special
My thoughts exactly. We have no fence around our building because the SM doesn’t want to cough up the money. Our warehouse doors are open more than they’re closed. If our building security isn’t important to FedEx, why should I put my life on the line? I’ll do like you and call a manager.
the news said he never got past security so I guess he was in the parking lot

NC man

We have fence and use code for the gate and doors but those garage doors are open a lot and they have to be in summer or you die from the heat,no ac in sort area of course.you can climb the chain link fence ,no barbed wire.if anyone wanted to bring a gun to work they can. If they decided to check everybody coming in to bldg that would take forever.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm amazed something like this hasn't happened lately at UPS. Sounds like a lot of loose cannons running around there also.

MassWineGuy

It’s not too tough for anyone to enter my station. Especially during sorts. I’ll bet that security is ample at HQ in Collierville.