Short Term Disability // Long Term Disability

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
46 yr old, 13 Year FT Pkg Drvr, I had Knee/Back/Foot surgury - (ALL Work Comp) during my tenure, now currently no longer able to do the job, STD due to Run out, currently in the process of filing for LTD. Any and ALL advice / insight/ expectations are greatly appreciated. No need to Copy/Post the LTD outline, I have viewed it already on someone elses thread. I just wana know what the "Expect the Unexpected" circumstances I should prepare for, since becoming disabled by my job.

I want to go back to work within my restrictions per my Doctor, Will they Accomodate me ? Is there a chance ?
At what point can I withdrawl 100 % of my 401K ?
If Approved for LTD, is my medical coverage the same ? Is there any out of pocket cost for coverage ? Am I only covered for up to 1 year ?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not know the answers, and the only one who would is someone locally as our coverage is different everywhere. Best to you.

DS

Fenderbender
46 yr old, 13 Year FT Pkg Drvr, I had Knee/Back/Foot surgury - (ALL Work Comp) during my tenure, now currently no longer able to do the job, STD due to Run out, currently in the process of filing for LTD. Any and ALL advice / insight/ expectations are greatly appreciated. No need to Copy/Post the LTD outline, I have viewed it already on someone elses thread. I just wana know what the "Expect the Unexpected" circumstances I should prepare for, since becoming disabled by my job.

I want to go back to work within my restrictions per my Doctor, Will they Accomodate me ? Is there a chance ?
If Approved for LTD, is my medical coverage the same ? Is there any out of pocket cost for coverage ? Am I only covered for up to 1 year ?
Every hub,,every center ,every State has it's own rules.
Asking here is like asking an on car a relevant question.You will get a different answer every time.
Take the time to talk to HR in your own building.
Good luck and I hope you get good answers.

Johney

I know they won't accommodate you with any restrictions. Are you unable to do the job because of your work related injuries? If so I would contact a comp lawyer in your area asap.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I feel for you. I just went through a surgery I wouldn't wish on anyone just to get those restrictions lifted. Still not sure if I made the right choice, but I know what my options were if I didn't. They will fight you tooth and nail on accommodations. I can be done, but it is a very hard fight. Good luck to you.

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
I know ya'll have heard this b4, but if it wasn't for "bad luck", I'd have "no luck" at all....... I returned back to work after my most recent WC isssue, I lasted about a month b4 I just couldn't take the pain any longer. The most recent WC injury was not the main issue for my no longer being able to continue working, however a culmination of previous WC issues and wear and tear from the job throughout the years. I just couldn't take it any longer without illeagally driving while medicated on pain relievers. Not willing to jepordise myself or others while on the job, my Ortho Dr. issued restrictions preventing me from doing the job. I filed FMLA/STD and most recently have filed for LTD. In a nut shell, I have Ostioarthritis, L. Foot/L. Knee and a buldging Lwr Lumbar disk. I have had Planter Fashia Surgury - Dog Attack,...... C 6,7 Fusion when I slipped on snow ice stepping up into my truck (3 pts of contact)....Patella Rupture Repair, - NO non slip strips on steps when exiting truck with 3 pts of contact, I slipped, my knee went into a 90* Edge (of the trucks stair well) severing the patella that keeps ur knee cap in place. Keep in mind, after each injury, and subsequent Physical Therapy, I returned back to work. Throughout my career at UPS, I have been proud to say, "I drive for UPS", however, I'm not proud of the way I have been harrassed by Mngmnt. I have savored the personal satisfaction of making over 360 delivery stops, delivering nearly 600 pkg's at the height of peak with a helper.....the amazing part of which, when I first inherited my route, was that my heaviest day on THE SAME ROUTE, never exceeded 240 delivery stops, with a helper !!!!! lmao !...I'm putting this all out there to serve as a reminder, you can work the methods and safe working habits to the best of ur ability, stay under mngmnts. radar and endure their harrasment, work harder than you have ever worked in your entire life and only HOPE, you survive ! I have, and will continue to TRY, to do so....I'm in search of MY path to the future, be that as it may, I thank you all for your concern, comments, and well wishes. Any additional helpful comments, advice are always welcome. Be Well Fellow UPSers !!!...and THANKS !

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
I feel for you. I just went through a surgery I wouldn't wish on anyone just to get those restrictions lifted. Still not sure if I made the right choice, but I know what my options were if I didn't. They will fight you tooth and nail on accommodations. I can be done, but it is a very hard fight. Good luck to you.

Again, I'm Sorry, was not intentional.....!!!...more like inadvertant !!!....I did "LIKE" ur post tho !!!! = )

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr

I know ya'll have heard this b4, but if it wasn't for "bad luck", I'd have "no luck" at all....... I returned back to work after my most recent WC isssue, I lasted about a month b4 I just couldn't take the pain any longer. The most recent WC injury was not the main issue for my no longer being able to continue working, however a culmination of previous WC issues and wear and tear from the job throughout the years. I just couldn't take it any longer without illeagally driving while medicated on pain relievers. Not willing to jepordise myself or others while on the job, my Ortho Dr. issued restrictions preventing me from doing the job. I filed FMLA/STD and most recently have filed for LTD. In a nut shell, I have Ostioarthritis, L. Foot/L. Knee and a buldging Lwr Lumbar disk. I have had Planter Fashia Surgury - Dog Attack,...... C 6,7 Fusion when I slipped on snow ice stepping up into my truck (3 pts of contact)....Patella Rupture Repair, - NO non slip strips on steps when exiting truck with 3 pts of contact, I slipped, my knee went into a 90* Edge (of the trucks stair well) severing the patella that keeps ur knee cap in place. Keep in mind, after each injury, and subsequent Physical Therapy, I returned back to work. Throughout my career at UPS, I have been proud to say, "I drive for UPS", however, I'm not proud of the way I have been harrassed by Mngmnt. I have savored the personal satisfaction of making over 360 delivery stops, delivering nearly 600 pkg's at the height of peak with a helper.....the amazing part of which, when I first inherited my route, was that my heaviest day on THE SAME ROUTE, never exceeded 240 delivery stops, with a helper !!!!! lmao !...I'm putting this all out there to serve as a reminder, you can work the methods and safe working habits to the best of ur ability, stay under mngmnts. radar and endure their harrasment, work harder than you have ever worked in your entire life and only HOPE, you survive ! I have, and will continue to TRY, to do so....I'm in search of MY path to the future, be that as it may, I thank you all for your concern, comments, and well wishes. Any additional helpful comments, advice are always welcome. Be Well Fellow UPSers !!!...and THANKS !

JonFrum

You still haven't explained why your Workers Comp injury/injuries are being covered under STD, (and soon by LTD), instead of by Workers Comp. They're two different paths.

You've read Contract Articles 14, 16, and 20 right? And your H & W plan's Summary Plan Description?

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
You still haven't explained why your Workers Comp injury/injuries are being covered under STD, (and soon by LTD), instead of by Workers Comp. They're two different paths.

You've read Contract Articles 14, 16, and 20 right? And your H & W plan's Summary Plan Description?

Actually, I did,.... "a culmination of previous WC issues and wear and tear from the job throughout the years" .....My WC injuries have accruled throughout my 13 yrs of service along with wear and tear from the job. My most recent WC injury for Planter Faciitits healed properly and is no longer an issue, however, subsequent foot problems developed from the lenght of time not working, specifically, Ositoarthritis. Within 2 weeks of returning to work, my foot would cramp upon flection and my ankle hurt. My Dr. said these issues are unrelateable and wouldnt be covered by WC. As for my knee, an annual cortizone shot turned to biannual, and now every 3 months. What that means is the shots no longer work, and have stopped. A little history on my knee, I blew the ACL playing football prior to working at UPS, and had ACL Reconstruction. 3 years into my service at UPS (2001) I severed the Patella (WC), and my Dr. gave me 5 years of continuing to be able to do the job, well, I obviously lasted longer than predicted. I have not read any contract articles because i'm unaware there is anything in the contract that could/would help me. Wouldn't my Union business manager tell me if I did have any recourse ???? IF so, he hasn't. He did however suggest I submit a letter to UPS requesting work within the limitations set by my Doctor in hopes of continuing my employment at UPS. Essentially, I'm inquiring if there is anything more I could/should be doing. I didn't anticipate the culmination of these injuries and continued wear and tear would incapasitate me, I have always healed and toughed it out, its part of the job.....until now.

FBCA

Actually, I did,.... "a culmination of previous WC issues and wear and tear from the job throughout the years" .....My WC injuries have accruled throughout my 13 yrs of service along with wear and tear from the job. My most recent WC injury for Planter Faciitits healed properly and is no longer an issue, however, subsequent foot problems developed from the lenght of time not working, specifically, Ositoarthritis. Within 2 weeks of returning to work, my foot would cramp upon flection and my ankle hurt. My Dr. said these issues are unrelateable and wouldnt be covered by WC. As for my knee, an annual cortizone shot turned to biannual, and now every 3 months. What that means is the shots no longer work, and have stopped. A little history on my knee, I blew the ACL playing football prior to working at UPS, and had ACL Reconstruction. 3 years into my service at UPS (2001) I severed the Patella (WC), and my Dr. gave me 5 years of continuing to be able to do the job, well, I obviously lasted longer than predicted. I have not read any contract articles because i'm unaware there is anything in the contract that could/would help me. Wouldn't my Union business manager tell me if I did have any recourse ???? IF so, he hasn't. He did however suggest I submit a letter to UPS requesting work within the limitations set by my Doctor in hopes of continuing my employment at UPS. Essentially, I'm inquiring if there is anything more I could/should be doing. I didn't anticipate the culmination of these injuries and continued wear and tear would incapasitate me, I have always healed and toughed it out, its part of the job.....until now.

I'm kind of going through that here in california. You can get disability short term,long term on physical stuff is tough you may get five at the most. Mine is mental so it's a little different
the only thing I can say is you are going to see just how much you don't really mean to UPS they will replace you and that's that.

bocoloci

Termd3xMKEdrvr
I'm kind of going through that here in california. You can get disability short term,long term on physical stuff is tough you may get five at the most. Mine is mental so it's a little different
the only thing I can say is you are going to see just how much you don't really mean to UPS they will replace you and that's that.

.....aint that the truth, used, abused and now tossed aside like a bag of trash. I suffered panic attacks throughout my tenure at UPS on the job, and still do to this day. I sought help, and it helped to some degree by talking to a therapist. Although no medication was prescribed for my mental issues, I drank heavily, 4-6 Heinekens nightly to calm down and ease the discompfort of foot, knee and back pain. I also took Ibu's daily to mask the physical pain while at work and prescription drugs at night when I got home, when needed for the really bad days. I've now traded the every day stress of the job for the every day stress of, how to survive paying a mortgage, utilities, med bills...ect.....the circle of life. I've thought about ending it all, however I enjoy life to much and will strive to persevere, I've fought to get this far in my life, so I'll keep on fighting....... Road blocks, Red Tape, Politics ect ect ect....hurry up and wait...I have applied for LTD, but since Aetna the LTD Insurer for UPS isnt satisfied with ALL the DOCUMENTATION submitted by my doctor, they have requested more SPECIFIC info in regards to my physical abilities. I will be "checkless" since my STD has now run out. We've put all non essential bills on the back burner, mostly medical bills, since I'll be dropped by the end of the month. Yes, my health benies will run out at the end of Feb. and we'll be picking up health benies from my wifes employer untill I am approved for LTD. We're hoping to get back $$$$ from Tax's and will know shortly, otherwise, the preverbial ****s gona hit the fan. I have 52 K in my 401 K, but trying to obtain any of those funds to survive, is like breaking into Fort Knox. Down but not out, I share this with yall in hopes you'll be better prepared than I have been, god forbid this should happen to any of ya'll. There are less fortunate people out there surviving, so if they can do it, we can sure as heck to !!!!

Zeptar

Safety Compliance Sup
Have you tried talking to UPS occupational nurse? The nurse should be able to answer most of your questions.

UPSGUY72

You may be able to do a hardship withdrawal from your 401k.

A hardship withdrawal is not like a plan loan. The withdrawal may be difficult to get, and costly if you receive it. Remember, your 401k is meant to provide retirement income. It should be a last-resort source of cash for expenses before then.
Knowing that workers would resist putting aside money for decades with no chance to access it, Congress made provisions in the 401k rules to allow plan withdrawals in a limited number of hardship situations. These include:

• [*=left]Un-reimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, or dependents.
    [*=left]Purchase of an employee's principal residence.
    [*=left]Payment of college tuition and related educational costs such as room and board for the next 12 months for you, your spouse, dependents, or children who are no longer dependents.
    [*=left]Payments necessary to prevent eviction of you from your home, or foreclosure on the mortgage of your principal residence.
    [*=left]For funeral expenses.
    [*=left]Certain expenses for the repair of damage to the employee's principal residence.
But to discourage these early hardship withdrawals, in most all cases the IRS imposes a hefty financial penalty including a 10 percent early withdrawal penalty if you are younger than 59 1/2.
You may qualify to take a penalty-free withdrawal if you meet one of the following exceptions:

• [*=left]You become totally disabled.
    [*=left]You are in debt for medical expenses that exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income.
    [*=left]You are required by court order to give the money to your divorced spouse, a child, or a dependent.
    [*=left]You are separated from service (through permanent layoff, termination, quitting or taking early retirement) in the year you turn 55, or later.
    [*=left]You are separated from service and you have set-up a payment schedule to withdraw money in substantially equal amounts over the course of your life expectancy. (Once you begin taking this kind of distribution you are required to continue for five years or until you reach age 59 1/2, whichever is longer.)
Employers are not required to offer any type of hardship withdrawal, so you should check with your employer to see if it is available to you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A hardship withdrawal is not like a plan loan. The withdrawal may be difficult to get, and costly if you receive it. Remember, your 401k is meant to provide retirement income. It should be a last-resort source of cash for expenses before then.
Knowing that workers would resist putting aside money for decades with no chance to access it, Congress made provisions in the 401k rules to allow plan withdrawals in a limited number of hardship situations. These include:

• [*=left]Un-reimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, or dependents.
    [*=left]Purchase of an employee's principal residence.
    [*=left]Payment of college tuition and related educational costs such as room and board for the next 12 months for you, your spouse, dependents, or children who are no longer dependents.
    [*=left]Payments necessary to prevent eviction of you from your home, or foreclosure on the mortgage of your principal residence.
    [*=left]For funeral expenses.
    [*=left]Certain expenses for the repair of damage to the employee's principal residence.
But to discourage these early hardship withdrawals, in most all cases the IRS imposes a hefty financial penalty including a 10 percent early withdrawal penalty if you are younger than 59 1/2.
You may qualify to take a penalty-free withdrawal if you meet one of the following exceptions:

• [*=left]You become totally disabled.
    [*=left]You are in debt for medical expenses that exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income.
    [*=left]You are required by court order to give the money to your divorced spouse, a child, or a dependent.
    [*=left]You are separated from service (through permanent layoff, termination, quitting or taking early retirement) in the year you turn 55, or later.
    [*=left]You are separated from service and you have set-up a payment schedule to withdraw money in substantially equal amounts over the course of your life expectancy. (Once you begin taking this kind of distribution you are required to continue for five years or until you reach age 59 1/2, whichever is longer.)
Employers are not required to offer any type of hardship withdrawal, so you should check with your employer to see if it is available to you.

I agree with your general advice here but the belief that you cannot withdraw from your 401k before age 59 1/2 is not correct.
You can begin to withdraw at 52 or any point up to 59 1/2. However, you must set up a payment plan in advance for the intervening period. The payments must be monthly and equal and must be set up for life.

See this for all the exceptions: 401k Penalty Free withdrawal before age 59 1/2