Short term disability

Sunnyafternoon1

I am a driver in the Central States Union area. I injured my back outside of work and have been on short term disability for six months. My back is broken badly. I will never be able to lift over 30 pounds ever again not be able to sit and drive for more than 30 minutes at a time. I am one month shy of early retirement or five years shy of 20 year retirement. The doctor can return me to work with permanent work restrictions. Will UPS give me light duty when I return or send me back to short term disability? Would they accommodate me for five years to make regular retirement? My center manager basically told me that he wouldn’t allow it. Who has seen this with someone else before? I’ve called my union several times for guidance and no one from the Teamsters bothers to call me back.

I am a driver in the Central States Union area. I injured my back outside of work and have been on short term disability for six months. My back is broken badly. I will never be able to lift over 30 pounds ever again not be able to sit and drive for more than 30 minutes at a time. I am one month shy of early retirement or five years shy of 20 year retirement. The doctor can return me to work with permanent work restrictions. Will UPS give me light duty when I return or send me back to short term disability? Would they accommodate me for five years to make regular retirement? My center manager basically told me that he wouldn’t allow it. Who has seen this with someone else before? I’ve called my union several times for guidance and no one from the Teamsters bothers to call me back.
Get a lawyer

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You need to apply for an ADA accommodation if you want to continue to work at UPS. That being said, they are nearly impossible to get. You are not guaranteed your same position or pay with the ADA accommodation. Sorry to hear you are in this bad of shape. How did you get injured? @BigUnionGuy has more knowledge of ADA accommodations, he can help more if I missed anything.

quad decade guy

What is "early retirement"? By your words, you have 14 years 11 months? You could draw at 15 years?

On the flip side, I have seen some seriously disabled folks at my building. Seriously, physically challenged.

Luck.

Box Handler of Dallas

I'm living proof that you can get an ADA accommodation for non UPS injury. Was a primary sorter for less than a year when my cardiologist advised to avoid lifting, pulling, dragging more than 50 pounds. Asked about moving to small sort, told I couldn't work until I submitted ADA paperwork and it was approved. Took 3 months to get approved due to our hard working(cough cough) HR people sitting on it. Eventually, the HR mgr, occupational health, safety mgr, and union signed off on it. It can be done. Your doctor has to be very specific on what you can/can't do.

Sunnyafternoon1

I'm living proof that you can get an ADA accommodation for non UPS injury. Was a primary sorter for less than a year when my cardiologist advised to avoid lifting, pulling, dragging more than 50 pounds. Asked about moving to small sort, told I couldn't work until I submitted ADA paperwork and it was approved. Took 3 months to get approved due to our hard working(cough cough) HR people sitting on it. Eventually, the HR mgr, occupational health, safety mgr, and union signed off on it. It can be done. Your doctor has to be very specific on what you can/can't do.
Thank you for your answer. I’ll get the ADA form and get on it.

Indecisi0n

Yes. We have a retirement option at 15 years
Couldn’t you submit the paperwork and drag it all out. Even if they denied it by the time everything was over it would be past a month then you could just say to the company “ok I’m done just retire me as of today.”
I would think at that point they would just be glad to get rid of you.

ManInBrown

I have a question for anyone that might know. I was on STD a few years ago For out of work injury. So after about 5 months the person at the hartford that I dealt with told me my benefits were exhausted if I didn’t return to work by such and such date. It would’ve been the six month mark. So I believe you apply for long term. My question is how is the STD benefits eligibility calculated? Let’s say a month after I return to work I had to go back on STD for something else or the same injury. Is it an hours worked per year that makes you eligible for 6 months of benefits? Or let’s say I went back, reinjured same body part and needed surgery. Could I then go right back on StD?