Should I be allowing UPS Secuity Guards to open all my belongings?

some1else

Banned
I have no problem with being searched (reasonably) on entrance or exit. I do have an objection to the 10seconds x twice a day x 250 a year x 25 years = 35 hours minimum but the delay is often more than 10 seconds... Id say it would be more like 40-50 hours over 25years in being detained while on personal time (other buildings vary as noted already).

Thats skipping 40 lunch breaks!

Where is pretzel man we need him to reprogam diad to add 21 seconds after punchout. 20seconds for being groaped/felt up by guard and 1 second to shove diad in slot. Im not even kidding its petty on the companies fault for not doing so

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no problem with being searched (reasonably) on entrance or exit. I do have an objection to the 10seconds x twice a day x 250 a year x 25 years = 35 hours minimum but the delay is often more than 10 seconds... Id say it would be more like 40-50 hours over 25years in being detained while on personal time (other buildings vary as noted already).

Thats skipping 40 lunch breaks!

Where is pretzel man we need him to reprogam diad to add 21 seconds after punchout. 20seconds for being groaped/felt up by guard and 1 second to shove diad in slot. Im not even kidding its petty on the companies fault for not doing so

I think it's petty on your part to bring this up.

some1else

Banned
So its petty for me to complain a company that make 100s of millions in profits is shortchanging me 21seconds of contractually obligated pay each day? Youve had way to much of their brown kolaid upstate.

abc123

So its petty for me to complain a company that make 100s of millions in profits is shortchanging me 21seconds of contractually obligated pay each day? Youve had way to much of their brown kolaid upstate.

Just wondering, but where does it say you get paid while going through the guard shack?

over9five

Staff member
Just wondering, but where does it say you get paid while going through the guard shack?

Article 17. We get paid for "all time spent in service of the employer". If it is required by the employer to be searched going into or out of a building, we should be compensated for it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
So what would be the solution? Install DIAD racks and time clocks outside of the guard shack?? A lot of this sounds petty to me. I have a locker in my locker room, and a supply box in my package car to store personal items. I don't understand why some people have to tote a backpack into work every morning. Some of them look like they are going on an overnight trip or something. I have a sticker on my cellphone and I carry my lunchbox through the gate, no big deal. If we didn't have thieves stealing stuff and other people just looking the other way, the searches wouldn't exist. I very seldom have a guard ask me to open my lunchbox, its their job and it doesn't bother me one bit when they do.

some1else

Banned
Solution is to add an allowance to punch out time. But 21 seconds is not enough. As 9five said we are not really being released from service until we clear the checkpoint... Walk from diad slot to guard booth and clearing it is more like 2minutes (wont count am because they dont check drivers on way in) 2minutes x 250days a year x 25 years. = 210 hours... Seems like 2 minutes is fair. Like i said i have zero problems with a reasonable search but i can not see how i should be subjected to one on personal time. Everytime this comes up i get all upset about it for a few weeks. Try not to start threads on it.

On some routes in our center there is 30-45 minutes of security delays (secure buildings, airport gates etc). Shouldthat time be deducted from the drivers pay as well because "i we didnt have terrorist blowing things up these searches wouldnt exist"? Are you serious scratch its called a cost of business scratch ups needs to pay for it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Solution is to add an allowance to punch out time. But 21 seconds is not enough. As 9five said we are not really being released from service until we clear the checkpoint... Walk from diad slot to guard booth and clearing it is more like 2minutes (wont count am because they dont check drivers on way in) 2minutes x 250days a year x 25 years. = 210 hours... Seems like 2 minutes is fair. Like i said i have zero problems with a reasonable search but i can not see how i should be subjected to one on personal time. Everytime this comes up i get all upset about it for a few weeks. Try not to start threads on it.

On some routes in our center there is 30-45 minutes of security delays (secure buildings, airport gates etc). Shouldthat time be deducted from the drivers pay as well because "i we didnt have terrorist blowing things up these searches wouldnt exist"? Are you serious scratch its called a cost of business scratch ups needs to pay for it.

This thread is a bit goofy in my opinion but if this was grieved and it was upheld, then the obvious solution is that the employees would not be able to bring in anything but their ID and items required to do their job through the gate. Is that what you want to happen?

I know you are just blowing off steam but think through the consequences of your actions.

some1else

Banned
Non sequitor even i i leave with only my ups id and drivers liscence and dot card (only 3 items required for me) i still have the metal detector want scanning my entire body. I personally only carry my keys wallet and cell phone but am still searched daily.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We get paid $30.01 an hour and some people want to be paid to walk from their car to the time clock?? I have never been paid for that and can't think of anybody who has. Cost of UPS doing business??? Ridiculous. I deliver to an area where most people are airline and military employees, they go through more security than we do and they do it for a lot less. I don't have to stand in a line to be wanded, it takes just a second if the guard wants me to unzip my lunchbox so he can glance into it.

22.34life

i think that it would not be unreasonable for ups to put in a punch clock outside the guardshack and you would get punched in and out entering and exiting the guardshack.i mean if we are being made to comply with ups policy it should be on the clock.it would also solve the problem of people not complying with the guards,if you are on the clock then you could be diciplined for not complying with the guards.

rod

Retired 22 years
i think that it would not be unreasonable for ups to put in a punch clock outside the guardshack and you would get punched in and out entering and exiting the guardshack.i mean if we are being made to comply with ups policy it should be on the clock.it would also solve the problem of people not complying with the guards,if you are on the clock then you could be diciplined for not complying with the guards.

So how would that work for the idiots that come in a half hour early to go through their loads off the clock? UPS is certainly not going to give up that free labor.

some1else

Banned
Scratch no one is asking to be paid to walk to our car. As per our contract we should be paid until released from service. If our last task is pm paperwork and punching out fine. If our last task is being delayed at the guardshack to be searched that is when we should have our punchout time. If you dont think its reasonable why dont you propose removig that language (that ups agreed to) from the contract? Replace it with "as long as scratch thinks its not much of a bother dont bother paying for time"

rod

Retired 22 years
Scratch no one is asking to be paid to walk to our car. As per our contract we should be paid until released from service. If our last task is pm paperwork and punching out fine. If our last task is being delayed at the guardshack to be searched that is when we should have our punchout time. If you dont think its reasonable why dont you propose removig that language (that ups agreed to) from the contract? Replace it with "as long as scratch thinks its not much of a bother dont bother paying for time"

So now you want UPS to time study you walking from the building to the guard shack at night? Don't you already get enough of that crap.:happy2:

brown_trousers

So now you want UPS to time study you walking from the building to the guard shack at night? Don't you already get enough of that crap.:happy2:

ya know... It should be UPS's responsibility to provide a large enough guard shack with enough security employees that we can get through in a timely manner. If they refuse to provide that, causing delays at the guard shack, they should then be liable to pay us for that time

over9five

Staff member
ya know... It should be UPS's responsibility to provide a large enough guard shack with enough security employees that we can get through in a timely manner. If they refuse to provide that, causing delays at the guard shack, they should then be liable to pay us for that time

Exactly. I have no problem with a quick wanding as I walk out.

HOWEVER, it really pisses me off when I have to wait in line 10 minutes after a 14 hour day to get out the door.

I will add that it is very rare we have to wait...

We have large shacks at the CACH and still have to wait in line behind the idiots who forgot they were going to have to go through security since they last went through and now have to fish in their pockets for every last dime, key, toenail clipper, and also practice their "why do I need a sticker for my phone "speech for the umpteenth time.

tieguy

Banned

and then people would be bringing in three suitcases to work so they could spend more time being searched. Why are partimers bringing bags and cd players and cell phones in the first place. We never brought all that crap when I was part time. Somehow we survived without it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
and then people would be bringing in three suitcases to work so they could spend more time being searched. Why are partimers bringing bags and cd players and cell phones in the first place. We never brought all that crap when I was part time. Somehow we survived without it.

Back when you were a part-timer, CD players and cell phones didnt exist. Neither did metal detectors.:happy-very: