Should M-friend call-ins be forced to work Saturday?

iruhnman630

What is the consensus opinion?

Anyone who calls in during the week here can be forced to work on Saturday, on less than 24 hours notice, to minimize or avoid 6th day punches, both to save the o.t. and to protect the younger drivers who may have been forced in on Monday from a 6th day while others have worked less than 5.

I understand both arguments, but becoming a 6-day operation and taking on the expenses was UPS' decision, and being at the bottom of any job will have drawbacks for those employees.

The whole intent of the 22.4 language in our contract, as sold by the union, was to protect higher seniority from weekend work, but the union isn't standing by that intent when they approve of this.

Cowboy Mac

In the southern supplement, we have 5 day work week language. Management here tries to say that if you call in one day, you only have 4 punches and are required to work Saturday.
This is not true. An option day or personal holiday counts as a punch because it is paid. If you take a layoff that’s a different story.

Cowboy Mac

By the way, that 5 day work week language in the southern is conflicting with the 22.4 language that mentions forcing by seniority for Saturday work. I have several grievances settled in my favor in support of the 5 day work week language over Article 22.4.

a911scanner

5 day week language in the Central too. You are scheduled M-friend. End of the story.

You may have to fight it with grievances, but if the language is there for you, YOU WIN.

Anyone who calls in during the week here can be forced to work on Saturday, on less than 24 hours notice, to minimize or avoid 6th day punches, both to save the o.t. and to protect the younger drivers who may have been forced in on Monday from a 6th day while others have worked less than 5.

I understand both arguments, but becoming a 6-day operation and taking on the expenses was UPS' decision, and being at the bottom of any job will have drawbacks for those employees.

The whole intent of the 22.4 language in our contract, as sold by the union, was to protect higher seniority from weekend work, but the union isn't standing by that intent when they approve of this.
Not that they would force me in for a six punch but if I called off during the week and I work Saturday that would still be time and half for me all day

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

If you get sick during the week they make you work Saturday as punishment? Sounds like harassment.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
In the southern supplement, we have 5 day work week language. Management here tries to say that if you call in one day, you only have 4 punches and are required to work Saturday.
This is not true. An option day or personal holiday counts as a punch because it is paid. If you take a layoff that’s a different story.
In Atlantic saturdays are automatic overtime regardless of punch number. Cannot force saturdays outside peak season and have to give either 24 or 48 hours notice if Saturday is added into individuals schedule. Our center has a standby on call list but language doesn’t recognize this so whoever is listed as “on call” can call out with no repercussions.

iruhnman630

If you get sick during the week they make you work Saturday as punishment? Sounds like harassment.
Or take a day off to get vaccinated. Go figure.

AND we get charged an svd day if we have them, so we get penalized twice.

The stewards know I completely disagree with this policy

Whereistheunion

Like the name implies, where is the UNION. Absolutely shouldn't be forced to punch in on Saturday that's garbage.

charm299

By the way, that 5 day work week language in the southern is conflicting with the 22.4 language that mentions forcing by seniority for Saturday work. I have several grievances settled in my favor in support of the 5 day work week language over Article 22.4.
It’s not conflicting, it says they can force from the bottom up IF your supplement says so. Southern supplement says 5 day work week.