Snowstorm

Here's a YouTube video from my dashcam. On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, we had a major snowstorm in the Sierras. I was heading back to Sacramento from Reno. This video occurred just above Emigrant Gap, about 5500 feet elevation. I had chains on, but Caltrans wasn't plowing the roads. They weren't expecting the storm, I guess no one there watches the news. In this video, I'm on a steep downhill grade. I hit my brakes and started sliding. You can see the rest for yourself. I'm just grateful I had an escape to the right of the two cars.

Pickles

Wow. Close call. Glad you're ok. Can't believe you're rocking a dash cam. Probably smart. Or stupid. Depending on how the company feels that day.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I disagree. He maintained his following distance, was prepared for the unexpected and was able to bring the vehicle to a safe stop.

The first thing that I thought when I started watching was, "wow, why be so close to someone in the snow". He's completely lucky that the otger cars lost control just right to create a path for him.

Show the video to your sup's, let's see if they think you were too close

Well Austin, I knew I'd be opening myself up for criticism posting this. Part of it is to let other see. What you don't know is the posted speed limit with chains on is 30 mph. I was doing about 25 mph, and had been safely for the previous 40 miles from Truckee. It was just this one downgrade that gave everyone problems. And yes, I got very lucky the two cars were on the shoulder, opening the left lane. After I came to a stop, I didn't move again for about 40 minutes. At the end you can see a bit of the parking lot the freeway had become. Up ahead, there is an uphill climb and there were a series of spinouts that made the CHP shut the road down until they cleaned it up. You should have heard the CB chatter.

DOK

I disagree. He maintained his following distance, was prepared for the unexpected and was able to bring the vehicle to a safe stop.

To me the following distance does not seem far enough for the conditions and the weight of the vehicle he is driving, I would think it needed to be at least triple what it appears in the video, that's my opinion only.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To me the following distance does not seem far enough for the conditions and the weight of the vehicle he is driving, I would think it needed to be at least triple what it appears in the video, that's my opinion only.

He was only going 25 mph, which means he should have had 4-6 seconds of following distance, which he did.

DOK

4-6 seconds is for normal conditions. Need to adjust and increase it according to weather conditions and the weight of the load.

That's my opinion as well. With the snow, it being a steep downgrade, and the weight of the load, it just doesn't seem like a big enough space cushion. But that is me judging it from a video and being 2700 miles away.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah following distance was what I was thinking too.

It's easy to sit here and play Monday morning qb though.

Glad you made it out safe op.