Snowstorm

To the Original Poster, it's hard for me to judge all the variables here but let ask you these questions: when those brake lights from the car in front of you turned bright red, did you start to sweat? Did you start muttering/praying under your breath? Were you in a slight state of panic that grew in intensity before subsiding, punctuated by a "thank god"? If yes to any of the questions, then you were following too closely for the speed you were going and the conditions under which you were driving.

Remember, if you hit a vehicle from behind, there is no question that you will be blamed for such an incident, by everyone, cops, insurance companies, and UPS management.

All that being said, I have had a few close calls in my feeder career as well , so I understand ,it's a continual learning process(heck, what isn't?) . Learn from it if you can.
As I have previously stated, I had been going this speed for forty miles through this storm with chains on. I freely admit I should have increased following distance on this particular downgrade that I know all too well. It is fatiguing driving in these conditions and management does not make allowances for that (excessive stops, excessive length of stops) so its kind of a no win situation. When I first hit the brake I hadn't even passed the other big rig completely. I could just barely see the brake lights up ahead that you can't see in the video. When I started sliding, I started stabbing the brakes as we are taught to do. That did nothing but drop my air pressure to where my warning came on. Then I gently pushed the brake to where it decelerated my without sliding. That deceleration worked, it just took way more time and distance than I would have hoped.
A lot of factors went into this. Caltrans not plowing the roads because they stupidly didn't expect the storm is one. Fatigue versus commitment is another. My somewhat failure to recognize which grade I was on is a factor.
I don't ask anyone to understand all that went into this. I don't feel I did anything wrong. I kept my head on straight in a bad situation. I could have panicked and just plowed into those people, but I checked my mirrors and found the opening. "Keep your eyes moving." "Find the safe path well ahead." It wasn't "well ahead" but it was as soon as I could find it. Everyone can judge me all they want, it isn't going to affect me. I've been on that run for two years now and I've had some other scary situations. Its part of the run.
But to answer your questions: one, I was braking (or trying to) before the car did; two, I think a prayer or two did come out; and three, I was absolutely panicking until I saw that escape rout to the right. Then I was praying the wheels would go where I wanted them to go.
You are right that it is a never ending learning experience. I will learn from this.

EasyTrucker

Just be lucky you have chains you can drive on. Out here we only have recovery chains and have to drive thru snow like that with half bald tires.

I think I'm officially done with Brown Cafe. Some you are here to do nothing but criticize. I've seen it on other posts as well. Techie, I have no idea what you based that on but you are wrong.
I won't be posting anything else on here to try to help others again. Judge me all you want. I could not possibly care less what you think. Goodbye. I'm deleting this whiny critical judgmental forum.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think I'm officially done with Brown Cafe. Some you are here to do nothing but criticize. I've seen it on other posts as well. Techie, I have no idea what you based that on but you are wrong.
I won't be posting anything else on here to try to help others again. Judge me all you want. I could not possibly care less what you think. Goodbye. I'm deleting this whiny critical judgmental forum.

I hate to see anyone scared off but seriously dude---you have to develop a thicker skin because everyone on here gets beat up a time or two. If you've got balls big enough to drive a big rig through a mountain pass in a snow storm NOTHING on here should bother you at all.

Its called be the new kid on the block
Breath deep and post again

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its called be the new kid on the block
Breath deep and post againm
200.gif
lmfao

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I meant no offense and wasn't even addressing you sir. I was responding to someone else about following distance. You did well avoiding a collision when it was chaos all around you.