So they're adding a shift at my hub

EmraldArcher

Apparently Amazon is building two new warehouses in the area and as a result they are adding a midday sort that will be working from 11-4 (approximately).

Going to be staffed with around 200 hourly employees. From what I have heard they are going to allow 50 employees from both the twilight and midnight shifts bid to it, 30 from the preload and they are going to hire 70 off the street.

The new hires are actually going to be hired before the shift goes into effect so they can be trained and it looks like they're all going to be crammed onto twilight (fine by me, I'll get to go home early for a week or so).

I'm in the top 30 or so for seniority in my shift so I can definitely bid to it if I want but I was wondering how management came up with those numbers. Seems odd that they can just cap the number of people bidding to the new shift at a random number.

Acc0rd

Hey buddy, Im also in the same building your speaking of. They will definitely bid the shift out before they make the final moves. I know of other buildings that changed their midnights/sunrise shifts to Sunday thru Thursday and they were all given a free move and everyone was moved that wanted to be moved due to day shifts. You know half the numbers they toss out are always off the wall. We wont know until it actually starts sometime around Sept from what I was told. Good luck on whatever move you decide on!

Nimnim

The Nim
Yeah, there's still some speculation on the day sort plans, but it's pretty much confirmed it'll start in September or October. Also the bidding is supposed to be in August.

Apparently Amazon is building two new warehouses in the area and as a result they are adding a midday sort that will be working from 11-4 (approximately).

Going to be staffed with around 200 hourly employees. From what I have heard they are going to allow 50 employees from both the twilight and midnight shifts bid to it, 30 from the preload and they are going to hire 70 off the street.

The new hires are actually going to be hired before the shift goes into effect so they can be trained and it looks like they're all going to be crammed onto twilight (fine by me, I'll get to go home early for a week or so).

I'm in the top 30 or so for seniority in my shift so I can definitely bid to it if I want but I was wondering how management came up with those numbers. Seems odd that they can just cap the number of people bidding to the new shift at a random number.

First, I think that senior employees should be allowed to bid on every opening created before new hires are brought in to fill the holes.

That said, they are bring volume back to one of the smaller buildings here and will have some of the CACH drivers go to that building to move it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We don't have 200 employees total in my center, including management.
The BOG can only hold so many people....
200px-KidsGetInBubble-1.jpg

Last edited:

Acc0rd

did someone really say AC? lol. Just like the brown trucks, they prepare you as a PT'er so your ready for it as a FT'er. :)

Nimnim

The Nim
Do Florida hubs get really hot in the summer or are they air conditioned?

It probably gets over 100 at night in my hub with all the equipment running. The fans are nice, but really only when you're right in front of one not doing anything.

The offices are nice and cool from AC though, but the rest of at least my hub wouldn't have AC unless they rebuilt it. We have a hard enough time not getting water inside when it rains.

Acc0rd

No UPS I have ever seen is AC'd. Only the offices. Good reason behind that is you have to pull the trucks in and out of the building, plus back the feeders on to open doors. With the vast amount of space, AC'ing a building period is VERY VERY expensive. And, we all know UPS is cheap as hell. They wont even give us Christmas Turkeys anymore:( Living around FL my whole life, it doesn't really bother me either. You just get used to it!