Sorter/Unloader to Part time Supervisor

TwoFingeredWillie

How long does the process usually take? I've submitted the paperwork and have gone thru the "first step". I understand there will be a test which is the "second step".

UPSGUY72

Please explain.

Your chances of getting promoted to FT SUP from PT is about .01%. Just about the same chance of being able to go back to a PT sorter/ loader after being a PT SUP. If your looking for a career with UPS I would stay a PT sorter/ loader untill your get a chance to get a drivers job. After you get a drivers job if you still want to go into management you will have alot more opportunities. Most of the FT SUP started right where you are and become drivers first.

TwoFingeredWillie

Your chances of getting promoted to FT SUP from PT is about .01%. Just about the same chance of being able to go back to a PT sorter/ loader after being a PT SUP. If your looking for a career with UPS I would stay a PT sorter/ loader untill your get a chance to get a drivers job. After you get a drivers job if you still want to go into management you will have alot more opportunities. Most of the FT SUP started right where you are and become drivers first.

Duly noted.

Any reason why it's difficult to go from PT SUP to FT SUP. Sounds like a chronological jump. :smart:

Doesn't it take a year of employment and then you request to be a driver and then you're put on a list?

And what about my original question to start off this thread? :wink2:

Nimnim

The Nim
It's a numbers game really. This center/hub/facility needs x number of PT sups, they have y openings and z applicants. When y gets large enough they sift through z and pass some through. Each area tries to also do this a certain number of times a year. I'm pretty sure my hub does that twice a year, and we've got sups doing their "hub school" now so if you were in my hub it'd probably be 4-6 months before you had a chance again.

As far as PT to FT sup, it's really a huge numbers game, we've got somewhere around 30-35 PT sups at my facility, and like 6 FT sups just on my shift. So more or less until 1 of the current FT sups leaves, either the company or goes elsewhere, none of the PT sups have much of a chance of going FT unless they are given an option to transfer. Many, and I really mean almost all, PT sups don't ever make it to FT even if they have the qualifications, there's just not enough openings for it.

TwoFingeredWillie

Doing a search here at the site it seems that most people seem to think it's better to be a sort/unloader than a part-time supervisor.

Is it easier, and if yes why, to become a driver from a sorter/unloader position or from a part-time supervisor position?

Is a part-time supervisor still union?

What does the union do for us exactly?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Doing a search here at the site it seems that most people seem to think it's better to be a sort/unloader than a part-time supervisor.

Is it easier, No, just different and if yes why, to become a driver from a sorter/unloader position or from a part-time supervisor position? Yes, probably from Union position because driver positions are filled at a 6 to 1 ratio union to non-union.

Is a part-time supervisor still union? NO

What does the union do for us exactly?

It depends on what your long-term goals with UPS are.
If you want to be a UPS Driver, it is better to stay a Union employee - P/T Loader/Unloader.
If you want to go into UPS Management, it is probably marginally better to go into P/T Supervision (which is not a Union position) assuming you get a college degree.
If you are looking to work part-time and get a college degree and then have a job on your resume that will impress potential employers, definitely go into P/T Supervision.

TwoFingeredWillie

It depends on what your long-term goals with UPS are.
If you want to be a UPS Driver, it is better to stay a Union employee - P/T Loader/Unloader.
If you want to go into UPS Management, it is probably marginally better to go into P/T Supervision (which is not a Union position) assuming you get a college degree.
If you are looking to work part-time and get a college degree and then have a job on your resume that will impress potential employers, definitely go into P/T Supervision.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it!

How long does it usually take to go from sorter/unloader to part-time supervisor?

btrlov

It all depends on your building it could be a couple of months than again it could be years.

it depends on the slots open, but a FT sup is such a lucrative position it usually take years to slide into one. I know a guy who was a pt sup for 8 years, and just made ft sup.after a ft sup went into another building.