Sparrow nest at my front door entrance !

klein

Für Meno :)
Got one of those retractable front door screens, however it wasn't fully retracted, now a Sparrow built a cone shape nest into it.
I'll take pictures soon.

I read up on it, they are like humans in life - the male builds it's nest, then goes looking for a female ( I think he found one lately) ! LOL

Anyways, what would you do , take it down or let them have their nest ?
It's odd, becaue everytime I walk out the door or arrive home, he flys away.
The nest is barely in height as myself - I can tippy toe and look inside it.
And my outdoor propane BBQ is also located outfront - now I need to worry about smoking them out :(

But, on the other hand, I think it's kind of neat I have new close neighbors, and even thinking of hooking up a video cam and live stream the process they make.

Anyways, what would you do ? Get rid of the nest that the bird did so much work on, or let mother nature take it's course ?
Personally, I'm leaving it there, and maybe I can befriend them or their off spring ?

klein

Well, that answers it, I just put a bird bath on my BBQ shelf for them.
Was even thinking of getting a bird feeder, but quickly changed my mind.
They will keep my place, and close surroundings, bug & misquito free if they eat natural.

That will be a benefit :)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here, there are laws (at least for swallows) once the nest is built....you cannot knock it down. All the time the building is taking place we squirt down the mud and shoo the birds away.

Right now I have a hummingbird nesting on a branch of a hibiscus bush . Almost cut the branch while trimming . Saw it in time to stop. The 2 eggs have hatched and the 2 beings in the nest are as yet unrecognizeable.

klein

My bird was a busy friend...er !
The other day I went out the door, he flew away, and I looked, seen nothing.
Then the next day the nest was built !
Actually, I think he's still working on it - making it perfect.

As long as they don't leave a mess behind, I won't mind .
I might even feed the young ones hamburger meat, and try to let them get to know me.

I'll see - still not sure if he found his mate or not.

moreluck

golden ticket member

I might even feed the young ones hamburger meat, and try to let them get to know me.

Best to leave them alone and don't feed anything. The mess will be bird poop on your stoop, slab,step, whatever it is you have.

klein

Good ideal, I'll put a flattned out cardboard box underneath. I have a wooden , white, porch. Not good to take on birdie crap.

texan

Klein.jpg

Got one of those retractable front door screens, however it wasn't fully retracted, now a Sparrow built a cone shape nest into it.
I'll take pictures soon.

I read up on it, they are like humans in life - the male builds it's nest, then goes looking for a female ( I think he found one lately) ! LOL

Anyways, what would you do , take it down or let them have their nest ?
It's odd, becaue everytime I walk out the door or arrive home, he flys away.
The nest is barely in height as myself - I can tippy toe and look inside it.
And my outdoor propane BBQ is also located outfront - now I need to worry about smoking them out :(

But, on the other hand, I think it's kind of neat I have new close neighbors, and even thinking of hooking up a video cam and live stream the process they make.

Anyways, what would you do ? Get rid of the nest that the bird did so much work on, or let mother nature take it's course ?
Personally, I'm leaving it there, and maybe I can befriend them or their off spring ?
Leave it nature is so beautiful. We recently had one on a fence post right off our patio. We could see it all through the whole process and the dedication that the mother and father is something to behold. These birds were robins and the whole family kinda felt like part of our family.

klein

I just got home, like always around midnight or later.
I know the little sucker is sleeping in his nest, so I just talk to him, make a few chirp noises, just to let him know there is nothing to be afraid of.

I'm not even sure if they are tight sleepers or not, but he sure doesn't fly away at night - only during the day when I open up the door.

I named him Peter today ! :)

klein

Are both your friends Peter now?

I just figured, Peter sounds better than Pecker ! LOL

And always remember that animals, even dogs sould have atleast 2 syllables, because it's very hard for them just to undertand one.
For example, don't name your dog "Duke", but rather "Dukie" .

klein

I just went upfront and checked for Peter. I think he' on a tree somewhere chirping away to find his female.
Checked my bird bath - feathers in it - he used it already :)

Any suggestions for his future female partner ? I'm thinking of Sandy, maybe fethrs ? ;)

klein

I just had some french bread for lunch, and they kinda crumple when slicing.
So, I put those left over bread crumbs next to Peters bird bath.

Am I a sucker or what ?
If he doesn't find a girlfriend now, with all those supplies, then he must be a bad and ugly bird LOL

Or maybe, he doesn't know how to chirp properly ?
He's on a tree infront of my lawn, trying hard LOL

Oh yeah, decided to call his future g/friend fethrs, in honour of one of our best BC members.
Even though she loves cats, and they would kill my beloved bird(s) :(

Last edited:

klein

I was worried about Peter (the Pecker), haven't seen him in 2 days.
Just went out to start up the BBQ, and he was in his nest.
Glad he stayed, I said hi to him :) But, I'll need to go back out there soon and throw on my nice juicy T-Bone !