Station closing

FalconAss

The person that posted this on Facebook doesn't work for fedex. And I think they have given a lot more than 30 days notice. Pretty sure this is fake news. Be happy to be proved wrong though

MassWineGuy

Probably so. But it’s also pretty darned interesting that it didn’t work in some places and they had to bring back Express drivers. Can you spell kaboom?

FedupExpress

Probably so. But it’s also pretty darned interesting that it didn’t work in some places and they had to bring back Express drivers. Can you spell kaboom?
A manager at my station said Honolulu is a disaster, 60k packages a day since the merger... Everyone working 12 hours.

bbsam

Staff member
By far the single greatest value displaced Express drivers have to offer and never forget it is their proven ability to work productively in one of if not the most increasingly hostile, culturally diverse and publicly scrutinized workplace environments in America.
Contrary to what others including Dano ( and nobody pays any attention to him anyway) claim not everyone can operate in that environment and for those who can it's takes a year before it becomes second nature,
Therefore, if a displaced Express driver is approached by a Ground contractor especially one who is very short handed (likely to be a lot of those) simply say...." Look this is what I made at Express. This is what I would be making 2 years from now under the step system. This is my healthcare, vacation and pension plan. And therefore these are my terms am I'm worth it".

Now if that contractor or his cannon fodder BC (Business Contact) is just standing there with that Buggs Bunny look on his face and his thumb stuck up a nontraditional bodily orifice you'll immediately know that all that's going to be there for you is an overly generous supply of lies and deceptions.....So you just turn around and walk away and for Christ's sake don't fall for one of those front loaded big cash up front deals which are almost always based on impossible stop totals while having nothing at the back end in the way of a much needed benefit plan.....You're worth way more than that so set your market not the contractor's .
This is kinda silly. If somebody WANTS to work for Ground, it is what it is. Don’t think any contractor is going to sweet talk a former courier into it. We’re not impressed.

And any contractor who’s been around remembers HD and Ground combining. A Ground driver doing HD was simple. An HD driver doing Ground was a real PITA. Getting Express couriers to spend 7to 8 hours a day delivering bed frames, bulk stops, and swimming pools…no. I don’t think so.

bacha29

This is kinda silly. If somebody WANTS to work for Ground, it is what it is. Don’t think any contractor is going to sweet talk a former courier into it. We’re not impressed.

And any contractor who’s been around remembers HD and Ground combining. A Ground driver doing HD was simple. An HD driver doing Ground was a real PITA. Getting Express couriers to spend 7to 8 hours a day delivering bed frames, bulk stops, and swimming pools…no. I don’t think so.
EXACTLY. Displaced Express couriers need to present their bottom line demands to Ground contractors who want them for their skills and experience. Stand their ground and draw their line in the dirt. If they're not met move on or make use of any federal job retraining opportunities and get into another line of work altogether.

bbsam

Staff member
EXACTLY. Displaced Express couriers need to present their bottom line demands to Ground contractors who want them for their skills and experience. Stand their ground and draw their line in the dirt. If they're not met move on or make use of any federal job retraining opportunities and get into another line of work altogether.
Agreed. Give me your demands. I’m all for a good joke.

FedupExpress

I am at a huge station and the consensus is no one will work for ground. The funniest reactions come from the former ground guys at my station, they are shaking in their boots.

MAKAVELI

It is silly to think someone who has been working for the company to accept more work for less money. But that's exactly what FedEx wants. For a lot of Express drivers, it's not a question of if they can spend 7 to 8 hours a day delivering big heavy 💩. But why? Why would they go over to Ground to work harder for less?

bbsam

Staff member
It is silly to think someone who has been working for the company to accept more work for less money. But that's exactly what FedEx wants. For a lot of Express drivers, it's not a question of if they can spend 7 to 8 hours a day delivering big heavy 💩. But why? Why would they go over to Ground to work harder for less?
Agreed. But why would I want the headache of hiring them knowing how it’s going to end up?

MAKAVELI

Agreed. But why would I want the headache of hiring them knowing how it’s going to end up?
Because an Express driver knows how to del and pu Express services. If you end up taking the majority of Express services, you might want to have some experienced drivers that know what that entails. It's exactly why FedEx has opened a " Star Courier" position to essentially train Ground drivers at merged stations.